LegacyGT.com

WOW... another great BS story from "the floor guy"...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just hope that 2000 ranger can net you 9K. With new dealer incentives like family pricing the residual value of used ones is horribly low. Maybe you have really good miles on it.

[slight jaunt off topic, sorry...]

It has 96k miles on it right now. nearly fully optioned (no sliding back window, otherwise everything) with a big V6, 4x4, 5AT, Class III towing, stepside bed with liner, oversized (and quite good) A/T tires, and the 4-door cab with 20% tint on rear three windows, bucket seats and center console (like the explorer sport/sport trac).

It looks really great from about 6ft away. It has a couple of minute hail dents in the hood, a couple of paint scratches around the top of the bed rails, and a broken arm rest that I just completely removed. (looks normal, just no center arm rest at all) It will probably get a polish in the spring, and look a bit better.

I saw a 2001 with the same options asking over $14k at a dealer, a year newer and very slightly fewer miles. Rangers are a little odd. bare bones ones are REALLY cheap, but the fully loaded ones tend to maintain their value much better.

Since it hasn't had more than a cosmetic update since 1998, and is basically the same all the way back to 1993, the used ones seem to be in more demand than other smaller used trucks, since there isn't a new model to reach for, and a nice used Ranger does everything a new one will, without the initial depreciation hit.

Since my truck is a nice color blue (a shade slightly lighter than WR Blue) I have thought about putting the 01-03 headlights and grille (simple black plastic 'mesh' grille, newer clear headlights) and the new 05 tail lights (look like new F150 tail lights, fit same sheetmetal) as well as a safari bar, driving lights, and a roll-up bed cover on the truck, but I am not going to spend that kind of money on a truck I want to sell or trade soon.

Unless someone here wants that and to buy it from me in about 6-8 months... :D

[/off-topic jaunt]

hopefully the truck will at least help some in terms of affording the Legacy I want. If it isn't going to be worth anything as a trade, I will either sell it privately, or keep it, but I'd rather have the equity go toward a new Legacy, Spec B or otherwise...

It has 96k miles on it right now. nearly fully optioned (no sliding back window, otherwise everything) with a big V6, 4x4, 5AT, Class III towing, stepside bed with liner, oversized (and quite good) A/T tires, and the 4-door cab with 20% tint on rear three windows, bucket seats and center console (like the explorer sport/sport trac).

It looks really great from about 6ft away. It has a couple of minute hail dents in the hood, a couple of paint scratches around the top of the bed rails, and a broken arm rest that I just completely removed. (looks normal, just no center arm rest at all) It will probably get a polish in the spring, and look a bit better.

I saw a 2001 with the same options asking over $14k at a dealer, a year newer and very slightly fewer miles. Rangers are a little odd. bare bones ones are REALLY cheap, but the fully loaded ones tend to maintain their value much better.

Since it hasn't had more than a cosmetic update since 1998, and is basically the same all the way back to 1993, the used ones seem to be in more demand than other smaller used trucks, since there isn't a new model to reach for, and a nice used Ranger does everything a new one will, without the initial depreciation hit.

Since my truck is a nice color blue (a shade slightly lighter than WR Blue) I have thought about putting the 01-03 headlights and grille (simple black plastic 'mesh' grille, newer clear headlights) and the new 05 tail lights (look like new F150 tail lights, fit same sheetmetal) as well as a safari bar, driving lights, and a roll-up bed cover on the truck, but I am not going to spend that kind of money on a truck I want to sell or trade soon.

Unless someone here wants that and to buy it from me in about 6-8 months... :D

[/off-topic jaunt]

hopefully the truck will at least help some in terms of affording the Legacy I want. If it isn't going to be worth anything as a trade, I will either sell it privately, or keep it, but I'd rather have the equity go toward a new Legacy, Spec B or otherwise...

use www.kbb.com for trade in estimate. They are pretty close on trade-in values if you do the evaluation truthfully. If you have any type of body damage or high miles or the car will need new tires, look at good and fair condtion and assume your car is worth something between there...closer to good condition, but with any kind of damage or tires needing to be put on before the dealer can resell it, that will bring the value down.

Does not need tires for another ~20k miles, at least. They are one-size wider (but not taller) than stock, Bridgestone Dueler AT REVOs, with about 10-12k miles. Best thing I have done to that truck.

A good PDR guy could probably pop the dents out of the hood in about 10 minutes flat, and they are only noticeable in just the right light... May get that taken care of before trade-in... dunno.

ScratchX would probably take care of most of the hairline scratches around the bed rails. Plus it is a truck, and is used as one...

Arm rest costs $158 from ford to replace... dunno if I'll do that or not.

No other body damage, only visual mod is clear fluted (OEM-look, not altezza-clear-look) front turn signals, instead of amber. No amber lights on the truck, just clear or red tail lights. which looks much better with the chrome bumper and chrome grille. Very understated and unified. Amber always stuck out like a sore thumb on chrome and blue. Still have the Amber set, that are slightly scratched (stuff in the garage fell against the front drivers side corner, and scratched the side marker lens)

Plus it is Iowa, and I always see Rangers in Used dealers, and trucks tend not to sit as long as cars do... I paid 14k for it before trade 3 years ago, with ~70k miles, sans hail dents and with worse, worn tires, and the busted arm rest, and it was an ok deal then. (not smokin, but not highway robbery, either...)

I like the truck. I'd keep it and use it for truck duties until it dies (probably many many years), if it didn't matter. I could really use a few thousand dollars help paying for the Legacy I want.

The wife and I like her Miata more, and drive that any time we can. Plus most of the truck duties we currently do are hauling the occaisional piece of furniture, paintings, or garden supplies, which are ALL my wife's perview! I commute with it full time in the winter, but really don't need it from day to day other than just to have some wheels... Which a car does better. I was happy to have it when we moved into our new house two years ago, though.

Plus my wife has a fear that we'll appear "selfish" if we have three vehicles, and no children yet... So two cars it will likely be. And when we do have children, the Legacy will do much better than a Ranger or Miata for a child seat.

Maybe I'll buy a real beater rwd truck for a couple grand if I ever need one in the future... someting with just four wheels and a cargo bed...

You'll probably have much better luck selling your truck privately for the asking price. Check KBB value between good and fair trade in value and compare it to private sale value in your area. I'm sure the numbers are closer to 9K in private sale values. My dealership probably wouldn't sell your truck on our lot and would have to get the 9K back from auction. We tend not to sell any ford 4x4 products with over 90K miles on the odometer due to common transmission problems.

You can advertise for free in your area on http://www.craigslist.com

http://www.kbb.com/

$7,175 trade-in value in my area if in "good" condition

I may well do that, but I'll have to run numbers, and find out what the difference will be between trade and private sale, and if that is greater than the sales tax I would save on trade in.

That is the thing about trading in, paying less sales tax on the newer car...

Thanks for the advice and input. Keep putting peices in place for an ultimate move for a really good LGT. Not to the endgame just yet...

It just occurred to me as I was driving into work today that the Spec B would have been much more interesting if it had the performance gauge cluster instead of navi, and the price were reduced accordingly (~$1,300).

Grayson Subaru, good luck with selling the Spec B. I hope someone on here buys it. You are a very helpful member/vendor, and I hope you get some sales as a direct result of that.

I am still at a loss for words why I can't sell the Spec B below invoice. $32,500....Bueler, bueler, bueler......

no incentives

no special leasing

no special financing

normal doesn't know what a spec b is.

you can get a gt for thousands less.

thats why my dealer can't sell theirs

It just occurred to me as I was driving into work today that the Spec B would have been much more interesting if it had the performance gauge cluster instead of navi, and the price were reduced accordingly (~$1,300).

Grayson Subaru, good luck with selling the Spec B. I hope someone on here buys it. You are a very helpful member/vendor, and I hope you get some sales as a direct result of that.

+ONE on the gauges idea! Also, even though I haven't bought anything from them, Grayson seems as straight shooting as any of 'em. Good deals right up front!:icon_bigg

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

with 96k on the clock the dealership is most likely going to wholesale it. at my dealership we dont put anything on the lot with over 50k miles on it. 2000 is probably the oldest we have on the lot too. most banks wont finance a 6 year old car for another 5 years especially if it has 96k miles on it.

Look, guys, all of this SpecB bashing and praising notwithstanding, I have to tell you:

I wanted a car with fast acceleration, manual transmission, all-wheel drive, a navigation system, top crash safety scores, and at a reasonable price. Only ONE car fits all criteria: the SpecB. I compared the Mazdaspeed 6 (new engine, first attempt, poor side impact scores last year, delayed launch, etc. etc.), the Audi A4 (difficult to find with Nav system, much more expensive), and that was about it. Nothing else fit my requirements.

A week after I bought my SpecB, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety gave the 06 Legacy a Gold Medal top safety pick. Only the Saab 9-2 and the Legacy got those ratings in this segment.

Obviously the SpecB isn't perfect: It could use a better radio, steering-wheel controls that flip through preset stations, a more user-friendly Nav system, but overall, it's exceptional.

In the last MotorTrend, the specB beat the MZ6 with a "searing" 5.4 sec 0-60 time. Sweet.

It's really not so much a "bashing" as much as it is critical praise/constructive critisism:icon_bigg . We all LOVE Subarus, especially the GT. That's why we ALL bought one! We, and I am speaking generally, all felt that the spec.B was a GREAT idea... just not exactly how they did it. We love the acceleration the 2.5 puts out, we love the styling, the car is just a great, fun beast overall and I'm not the first to yell that out!!!:lol: Some of us felt (heck, maybe even a majority?) they could have done it better/different if they were going to make such a big deal about this limited run. The spec.B is a GREAT car overall, no question there and I'm glad it fits your needs, but in the end this thread was more about moron salesmen not getting the point about the price and features, not really bashing the spec.B as a whole. Oh... and of course making shit up also doesn't help our faith in the floor salesmen:( ...
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

with 96k on the clock the dealership is most likely going to wholesale it. at my dealership we dont put anything on the lot with over 50k miles on it. 2000 is probably the oldest we have on the lot too. most banks wont finance a 6 year old car for another 5 years especially if it has 96k miles on it.

agreed for the most part. most banks stop at 80,000 miles. we would sent that to auction unless it was an outback or something. You can sell a used Subaru with 180k on it if it still runs ok and looks decent. that is about the only thing we would keep with a bunch of miles.

Who finances less than 10k for 5 years? You end up paying way too much interest.

The whole point of used cars is getting a price that allows decent to low payments for a shorter amount of time.

If I had bought my truck as it is now, I would have only financed it for three years or less, rather than 4 years for 11.5k principal.

Like I said, trucks tend to sell better than cars around here (wintery midwest), and last much longer. 100k miles is HALF of the trucks life (or a subaru...), where it is probably 8 or 9 tenths of a normal car's functional life, if they have gotten that far in a saleable condition.

I am certainly not opposed to private sale on my truck, if that is what needs to happen.

On topic, though...

+10 for LegGTLT... Couldn't have said it better.

slightly used with a couple years of depreciation knocked down is much different than almost 7 model years old, more than 90k miles.

I guess I'd not try to finance a truck like mine for more than 3 years at the most... it is getting toward the older side. I financed it for 4 years at 275/mo and have put almost 37k miles on it in three years, one year remaining, and scheduled to be paid down and traded early. I've paid all three of my car loans off early... (not a full year early to justify a shorter loan, but earlier than the schedule.)

A 2005 car in 2007 model year is a different situation than my truck, that is for sure...

I had no idea that this was going to be such a hijack. I just figured we were talking about car dealers and car buying pertaining to procuring new Legacies from dealers... Sorry if I have prolonged this off topic jaunt too long...

I go to Motor City for entertainment!

If I'm REALLY in the mood for humor..... I hit up Academy Nissan... where those guys will literally knuckle up BEFORE getting to a client!

Check this out:

My mother & father asked me to accompany them to Academy Nissan because they wanted a newer truck.

So... we get there and I kid you not, 4 salesmen made a break for it like it was the last 10 seconds of the NBA championships!

The guy who got there kept trying to sell them a RAV-4! :wtf:

When he finally got the idea, he said there was another salesman who was selling his personal truck (Tundra) on his own <~~*Mark that, and he'd be MORE than willing to sell that to us! ??~??

Talk about a conflict! The whole process had me in tears!

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

I totally agree... They have a sB at the dealership here in SLC, big big markup on it (something like $37k). I picked my LGT up for 26.5k, which is the same price I originally paid for my 2002 WRX Wagon!

I always thought that if I were a Suby salesperson, I'd rock because just how much I know about them (parts & all), and then I thought, maybe that's why I'm not a salesperson...

Feh!

Archived