LegacyGT.com

If you knew about the Stutter before your purchase would you still buy your Legacy GT

VTGT

Would u have bought the GT if u knew about the Stuttering?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Would u have bought the GT if u knew about the Stuttering?

• Yes
    • NO

What I said in my first post in this thread still applies: did you test-drive the LGT before you bought it? Did the stutter magically appear after you paid for, and took delivery of, the car? I don't think so. What do you suppose is different about your car than mine, that causes you this stutter and not me? Could it be..........wait for it...........the driver?

Yes I did test drive the car -- twice in fact. I also test drive a MazdaSpeed 6. Yes the stutter did only appear after I bought the car. That doesn't seem strange to me because even now it only happens ocassionally. Why the hell do you think you know so much about my experience with my LGT and the experiences of others who have cars that stutter? You have not driven our exact cars, so to tell us we don't even know what we're experiencing and that we need to drive our cars properly is presumptuous and insulting.

I was joking around about not knowing how to drive your car because that is what you implied in one of your other posts about people who suffer from the stuttering, that it is just a characteristic of the car, learn how to drive a car with a turbo, etc.

You obviously don't understand what the stutter is because you haven't experienced it. Consider yourself lucky. To tell me that there is nothing wrong with my car when it bucks and shutters on occasion, no matter how I apply the throttle, and it only does this because of my poor driving skills, ......................... blah blah blah blah

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I've stated in the past, I have observed what I call the "2K Rule" for many manual tranny cars over the years. Basically, it is that I am always in a gear that has me cruising at 2K or better.

In doing so, in 41K miles, I have never had the stutter.

If anyone lugs a small 2.5 engine off-boost with a drive-by-wire, it's out of it's element.

Ron

I never cruise below 2K RPM either and I never experience stutter when I'm below 2K, starting up from a start. Nothing unusual anyway, I've driven manual cars for years and know what to expect. The problem is between 2K and 3K (usuall happens right beofre 3K).

This isn't just lugging the engine. I've experienced that too and it is different.

Yes I did test drive the car......http://www.mazdas247.com:8080/smilies/blah.gif......Yes the stutter did only appear after I bought the car......http://www.mazdas247.com:8080/smilies/blah.gif......even now it only happens ocassionally......http://www.mazdas247.com:8080/smilies/blah.gif...... You have not driven our exact cars, so to tell us we don't even know what we're experiencing and that we need to drive our cars properly is presumptuous and insulting......http://www.mazdas247.com:8080/smilies/blah.gif.....You obviously don't understand what the stutter is because you haven't experienced it......http://www.mazdas247.com:8080/smilies/blah.gif...... To tell me that there is nothing wrong with my car when it bucks and shutters on occasion, no matter how I apply the throttle......http://www.mazdas247.com:8080/smilies/blah.gif
Really, pal, you're using the exact same logic as those women who crashed their Audi 5000's back in the '80's because they accidentally mashed the accelerator instead of the brake. "Well, my car is one of the ones that has the problem. And it's only occasionally. I didn't do anything wrong. It can't be my fault."
whah whah whah whah.
You might be right, but you should be aware that the moderators of this site frown on that sort of name-calling.

Yes I did test drive the car -- twice in fact. I also test drive a MazdaSpeed 6. Yes the stutter did only appear after I bought the car. That doesn't seem strange to me because even now it only happens ocassionally. Why the hell do you think you know so much about my experience with my LGT and the experiences of others who have cars that stutter? You have not driven our exact cars, so to tell us we don't even know what we're experiencing and that we need to drive our cars properly is presumptuous and insulting.

I was joking around about not knowing how to drive your car because that is what you implied in one of your other posts about people who suffer from the stuttering, that it is just a characteristic of the car, learn how to drive a car with a turbo, etc.

You obviously don't understand what the stutter is because you haven't experienced it. Consider yourself lucky. To tell me that there is nothing wrong with my car when it bucks and shutters on occasion, no matter how I apply the throttle, and it only does this because of my poor driving skills, ............. .

I'm with ya brother. My experience with my car is near identical to yours. But alas I must not know how to drive it either.

I didnt get the invite to the LGT V.I.P. all star driver training class after I purchased the car. Was it something I had to pay extra for???

Really, pal, you're using the exact same logic as those women who crashed their Audi 5000's back in the '80's because they accidentally mashed the accelerator instead of the brake. "Well, my car is one of the ones that has the problem. And it's only occasionally. I didn't do anything wrong. It can't be my fault."You might be right, but you should be aware that the moderators of this site frown on that sort of name-calling.

I think smashing a car because of a defect and dealing with a car that the manufacturer acknowledges has a defect are 2 completely different things. Basically you're saying this guy is driving his car incorrectly thats why he is experiencing this stutter.

I think you need to step back, put your Subaru love to the side, and come to grips that your (and mine, unfortunately) beloved car has some serious quirks. What makes you the final say in this guys' issue with his car anyway? He has you pinned calling you pretentious.

To tell me that there is nothing wrong with my car when it bucks and shutters on occasion, no matter how I apply the throttle, and it only does this because of my poor driving skills, ......................

I must not know how to drive it either.

I didnt get the invite to the LGT V.I.P. all star driver training class after I purchased the car. Was it something I had to pay extra for???

I really don't see why this is such an ego thing with you guys, that you just absolutely aren't willing to consider the possibility that you, the driver, might have some influence on this "problem" you are experiencing. Nobody is saying you are a poor driver; I'm just saying that maybe the throttle on this car acts differently than other cars you've driven in the past, and maybe you have to adjust your driving style accordingly.

There are a lot of people on this board who have never experienced any stutter that they consider to be a flaw or problem, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the build date of the car. Metal2You, when you say that the problem only happens "occasionally", and randomly, it really doesn't lend much credibility to your argument. What do you think is causing it to happen, and why have my car and many others never suffered from a similar problem? I'm trying to think what the variables could be, and other than bad gas, I can only think of one.

You guys basically have three choices:

1. Try to adjust to the car's throttle behavior.

2. Get rid of the LGT and get another car.

3. Keep the LGT, and keep whining about it.

In any case, like Tide said,

this topics been beaten more times than that horsey in mike's closet.
Nobody's breaking any new ground here, least of all you guys.

I really don't see why this is such an ego thing with you guys, that you just absolutely aren't willing to consider the possibility that you, the driver, might have some influence on this "problem" you are experiencing. Nobody is saying you are a poor driver; I'm just saying that maybe the throttle on this car acts differently than other cars you've driven in the past, and maybe you have to adjust your driving style accordingly.

There are a lot of people on this board who have never experienced any stutter that they consider to be a flaw or problem, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the build date of the car. Metal2You, when you say that the problem only happens "occasionally", and randomly, it really doesn't lend much credibility to your argument. What do you think is causing it to happen, and why have my car and many others never suffered from a similar problem? I'm trying to think what the variables could be, and other than bad gas, I can only think of one.

You guys basically have three choices:

1. Try to adjust to the car's throttle behavior.

2. Get rid of the LGT and get another car.

3. Keep the LGT, and keep whining about it.

In any case, like Tide said,

Nobody's breaking any new ground here, least of all you guys.

I don't know why you haven't experienced the stuttering, and neither do you, nobody does. What is different between our two cars? Well unless someone tears them both down completely and inspects every single component of the engine and drivetrain then we'll never know. Maybe I have a gague or sensor that malfunctions from time to time.

Maybe nothing is different with the car. Perhaps environmental factors like altitude, humidity, ambient temp., or fuel composition influence the problem. For you to say there is no problem because you have not experienced it and you don't know what is different between our cars does not prove anything, that isn't how logic works.

The fact that the stuttering is only oaccasional does not at all discredit my statements. Is it that difficult for you to believe that there may be a specific scenario which is only rarely encountered that induces the stuttering?

My ego only got involved because you act like you drive the car in a way that prevents this from happening, and the rest of us are idiots for blaming our cars for our own driving habbits. You're not fooling anyone into thinking your ego is not invloved when you make statements like this one.

Your ego is preventing you from actually reading and comprehending what myself and others are describing. You are not being logical. Were you to actually read what we are trying to convey, you would see that this isn't a matter of throttle response or anything like that. If this were the case then the problem would be consistant and I could actually adjust my driving habbits to avoid the stuttering. I'm sure as hell not going to do nothing but 3K starts and never cruise below 3K to avoid the problem.

For my car to be fine and have no problems 98% of the time, then experience stuttering when I have not changed anything, indicates a problem with the car's behavior, though at this point I don't expect you to be able to understand that simple concept.

I think what rfd means is that there is a possibility (albiet slight) that the peoblem is the driver, not the car. He's not saying that it is definitely you. He's just making you aware of the possiblility. I'm one of the many people that have gone from a cheapo car to one with an e-throttle, and I acknowledge the fact that it might be me that is causing it. I also acknowledge the fact that nobody has proved that the stuttering is a mechanical defect - yet. Until then, I am open to any suggestion.
The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

I will admit that it is possible some people mistake the characteristics of the car for a stuttering, especially if they read about it here or heard about it, then they drive with a a technique not suited for this car and think it must be a problem with the car.

I have experienced less than smooth starts that are certianly due to my less than perfect technique.

But, AGAIN, this stuttering that I am talking about, and I'm sure others have experienced it too, is different. From time to time we get a stuttering that doesn't normally occure, and when it does our throttle and clutch use does not play a part. I can say our driving habbits do not play a part because I've experienced the stutter during all sorts of different throttle applications, and the clutch has been fully engaged for quite some time. I assure you all that I have the ability to know and admit when I cause less than optimal operation, and I can also tell when the car has done something it normally doesn't do.

I know I can't convince you all, and I've said my part so now I'm done arguing over the Internet. I need to stop before I go completely mad!

Peace.

Thanks Dave :lol:

Ding ding ding we have a w1nn3r :)

Ok so SOA released this "ECU reflash" to correct this defect because half of the people who drive this car do so incorrectly??? Anybody with this "driver is the problem" opinion is a complete bonehead. You're obviously too blinded by your Subaru bias and ego to come to grips with the fact that this car was ill-engineered. This is my second Subaru, and my last, but I've realized you REALLY have to love this car to look past all of this models' and all Subarus' for that matter shortcomings.

If I had a penny for how many wheel bearings have been replaced before these cars (and once again ALL Subarus) broke 10K miles I'd be a multi-millionaire. Flame suit's zipped up nice and tight... :icon_wink

I've never had the dreaded studder (knockwood) but I would like to drive an LGT that does have the phenomenom to see what's up. However, I voted no because had I come across this discussion while DDing potential cars, I probably would have crossed the LGT off my candidate list immediately.

Metal2You - Is this your first turbo car?

Proves its driver error :icon_wink

Well i have a 5eat. It sometimes does this at 1500 rpm. Then anywhere between 2k-3k. I know how to avoid it most of the time, it it still feels strange when it happens. I guess you could call it bogging but in my opinion the automatic transmission should help that by either upshifting or downshifting.

Ok so SOA released this "ECU reflash" to correct this defect because half of the people who drive this car do so incorrectly???
The ECU reflash was meant to improve low-end drivability, because a number of people were complaining that they couldn't drive the car smoothly, and it must be a defect.

Metalhead's car is an '06, which came out after the reflash was released, so he has the updated engine management software. Yet, his car still stutters, but only occasionally and randomly. :rolleyes:

My car, on the other hand, is a very early '05 (June '04 build date), so I had the oldest version of the ECU software prior to doing a stage 1 reflash. Yet, I had, and continue to have no stutter. Hmmm.....

Well something new has started. After idling in traffic for 2 or 3 minutes the cars rpms die down between 0 and 1 rpm. (more towards the 0 then the 1k rpm). WHen slowly accelerating there is a stutter and it feels like the engine is going to turn off. Could this be a bad injector? I'm running the tdc stage one tune im thinking about reverting back to stock to see if the stutters still exist.

Archived