LegacyGT.com

If you knew about the Stutter before your purchase would you still buy your Legacy GT

VTGT

Would u have bought the GT if u knew about the Stuttering?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Would u have bought the GT if u knew about the Stuttering?

• Yes
    • NO

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have owened a few Subarus and I was always happy with them so I would have to say yes and take my chances. I was not aware of the problem befor I bought mine. I'm getting an AP soon so I hope it will solve the problem.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

Call me anal, but I TEST DROVE mine before I bought it. Hellooooo....I mean, are people seeing some issue after they buy the car that wasn't there during the test drive?!?!

The drivability of these cars at low revs is maybe not the greatest out there, but it's tolerable. I think, depending on driver input, this can manifest itself as a "stutter". I also think it's easier to say "oh, this car stutters, it's the car's fault", rather than saying "hmm, maybe I need to rethink how I modulate the throttle".

My LGT is a very early build date -- June, '04 -- and the only thing resembling a "stutter" is the fact that the throttle is difficult to modulate properly at low revs. Maybe it has to do with the turbo engine being a lower compression engine than the NA engine. I don't know, I'm not a tech guy. I'm not disputing that drivability at the low end could be improved (which is one of the main reasons I'm getting a Cobb stage 1 very soon), but for Chrissakes, instead of whining about it, work on learning to drive the car better.

I feel the same way about the "clutch stink". I've experienced that maybe five or six times in 15,000 miles, and it was when I (or my wife) slipped the clutch excessively. My A4's clutch stunk when I slipped it excessively too; any car will do that, although, yeah, it seems to happen more easily with the LGT, probably due to the vague clutch.

These are great cars, and I get kind of annoyed when people read some posts on a message board and say "oh, my car's got this problem everyone's talking about", rather than saying "gee, maybe I have to learn to drive this car a little bit differently than others I've had in the past."

Rant off.

These are great cars, and I get kind of annoyed when people read some posts on a message board and say "oh, my car's got this problem everyone's talking about", rather than saying "gee, maybe I have to learn to drive this car a little bit differently than others I've had in the past."

It's like when Audi 5000 drivers stomped on the accelerator instead of the brake because the pedals were closer together than they were used to, and then when they found out some other people had done the same thing, they cried "Unintended acceleration! It's obviously the car's fault!"

Call me anal, but I TEST DROVE mine before I bought it. Hellooooo....I mean, are people seeing some issue after they buy the car that wasn't there during the test drive?!?!

The drivability of these cars at low revs is maybe not the greatest out there, but it's tolerable. I think, depending on driver input, this can manifest itself as a "stutter". I also think it's easier to say "oh, this car stutters, it's the car's fault", rather than saying "hmm, maybe I need to rethink how I modulate the throttle".

My LGT is a very early build date -- June, '04 -- and the only thing resembling a "stutter" is the fact that the throttle is difficult to modulate properly at low revs. Maybe it has to do with the turbo engine being a lower compression engine than the NA engine. I don't know, I'm not a tech guy. I'm not disputing that drivability at the low end could be improved (which is one of the main reasons I'm getting a Cobb stage 1 very soon), but for Chrissakes, instead of whining about it, work on learning to drive the car better.

I feel the same way about the "clutch stink". I've experienced that maybe five or six times in 15,000 miles, and it was when I (or my wife) slipped the clutch excessively. My A4's clutch stunk when I slipped it excessively too; any car will do that, although, yeah, it seems to happen more easily with the LGT, probably due to the vague clutch.

Rant off.

It's like you read my mind. Drive before you buy, and learn to adapt your driving to suit the car. This is a great vehicle.

Rant off.

ditto plus+ a zillion

This was like when the STi 1st came out,,Hey fellas it's drive by wire,,,It's gonna feel different!!! Adapt to it! Quit your whinning and learn how to drive a stick with drive by wire!

Ok my rants over,,you guys with stutter may now feel free to flame me.

Rudy

I also tend to get annoyed by people complaining about minor issues, but what aggravates me more is when people dismiss another's problem. Just because you haven't experienced an issue does not mean it doesn't exist. Not everyone's car drives identically.

Mine stutters; when accelerating under 3k rpms and when cruising in 2nd in traffic (not accelerating); my clutch stinks when slipped even the slightest bit. I've adjusted my driving to make these issues less common, but don't try and tell me, and the others experiencing it, that we just need to improve our driving. I've driven many manual transmission cars. Many had their own (sometimes much worse) issues, but these are unique to this car.

Your typical test drive last 5-10 minutes, and when it's a car you've never driven before you expect a less than smooth shifting experience. None of my "issues" with the car would have kept me from buying it, but does that mean I should keep my mouth shut? When I can afford to I will get an AP, but for now I like hearing that others are experiencing the same issues. It confirms my sanity. And I think there are enough reports to consider it valid. If you aren't experiencing it, and don't want to read about it, don't open the thread. I don't read threads about different coilovers...because they don't apply to me.

i found this board the day or 2 after i bought my car i believe, or right about..so i had no idea of th stutter before hand..knowing that..doing mods i would have done no matter what..exhaust work and AP, i virtually eliminated this stutter people talk of..and to be honest..its a turbo car, if you keep it where its supposed to be in the RPM's you will NEVER experience this stutter...and to announce my answer bodly..I WOULD BUY IT ALL OVER AGAIN KNOWING IT WILL STTTUTTTTTER LIKE STANELY FROM 6TH SENSE.

This is my first car with drive-by-wire, as well as a hydraulic clutch. Took a bit to get used to, but with my driving habits with a manual, clutch stink and stutter have not been issues. I got some stink in the beginning when I slipped it too much, but now that I'm used to it, it doesn't stink, not even when running at the dragstrip.

When I see some of the driving situations where folks get stutter, I agree with rfd425, it's the way you drive it.

Ron

this topics been beaten more times than that horsey in mike's closet.

Probably on par with:

How should I break it in?

What oil should I use?

I hate RE92s!

And the few million posts in that airbox mod thread!! :lol:

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
Probably on par with:

How should I break it in?

What oil should I use?

I hate RE92s!

And the few million posts in that airbox mod thread!! :lol:

Sometimes I get clutch stink. Anyone else with this problem???:lol:

I have a ton of "stutter." So to answer your thread question "No" I wouldnt have purchased the car if I knew about this problem before hand. For all the smart asses out there I did do a 10 min. test drive before I bought the car and didnt notice it. I did however notice it on the way home. A matter of fact I just sent out my lemon law papers 2 days ago and cant wait to get rid of this car. Apparently Subaru building cars in Indiana isnt such a great idea. How many people now have found Milawaukee beer cans under the hood???:lol:

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Has anyone noticed it's hard to shift into reverse? And the turn signals often don't cancel when you straighten out the car?:icon_bigg

WTF are you talking about? Learn to drive your car properly, don't complain to us!

BTW, I experience the infamous stuttering and it doesn't matter if I cruise with a constant throttle position, roll the throttle on, or stomp on the throttle.

Fore some of us there is a real problem problem with the car between 2k and 3k RPM that can not be avoided and is inconsistant. If this were a characteristic of the car it would happen all the time under certain circumstances, but that is not the case.

I vote no. I would have gotten the MazdaSpeed 6. The AWD wouldn't be as good for the winters, but I would have a smooth revving car that could kill a stock GT through any sort of twisties, and stop much better too.

WTF are you talking about? Learn to drive your car properly, don't complain to us!
It's usually a good idea to use a smiley if you are joking or being facetious, such as the one I used in the post you quoted. That way, people have a better idea of your intent.

On the off chance you are serious, WTF does the turn signal not cancelling have to do with me learning to drive my car? Or the reverse gear that occasionally requires double clutching? I only mentioned those things because they are other common complaints of whiners.

What I said in my first post in this thread still applies: did you test-drive the LGT before you bought it? Did the stutter magically appear after you paid for, and took delivery of, the car? I don't think so. What do you suppose is different about your car than mine, that causes you this stutter and not me? Could it be..........wait for it...........the driver?

first car (of my own), first car with e-throttle, first car with three pedals. love the car and would recommend the automatic wagon version to my parents.

no studder for me though, just a bit of hesitation if i romp on it at low revs. then again i know most of the hesitation is from the e-throttle not the car. however i DO get a burst of acceleration as i'm backing the throttle off from the floor. when i'm backing the throttle off near the redline, it does seem to accelerate more at 80% than 100%. i hope the AP fixes this and the studder/hesitation 'problem' that i do not experiance.

Archived