LegacyGT.com

Brake Pads for track day / daily use

quest

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Opinions for a good set of daily driving pads? I am leaning towards the vita nuova by endless. Also, how many miles should my oem pads last?

Rocket

You can do with either Endless Vita nuovas, but they are dusty, and they are just a little better than stock when it comes to the bite.. it's a good replacement, but it's not OUTSTANDING.

Carbotech Bobcats are similar to the Endless SS-S or so (which both have some really good bite). The SS-Y would be the least dusty out of the three: SS-S; SS-Y; Bobcats.. another option is the Hawk HPS which I think the Bobcats are better in performance but that's just up to the driver in initial bite preference.

If you want no dust, get the SS-M, it doesnt have the bite as the 3 mentioned above, but the SS-M is still way better than stock.

Keefe

You can do with either Endless Vita nuovas, but they are dusty, and they are just a little better than stock when it comes to the bite.. it's a good replacement, but it's not OUTSTANDING.

Carbotech Bobcats are similar to the Endless SS-S or so (which both have some really good bite). The SS-Y would be the least dusty out of the three: SS-S; SS-Y; Bobcats.. another option is the Hawk HPS which I think the Bobcats are better in performance but that's just up to the driver in initial bite preference.

If you want no dust, get the SS-M, it doesnt have the bite as the 3 mentioned above, but the SS-M is still way better than stock.

Rockets,

If you just want a pad for "daily" use.. not performance oriented, etc... a good replacement would be the Wagner Thermoquiet pads. They have a patented design which eliminates noise and a compound that is very low dust.

$50R / $40R free shipping in the US.

http://www.federal-mogul.com/aftermarket/us/wagnerB_pv_thermoquiet.htm?Country=USA&NumIm=1

If you want something with more performance and daily use... the Bobcat is a very good and cost effective solution.

I can get those to you for $200 shipped in the US. (out of stock at the moment, will have more next week).

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

For northern Minnesota-type weather (months of cold), are any of these pads not a good idea for real cold? I like the SS-M, but again, will be in the cold for many months out of the year.

SS-M can still work at 32F.. after the slow drag coming out of the driveway and putting a little bit of heat on them will be just fine.

Keefe

Looks like the endless pads are sold out all over, what about these.

Gruppe-s has Porterfield R4S availability. Anybody have experience with these?

Or something else. I need to get my braking solution set for my track day as I like to be prepared and its coming up soon.

I second Magnetic1's recommendation of Wagner ThermoQuiet pads for street use. A very nice quiet pad with reasonable bite. I just swapped a set on the Mazda6 and they are a world quieter and smoother feeling than the Porterfield R4-S I had on there. That brings me to the Porterfields. Very good street performance pad, but there is no free lunch here. Over time they got more and more noisy. More squeels and moans than my fiancee and I could tolerate in her daily driver. They also pretty much ate the front rotors over the course of 50K miles, although plenty of people on the Mazda6 forums have noted that the 6 kills it's front rotors anyways. The Porterfields have a ton of initial bite and were far more fade resistant than stock. There were also a bit less dusty than the stock pads, but that's not saying much as the stockers would make the wheels black in a couple days of driving. All in all, if the Mazda were my car I might have stuck with the Porterfields, but I think the soon to be wife is happier with the Wagners.

Rockets,

If you just want a pad for "daily" use.. not performance oriented, etc... a good replacement would be the Wagner Thermoquiet pads. They have a patented design which eliminates noise and a compound that is very low dust.

$50R / $40R free shipping in the US.

If you want something with more performance and daily use... the Bobcat is a very good and cost effective solution.

I can get those to you for $200 shipped in the US. (out of stock at the moment, will have more next week).

How much "performance" would I be giving up if I went with the Wagner pads? The car is a daily driver but loves to go fast!!

How much "performance" would I be giving up if I went with the Wagner pads? The car is a daily driver but loves to go fast!!

You wont be "giving" up performance.. but you probably wouldnt notice any real significant gains either.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

You wont be "giving" up performance.. but you probably wouldnt notice any real significant gains either.

I meant to say, how much performance would I be giving up if I went with the Wagners instead of the Bobcats. Sorry for the confusion.

I meant to say, how much performance would I be giving up if I went with the Wagners instead of the Bobcats. Sorry for the confusion.

whoop :) well, the Bobcats (HPS, POrterfield, etc) all operate in a different temperature range than stock (or Wagner, etc).

You'd definitely notice a difference between the Wagner and Bobcat (or any other high performance pad). The Bobcat (im just going to say Bobcat from now on; but this relates to any higher coefficient of friction pad) allows for better feel. The higher coeff. of friction translates to less pedal effort.

As far as temperatures go, I doubt you'd get your brakes to serious temperatures on the street. You wont be going to 60MPH, then stopping to 30MPH, then going back up to 60... those types of duty cycles are more present in something like autocross, etc. That is unless youre doing those famous "canyon runs" LOL

So from an honest point of view (and not that of someone trying to pawn Bobcats)... Id say your most noticeable "gain" from this would be better pedal feel. Remember, pads with higher coeff. of friction (or temp range) dont make you stop any shorter (much like how BBKs dont). They are designed so you will be in the optimal performance range for a given temperature. Track pads like the XP11 have super high coeff. of friction, but if you used them on the street, they would SUCK (for lack of a better term) because they arent anywhere near the optimal temperature.

Hope that helps. If I can help you with Bobcat, please let me know. We'll have them in stock next week according to Carbotech.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

Looks like the endless pads are sold out all over, what about these.

Gruppe-s has Porterfield R4S availability. Anybody have experience with these?

Or something else. I need to get my braking solution set for my track day as I like to be prepared and its coming up soon.

The R4S isnt meant for track... it's much like a Hawk HPS.

You need something like the Porterfield R4, Hawk HP+ or Carbotech Panther+. I still recommend changing your pads out solely for track use and getting something like the Carbotech XP10F/XP9rear....

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

Anybody know the coefficient of friction and temperature range of the stock pads for comparison purposes?

--Lee

Sandwood, Im not a big fan of the Hawk Blue... their dust DESTROYS wheel finishes. The Carbotech dust is relatively safe, even when wet. However, I do like the Hawk HT10 and HT14 compounds. They are close in price to the Carbotechs. In my opinion the HT10/14 are the pads to have if it's Hawk you want (and is what most BMW Club Racers use)... Ive tried both... the Hawk has slightly better feel and modulation characteristics... but I use the Carbotech for cost and corrosion factors.

Lee, I dont think those are published, but they tend to be under high performance pads. Dunno about the Endless (I saw #s in some images earlier), but Carbotech is as follows:

Bobcat is around 0.45 and has operating temp to 900 degrees.

Panther Plus is 0.54-.56 with temps to 1250

XP9 is 0.6+ with temps to 1400+

XP10 is 0.65-ish with temps to 1600

XP10 and XP11 were not tested for coeff. of friction because the last test broke the machine. LOL.

Hopefully more of you guys track your cars this year... I ordered a TON of track compound Carbotechs... this equates to lower cost passed onto you guys :) (ie. XP10 regular retail = $158; Our price = $145)

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

thanks eric. I have racing brake calipers and the only pad manufacturer they will give me specs on (for use with their kit) is hawk, so I might have to go that way. I want to get track pads in the spring. any thoughts on ht-14 front, ht-10 rear, vs. just ht-10 all around (I have stock rear calipers and rotors for now)?
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

thanks eric. I have racing brake calipers and the only pad manufacturer they will give me specs on (for use with their kit) is hawk, so I might have to go that way. I want to get track pads in the spring. any thoughts on ht-14 front, ht-10 rear, vs. just ht-10 all around (I have stock rear calipers and rotors for now)?

I'll already talked to Eric about that issue and he can supply you brake pads for your Racing Brake Calipers..

Keefe

my god there are a lot of options.

i'm leaning toward the SS-M because of the low dust, durability and pedal feel. but the cost....yikes...last quote i got was over $400 for front and rear and that's not even installed. but all i really want is better brake feel, low noise and shorter stopping distance...no dust is a plus. I'm not an autocrosser. i do a few high speed slowdowns on off ramps and drive in a lot of stop and go traffic. Are SS-M's the answer for me?

Someone said something about cold temps...these would work fine in the occasional MD cold spells....10-20 degrees?

^ it's up to you.. I have ran the SS-Ms for about 35,000 with some track days, about close to 2 years worth of autox and a lot of spirited driving.. if I didnt drive so hard on a daily basis and take the track days out of them, they could have lasted to 50,000 miles..

it's the cost ratio that you may want to look at if you are just doing the street driving.. I would definitely get a set of track pads if you plan on doing tracking events.

As for the cold, the SS-Ms have been fine for me this winter. They can lock up just like the stock brakes can, so I dont see a problem in that.

Keefe

^ it's up to you.. I have ran the SS-Ms for about 35,000 with some track days, about close to 2 years worth of autox and a lot of spirited driving.. if I didnt drive so hard on a daily basis and take the track days out of them, they could have lasted to 50,000 miles..

it's the cost ratio that you may want to look at if you are just doing the street driving.. I would definitely get a set of track pads if you plan on doing tracking events.

As for the cold, the SS-Ms have been fine for me this winter. They can lock up just like the stock brakes can, so I dont see a problem in that.

Thanks Keefe.:icon_bigg

my god there are a lot of options.

i'm leaning toward the SS-M because of the low dust, durability and pedal feel. but the cost....yikes...last quote i got was over $400 for front and rear and that's not even installed. but all i really want is better brake feel, low noise and shorter stopping distance...no dust is a plus. I'm not an autocrosser. i do a few high speed slowdowns on off ramps and drive in a lot of stop and go traffic. Are SS-M's the answer for me?

Someone said something about cold temps...these would work fine in the occasional MD cold spells....10-20 degrees?

If you just want feel... the Bobcat should be fine and is half the price. It doesnt dust THAT much more....

stopping distance depends.. but remember, higher coff. of friction != shorter stopping distances ;)

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

If you just want feel... the Bobcat should be fine and is half the price. It doesnt dust THAT much more....

stopping distance depends.. but remember, higher coff. of friction != shorter stopping distances ;)

hmmmmm then maybe SS-Y for stopping distance (oh, and new tires...RE92's errr). i guess i should also mention i don't want anymore dusting than stock...less would be a better.

Archived