LegacyGT.com

WOW... another great BS story from "the floor guy"...

So, I just had to share. I'll be kind and only say that the dealer is located in Seattle, WA and leave it at that. I love the internet guy :icon_bigg there but as always the floor guys never surprise me.

So I went in for my regular oil change and was purusing their site online and I see that there's a spec.B in stock:icon_eek: . Wow, didn't know they had one so I walked over to the showroom and there she is, #151/500. The guy on the floor immediately sees me and his eyes light up as he comes over and blah blah blah's me to death. I try to cut in and inform him I have an '05 GT so no use pitching the whole thing. He states how great it is, I comment on the $5k markup, he says worth every penny. I say well, I guess it is, but you know these things are going for invoice now so, yeah, I guess it is a good deal. Here it is: Nope, you must have heard wrong, these don't sell for invoice. I kinda looked stunned, then state: Yes they are, I'm online all the time and I've seen several go for invoice, even $100 under in one case. Well, those GUYS (drawn out, slightly sarcastic) must be pulling your leg, cause NO ONE gets one of these for under MSRP:confused: . Just flabbergasted by these dudes sometimes.

OHHHHH! And the biggie? Drum roll............... the Legacy STI IS coming next year. His sources "confirm" it, much more so then anything I could EVER find out. Input on this folks? Why do these guys piss me off so much? I know it's how most (not ALL, alot of great sales guys out there, I know several) of them operate, I know ahead of time, but still they manage to irriate me and say the dumbest stuff sometimes........

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest *Jedimaster*

I love talking to those guys :lol:

I went into my local dealer to look at their Spec B (marked up to like 40 grand :lol: ) and the salesman had no idea the 06 lgt wagon didn't get a manual. He also told me how no Spec B's are going for less than a dealer markup of like 6 grand :lol:

I seriously don't know how these guys make a living when so many of them are ignorant about the product they sell.

Floor guys and slow days lol,,I sent a friend in to my dealer(Nissan/Subaru) and told him to ask fr my friend the sales mngr.My friend was looking fr a Nissan Frontier pickup truck.

He told me he wasnt 4 steps in from the door when some kid(salesman) tryed to sell him the spec B on display.He told the kid he wanted to; A. buy a pickup and B.go away:icon_eek: ..He then went to the office looking fr my friend.He told me the kid looked like he was going to cry:( :lol: .

Rudy

I would love to think that the moron is right about the STI, and I would love it if it materializes, but at this point, I have to go find my lifeboat's anchor, and get aboard... (nice graphic, BTW. :lol: )

I am estimating half of the spec Bs still sitting on dealer lots... as a rough estimate from the looks of the registry page, accounting for the spec Bs that are not accounted for, and the percentage of those reported on showroom floors, and those that have been purchased...

That is not a convincing argument for Subaru... Although with 500 units, that should estimate to about 25-30% (a good sized fraction) of last years sales of some 1800 legacy units. So i was not expecting the Spec B to sell out within weeks or a few months. (Heck, there are still 05's in stock at some dealers...)

I honestly do think that SOA shot themselves in the foot a bit. Nav should be optional. That all by itself is a 2000$ chunk off of the markup, which is not inconsequential. Second, although I like the look of the titanium paint, it isn't exactly a "HEY, COME LOOK AT ME! BUY ME! I'm SPECIAL!" paint color. I think either San Remo Red or World Rally Blue would have been MUCH better choices, but I am a broken record on that point.

As for MSRP... I hope the guy enjoys his schpeel, because he'll be blue in the face from telling everybody and their duck, before that car sells at MSRP.

The Subaru salesman also told me that at Ramsey in Des Moines, Iowa last week, too. "It is still too new to be discounted... and limited production..." Yeah, and the regular GT is just so damned common... right. But the regular GTs they had on the lot were marked down to about $25.9k from $30.2k... Their spec B stickers at 35.2k with spoiler and All-weather mats.

Yup, I am just chomping at the bit to finance and spend $10k for the priviledge of owning a grey car. I'd buy it for 29.9k or less, though... I am not saying the car is bad... Just doesn't justify $10k. I could buy a new motorcycle, instead, thankya. New car and bike > new car only, money being equal. Although I am sure my wife could spend that 10k before I could drive the new car from the subie dealer to the motorcycle dealer... :D

You don't have to know each product 100% in order to sell it. I'm sure some of these sales people could care less about how much power, etc something has and how all the features work. Some do and it might help them or destroy them in sales. I've found out that when I talk to a customer most do not want to hear me spill BS about power, etc. What they want to know is the simple stuff like gas mileage, "what does this button do?", and/or other features that might be on the car.

I doubt many of you guys expect your real estate agent to know anything and everything that comes with a house. Yes they might know features, documents at signing, etc. but as far as what kind of pipe runs in the house, etc. that a builder would know is absurd. I expect many people here sell IT solutions to the government as contracts and only know the basics and do not know the main infastructure of the systems and how it is all programed.

Give the guys a break, some try really hard and maybe a bit too hard. If you catch one of them at a lie just laugh it off and tell them who you are so to shut them up. They are used to dealing with customers that have absolutely no clue. They are also trained by even stupider sales managers, etc. that have no idea about mechanics, etc. but are real good when it comes to closing the deal.

I sell used cars from a lot that has about 600-800 of them. There is absolutely no way I can ever learn every single detail about every make and model of the cars I sell. I do however learn and as I've been there for almost 2 years I've become more aware with SUVS, minivans and cars I otherwise would've never touched. I explain to my customers that sometimes I learn with them. I open up the owner's manual to figure out where the bonnet release is on a mini cooper or how to fold rear seats in a van/suv or how to take off the top on a jeep wrangler. I somewhat agree that new car dealers should know alot more from what they are selling as they only have 6 models to learn however they may learn the basics and not go into full detail to figure out how a turbo works and anything else mechanical/electrical. Then they can just become certified technicians.

It's probably just as miserable to be a knowledgable salesperson and have to listen to customers talk out of their asses. You can't even tell them they are full of shit because you will lose a sale and/or end up getting in trouble with management.

It's probably just as miserable to be a knowledgable salesperson and have to listen to customers talk out of their asses. You can't even tell them they are full of shit because you will lose a sale and/or end up getting in trouble with management.

This is very true. There are many times I try to explain to customers one thing over another that consumer reports beat into their heads. Or I try to help customers purchase cars that are optimal choices, etc. But if someone wants to purchase a vw jetta because it looks cute, well I'm not going to be one to not sell it to them. I tell them to be prepared for the horrible residual value for when they sell it later on and I never let them leave without a warranty. They will most likely need it.

I once test drove a supercharged Saleen S281 (not the S281 "E"). It's also a "limited production" car and carries an insanely high pricetag. At this time, I was driving a Trans Am WS6 and wanted to see how the cars compared. So I take it out, the salesman tells me, "man, it's stupid fast" so I was kind of excited. I slam on the throttle and the car seems to lolly-gag up to speed. Lolly-gag is a relative term, as I was expecting something much faster than my T/A (which ran low 13s around 108)... it was definitely not faster than my T/A. So I start chatting with the salesman about 0-60 times, quarter mile times, etc. He tells me, "0-60 in about 4 second, and it will run a quarter mile in the 10s". My jaw hit the floor. Not because of how awesome those numbers were, but because of how unbelievable (in the literal sense) they were. I said, "no, no it doesn't." He said, "yeah dude, it does, we've got official documentation on it." I was a little younger and a little more timid in those days, so I just shrugged it off and walked out. Today I would have torn him a new a-hole. Such complete ignorance and arrogance and outright lies... just amazing.

The next summer, I actually lined up next to one of those cars at a drag strip. My most gratifying race ever... ran a 13.2 to his 13.9 :D

Guest *Jedimaster*
Not knowing something is one thing; being clueless, making stuff up or lying is another

Ture, but pure ignorance stems from laziness. When it's your job to know and you don't, you may as well go home. Suppose I didn't know how to write HTML-how good of a computer teacher would I be then? :lol:

Not knowing something is one thing; being clueless, making stuff up or lying is another

Ture, but pure ignorance stems from laziness. When it's your job to know and you don't, you may as well go home. Suppose I didn't know how to write HTML-how good of a computer teacher would I be then? :lol:

+1 billion, as usual... RuskiBear I understand what you're saying about the house example, but would you want your real estate agent to lie to you and say that ALL the houses in that area are selling for their asking price (that IS their job to know at LEAST what the houses are selling for you agree?) when you know that they aren't? That's all. I didn't want him to know everything about the spec.B but rather not to make SHIT up. It sounds from your experience/knowledge that you would probably say what a good salesperson should, "I'm sorry sir/miss, I'm not really sure about that aspect of the vehicle. Let's find out together and then I can help you better." I'm in sales of a different sort and when I don't know something, I tell the buyer the same thing, I don't know for sure but I'm gonna get you an answer ASAP on that. That's good sales, and that's what you and I, I assume:) , agree on. Not his fault: Not knowing the spring rate on the GT vs. spec.B // His fault: making shit up left and right and telling the customer that they really must be wrong in their beliefs:( . That's all, I just don't get it sometimes!:confused:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Goes to show you:

"Ohhhhhhhhhh I see..... Don't want the Spec B huh bitch? WELL HOW BOUT A PRECIOUS Legacy STI huh!??!?! WILL YOU SELL YOUR SOUL FOR THAT? Sources confirmed it........"

:lol: Salesmen suck.

This reminds me of a thread I started a while back speculating that some dealers would be willing accept deposits on '08 Legacy STi's. You can skip over the posts of a certain member from Australia, who seemed to totally miss the point of the thread (although in his defense, maybe Australian dealers are more ethical than USA dealers).

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18059

Archived