LegacyGT.com

Brake Pads for track day / daily use

quest

hmmmmm then maybe SS-Y for stopping distance (oh' date=' and new tires...RE92's errr). i guess i should also mention i don't want anymore dusting than stock...less would be a better.[/quote']

whoop... I think I confused ya.. by "!=" I meant "not equal to"

I'll try to explain it in simple terms...

The caliper squeezes the pad against the rotor at a certain force. By raising the coefficient of friction, this force increases. So it's much like pressing the pedal less to get the same effect. BUT, this does not shorten stopping distances. This is assuming everything is constant.. but in a real world scenario, temperature plays a large part. With the rise in temperature, the coeff. of friction decreases... so now you need more pedal effort for the same amount of force. Eventually, it does nothing (fade).

By increasing the coeff. of friction, youre giving better pedal feel and consistent results for increased duty cycles. So if you have a lot of stop and go, etc... as the temperature rises, the optimal "grip" is maintained. This is why track pads have super high coeff of friction. It isnt to stop the car faster, but it is to ensure that turn after turn, the optimal force is maintained.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...the GT brakes are VERY biased to the front, more than usual for a car.

I've noticed this as well, and frankly, I don't like it. When performing sudden stops at high speed (ala New England Highway driving) it can be quit disconcerting.

Is it possible to address this by putting more aggressive pads on the rear?

Does anyone have any opinions regarding the new Buddy Club pads? The heat range is 0-600 celcius, which is broader than the SS-M's, but I don't know if that makes them any better.

Also, what about the Project Mu HC+ pads. They sound good, but expensive.

I've noticed this as well, and frankly, I don't like it. When performing sudden stops at high speed (ala New England Highway driving) it can be quit disconcerting.

Is it possible to address this by putting more aggressive pads on the rear?

From my standpoint and my knowledge, the front end's suspension is soft, so even if you do get more aggressive pads up in the front, your rear end is still going to get light and all the weight will transfer forward to the car, creating the typical nose-dive effect.. from what I know, last time I checked that no matter how good your brakes are, if your tires have little or no weight over them, it makes the brakes useless ;)

There isn't anything wrong with having over-biased brakes up front, it just makes the car more predictable for novice drivers (as the car will just want to lock up and slide straight vs what a rear biased system will do and spin the car out).

Keefe

, it makes the brakes useless ;)

There isn't anything wrong with having over-biased brakes up front, it just makes the car more predictable for novice drivers (as the car will just want to lock up and slide straight vs what a rear biased system will do and spin the car out).

Just dont SLAM on your brakes... make it a smooth and gradual process. You'll have much shorter stopping distances than just STABBING the brakes and hoping for the best ;)

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

If you just want feel... the Bobcat should be fine and is half the price. It doesnt dust THAT much more....

stopping distance depends.. but remember, higher coff. of friction != shorter stopping distances ;)

I recently bought Carbotech Bobcats for the front from brakeswap.com. Pedal feel is much improved. Have not noticed any difference in dust build-up. Btw, Eric at brakeswap was great to deal with. He knows his stuff.

-Lee

Just dont SLAM on your brakes... make it a smooth and gradual process. You'll have much shorter stopping distances than just STABBING the brakes and hoping for the best ;)

As we know some people's instincts on the road do just that: they slam on the brakes based on panic situations. :(

Keefe

Ordering my pads. I decided to go with XP9's up front and Bobcats in the rear and will swap out for some Bobcats in the front for daily use. I cant wait. Eric at brakeswap.com was great, highly recommended. I will post a writeup once I get these on and if I survive my track day coming up!

Sounds like a good plan.. you're warmer down in FL area, let us know if the extra weight puts a toll on your XP9s.. I ran XP10's front and XP8's and they were awesome through all of my sessions, but I was also running on a colder day.
Keefe

• 5 months later...

I just ran two days at Black Hawk Farms in South Beloit IL.

The stock pads held up well enough the first day, when there were shorter track sessions. The second day, I bailed after one afternoon session. The brakes were getting way too soft. What was that about 10/10ths?? I have one valve cap that partly melted, it was too close to the caliper when I stopped.!!

Time for some new fluid, stainless lines and pads.

Let me know if you want video, I have more than an hour of in car, in the pits, watching at a few corners. There is also a track tour (slow) in an STI.

I decided to go for the XP10 up front and XP8's at the rear, recommended by Eric, hopefully get on the track in a few weeks to see how they fare.

Lemme know how they go Phil...

especially with the summer heat, track dedicated pads are a must. Normally people go with less aggressive pads than the XP10s, but with the weight of the LGT and lack of ducting, the XP10s are well suited. (XP12s if youre running R-comps).

I should have more XP10s and XP12s here by Friday :icon_bigg Lemme know if I can be of help. :icon_cool

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

XP10's and XP12's should hold up for most people on the track, but they will not be able to withstand a hard 30 minute session without extra air. If you're driving less than the car's capabilities, then it should be ok.

Bobcats, HPS, stock, etc are not appropriate for track use.

Warren

XP10's and XP12's should hold up for most people on the track, but they will not be able to withstand a hard 30 minute session without extra air. If you're driving less than the car's capabilities, then it should be ok.

Bobcats, HPS, stock, etc are not appropriate for track use.

Warren

LOL. Dont listen to Warren.. he USED to drive a Honda :icon_wink

Im a firm believer in the XP12s... The Hawk DTC70s were supposed to be better, but Ive gone back to the XP12s.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

Eric, did you get a set of XP12s laying around for me for this weekend? I wouldnt mind beating the crap out of the rotors with those XP12s ;)

Keefe... I actually have 2 sets Im bringing with me. In case there is some random LGT owner out there who realizes his stock brakes just wont cut it :)

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

Archived