LegacyGT.com

Legacy to be discontinued after 2025 model year

How do you all feel about the news that Subaru is discontinuing the Legacy after the 2025 model year? I loved my 2009 and 2015 Legacys, the first with 250,000 miles and the second with over 300,000 miles. I have a 2024 Outback Onyx Edition now, but was probably going to go back to Legacy after my lease ends.

https://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/2165/1/subaru-announces-legacy-production-end-2025

Sad. Our 23 Legacy (2nd legacy) is a great experience (except to SLOW head unit) but not a surprise really. Legacy sells have been declining for years. With the cost of either a dedicated line or retooling one to run it likely wasn't a big money maker.   

Edited by pduncan1963

Once the Camry got AWD, I think the Legacy had served its purpose. The new one is a perfectly fine car, but that infotainment system is awful, and buyers are gonna prefer the more popular Accord and Camry, regardless. That head unit isn't helping it, though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2024 at 11:35 AM, silverton said:

The new camry is a better looking car too.  That TRD trim they have, woof!

To bad after the 2024 model year Toyota will no longer offer a V6 in any car they sell for that brand.  You would need to go to Lexus to get the 3.5.  Toyota will still continue to put the 4.0 in the Tacoma.

Seems like for the 2025 model year the Camry is only going to have the 2.5 four banger or the hybrid.  But the 25 Camry looks really nice.

As far as the TRD Camry. It's sorta a joke.  It looks nice.  But the FWD just does not do it. It drives nice as well.  But that's about where it ends.  Just a body kit.

17 minutes ago, MoleMan said:

To bad after the 2024 model year Toyota will no longer offer a V6 in any car they sell for that brand.  You would need to go to Lexus to get the 3.5.  Toyota will still continue to put the 4.0 in the Tacoma.

Seems like for the 2025 model year the Camry is only going to have the 2.5 four banger or the hybrid.  But the 25 Camry looks really nice.

As far as the TRD Camry. It's sorta a joke.  It looks nice.  But the FWD just does not do it. It drives nice as well.  But that's about where it ends.  Just a body kit.

When Subaru got rid of their 3.6L, they replaced it with a 2.4L Turbo and about the same horsepower. Will Toyota also be replacing their 6cyl with a 4cyl turbo?

2 minutes ago, longmuirj said:

When Subaru got rid of their 3.6L, they replaced it with a 2.4L Turbo and about the same horsepower. Will Toyota also be replacing their 6cyl with a 4cyl turbo?

Nope.

Just the 2.5 and Hybrid from what I see when I go and build a new Camry on Toyota.com. the Corolla GR still retains the three cylinder turbo(300 hp out of a three cylinder and AWD OMG!)

Yeah the 2.4 to me is more to torqy but the 3.6 is just so buttery smooth. If I wanted a turbo I would just go and get another WRX and end it lol.

The Tundras have gone to six cylinder Turbos with an option for the V8 on the top trim only.

The Avalon is gone off the lineup as well.  Honda also removed the six cylinders from the Accord a few years back only offering the 1.5t and 2.0t.

I think we will start to see larger displacement engines start going away to make room for electric and four cylinders.

13 minutes ago, MoleMan said:

Nope.

Just the 2.5 and Hybrid from what I see when I go and build a new Camry on Toyota.com. the Corolla GR still retains the three cylinder turbo(300 hp out of a three cylinder and AWD OMG!)

Yeah the 2.4 to me is more to torqy but the 3.6 is just so buttery smooth. If I wanted a turbo I would just go and get another WRX and end it lol.

The Tundras have gone to six cylinder Turbos with an option for the V8 on the top trim only.

The Avalon is gone off the lineup as well.  Honda also removed the six cylinders from the Accord a few years back only offering the 1.5t and 2.0t.

I think we will start to see larger displacement engines start going away to make room for electric and four cylinders.

I prefer a 6cyl than a 4cyl. Like you said, much smoother when accelerating without pushing the tachometer and feeling like the engine is going to explode. I had 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with 200hp and a 6cyl and it ran so smooth. I might do a hybrid, but I am not ready for a full electric car yet. I like being able to "gas up" in five minutes and go, rather than wait more than a hour for it to charge on long trips.

On 5/15/2024 at 5:50 PM, longmuirj said:

I prefer a 6cyl than a 4cyl. Like you said, much smoother when accelerating without pushing the tachometer and feeling like the engine is going to explode. I had 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with 200hp and a 6cyl and it ran so smooth. I might do a hybrid, but I am not ready for a full electric car yet. I like being able to "gas up" in five minutes and go, rather than wait more than a hour for it to charge on long trips.

Speaking of Grand Prize.

I had a GTP version of that car. And I also had a Bonneville SSEI.  Tons of get up and go from The Superchargers.

As far as the Turbos. If they are just cruising I really don't see any power and loss compared to the 3.6. but I do see a difference getting into the highway where the turbo will scoot you but as you said it's getting pushed and that's what I hate about my commuter special 4 cylinder Honda. Just feels like it's gonna fall out of the car when getting into a highway.

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota is slowly killing Subaru....
Bought more and more stake as Subaru quality and volume improved...
Used them to help produce a 2-door sports car, then had them build it in a Subaru factory to use up valuable production space, then took 83% of the cars produced to help their own numbers.
Convinced them to go full EV by 2030, knowing if it fails, Subaru doesn't have the $$$ to survive...
Had them ax the new STI because the GR Corolla was coming and they didn't want the competition...
Had them ax the Legacy because it was affecting Camry sales...

6 hours ago, Opie said:

Toyota is slowly killing Subaru....
Bought more and more stake as Subaru quality and volume improved...
Used them to help produce a 2-door sports car, then had them build it in a Subaru factory to use up valuable production space, then took 83% of the cars produced to help their own numbers.
Convinced them to go full EV by 2030, knowing if it fails, Subaru doesn't have the $$$ to survive...
Had them ax the new STI because the GR Corolla was coming and they didn't want the competition...
Had them ax the Legacy because it was affecting Camry sales...

The big thing about the GR Corolla.  It's a three cylinder putting out 300 HP and has AWD.  Pretty badass as far as power for such a small engine.  The 7th gen WRX sucks.  All the die hard fans stay far away.

In my area even the 18 year olds don't want them anymore.  

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Sat in a 2025 Legacy recently. It was, well, a Legacy. Nothing of real note. Not surprised it is going away.

Test drove an AWD 2025 Camry, and it is decently peppy, particularly up until 50 or so. The instant torque is great off-the-line, far better than the current crop of all Subaru automatics.

Would be fairly easy for Toyota to give the Camry 300hp+ with AWD in prime form if they want to.

Edited by Beanboy

On 7/2/2024 at 3:31 PM, Beanboy said:

Sat in a 2025 Legacy recently. It was, well, a Legacy. Nothing of real note. Not surprised it is going away.

Test drove an AWD 2025 Camry, and it is decently peppy, particularly up until 50 or so. The instant torque is great off-the-line, far better than the current crop of all Subaru automatics.

Would be fairly easy for Toyota to give the Camry 300hp+ with AWD in prime form if they want to.

Yeah.  No thanks on the four cylinder Camry.  Could never go back to a four pot Camry after owning a six cylinder.  I have a Scion TC our 18 year old has.  I drive it for years. The 2.5 is not bad in that car.  

Issue is Toyota will stop putting six cylinders in the Camry after the 24 model year.  They never put one in an AWD version for a reason.

The reason is because the Lexus line is the only way to gonif you want six cylinders and AWD. And even that with the GS being discontinued is getting hard.  

Toyota you your point has given the Camry in 300 HP but not the AWD factor.

Subaru is honestly let's face it mostly boring cars that have utility. That is why people buy the Outback and the Ascent's.  The Legacy was dying ten years ago as the vehicle basically stayed the same which is a four door family sedan with various levels of upgrade options.  The Leggy started in a decline really the moment the Turbo model went away.   The WRX is Subarus Fun car.

I have my fun cars and my just get in every morning reliable but boring cars.  And honestly I am in a rental weekly for work to the point I really don't even care at this point. All the new cars just blend for me at this point.  They all seem to be the same.  Everything has a big screen and has a turbo four or a normal for cylinder.  Just basic transportation with nice upgrades...

I just do not like the 4-cyl turbos, I prefer the 6-cyl version. It can have the same power and does not sound like it is going to blow up or you do not have to turn the radio up because the engine runs too loud on the highway when you try to pass and the fuel economy is not that much better on a 4-cyl turbo than a 6-cyl (for most cars.) I still miss the Subaru Legacy SUS. 🙂

I just got a 2024 model and now it'll be the 6Th car I've owned that's been discontinued. Dodge Neon, Dodge Avenger, Dodge Nitro, Ford Fusion, Cadillac ATS. But I hopefully will be glad that I owned one.  

I am just happy I have my 06 LGT, these are the cars we need to save and keep driving. When people think about about subaru and they see and nice tuned Legacy 4th gen, they will ask what that is and want one. The amount of people that see my car and ask so many question is so cool to me. I never see any 4th or 5th gen Leggys (well my own 5th gen) ever. I love the car for that reason.

• Like 1

I was one of the first people back in 2005 with the new Legacy GT.  The old GT in 2005 was cutting edge with a killer engine and great looks.  I loved the interior too. People would ask me what car I drove.

I had a newer 3.6 Legacy and I had it badly hit which required the car to be in the shop for weeks.

Enterprise gave me an Infiniti Q50.  The twin turbo 300hp, size, and attitude reminded me of my old Legacy GT. So when I got back my repaired Legacy, I paid it off and traded it in for a new Q50. Just had my car tuned and modded by Racebox and pulling over 500HP.  It's a beast.

Subaru took chances and innovated back in 05. The newer Legacy look so plain...nothing out of the ordinary. There isn't much competition for the outback and crosstrek.  Die WRX fans are always going to buy a WRX.  But the sedan market in Legacy price range is tough. I like how subaru brought the XT models in the Legacy but there's nothing to me that stands out so it really doesn't surprise me. It's a shame subaru couldn't make the Legacy exiting anymore like its roots. I say these things with all do respect for the new Legacy owners. 

Edited by phuzaxeman
  • Like 1

Legacy was top of the line in Japan 20 years ago. Too bad those versions were not sold in America. The 05 turbo wagon with an Sti upgrade would have been amazing but Sti wrx was the top tier.

An sti lgt wagon with better radio and leather package would have sold well. Ppl who could afford the lgt had money to afford more. A 300hp 6mt wagon? 20 years later, that's still a hot car.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2024 at 9:38 PM, phuzaxeman said:

I was one of the first people back in 2005 with the new Legacy GT.  The old GT in 2005 was cutting edge with a killer engine and great looks.  I loved the interior too. People would ask me what car I drove.

I had a newer 3.6 Legacy and I had it badly hit which required the car to be in the shop for weeks.

Enterprise gave me an Infiniti Q50.  The twin turbo 300hp, size, and attitude reminded me of my old Legacy GT. So when I got back my repaired Legacy, I paid it off and traded it in for a new Q50. Just had my car tuned and modded by Racebox and pulling over 500HP.  It's a beast.

Subaru took chances and innovated back in 05. The newer Legacy look so plain...nothing out of the ordinary. There isn't much competition for the outback and crosstrek.  Die WRX fans are always going to buy a WRX.  But the sedan market in Legacy price range is tough. I like how subaru brought the XT models in the Legacy but there's nothing to me that stands out so it really doesn't surprise me. It's a shame subaru couldn't make the Legacy exiting anymore like its roots. I say these things with all do respect for the new Legacy owners. 

No offense.

But the Q50 and G37s are piles of shit.  How do I know I still have my G37 that Everytime it gets wet it goes haywire. And the Q50 is not any better. And no it's not the sunroof drains that are causing the issue.

The Q50 is slightly better but still lags tech compared to the competition.  I had the Redsport 400 model.  Had a JB4 on it and it was north of 450 HP. 

Nissans AWD drive system is a complete joke compared to Subaru or Audi or even Toyota.

As I said cars are cars just anything Nissan to me is a pile of shit and considering I own one still says something.  

Do yourself a favor and put the Q on ramps and look at how much rust is on the frame and the crossmembers.

However if I was forced to pick a model Nissan besides the GTR or Z.  It would be either a M56 With the 5.6 or the Q70 with the 5.6 V8.  As much as it pains me to say this I still look weekly for those cars.

And yeah my G is a G37 xS.  Just keep in mind the trans in the G and the trans in the Q50 are the same. That's why the stock power and won't do anything until the mid fours.  

To bad Nissan is killing off Infiniti slowly.

My huge decision was that I can take issues in any car.  But the service for Infiniti from the dealers is really bad.  They either don't care or will string you along until the warranty is up.  

But keep the Q. It's still fast.

Honestly if I had the choice to buy a 4th or 5th Gen GT or a Q50 with NO warranty I would choose the Subaru hands down just because of superior  AWD.

Edited by MoleMan
W

11 minutes ago, MoleMan said:

No offense.

But the Q50 and G37s are piles of shit.  How do I know I still have my G37 that Everytime it gets wet it goes haywire. And the Q50 is not any better. And no it's not the sunroof drains that are causing the issue.

The Q50 is slightly better but still lags tech compared to the competition.  I had the Redsport 400 model.  Had a JB4 on it and it was north of 450 HP. 

Nissans AWD drive system is a complete joke compared to Subaru or Audi or even Toyota.

As I said cars are cars just anything Nissan to me is a pile of shit and considering I own one still says something.  

Do yourself a favor and put the Q on ramps and look at how much rust is on the frame and the crossmembers.

However if I was forced to pick a model Nissan besides the GTR or Z.  It would be either a M56 With the 5.6 or the Q70 with the 5.6 V8.  As much as it pains me to say this I still look weekly for those cars.

And yeah my G is a G37 xS.  Just keep in mind the trans in the G and the trans in the Q50 are the same. That's why the stock power and won't do anything until the mid fours.  

To bad Nissan is killing off Infiniti slowly.

My huge decision was that I can take issues in any car.  But the service for Infiniti from the dealers is really bad.  They either don't care or will string you along until the warranty is up.  

But keep the Q. It's still fast.

Honestly if I had the choice to buy a 4th or 5th Gen GT or a Q50 with NO warranty I would choose the Subaru hands down just because of superior  AWD.

I had the Legacy 2018 3.6.  I liked the car as a daily driver.  It was boring. And went to the dealership for a whole month on and off trying to figure out suspension issues that never was resolved. The 3.6 can't even be compared because one was family boat (3.6) while the other one was cutting edge.

In terms of comparing my 3.6 ltd to my Q?  There isn't anyhing that legacy is better than.  Everything is better on the Q.  Transmission, exterior looks, fit and finish,  handling, 16 speaker bose, ride and comfort, leather, twin turbo, power tilt, heated steering wheel, etc. The rear seat and trunk is bigger in the Legacy.

My Q is going on 2.5 years with a pro tune from Racebox.  I'm keeping up with GT-R's and hitting high 10's. A Jb4 is not a real tune. I couldn't be happier with my Q.  Sorry you had no luck.  

2 hours ago, phuzaxeman said:

I had the Legacy 2018 3.6.  I liked the car as a daily driver.  It was boring. And went to the dealership for a whole month on and off trying to figure out suspension issues that never was resolved. The 3.6 can't even be compared because one was family boat (3.6) while the other one was cutting edge.

In terms of comparing my 3.6 ltd to my Q?  There isn't anyhing that legacy is better than.  Everything is better on the Q.  Transmission, exterior looks, fit and finish,  handling, 16 speaker bose, ride and comfort, leather, twin turbo, power tilt, heated steering wheel, etc. The rear seat and trunk is bigger in the Legacy.

My Q is going on 2.5 years with a pro tune from Racebox.  I'm keeping up with GT-R's and hitting high 10's. A Jb4 is not a real tune. I couldn't be happier with my Q.  Sorry you had no luck.  

A JB4 is not a tune at all as you stated.  But it's a easy way to get more boost.  As far as the G37 and the Q50 the Trans is a pile of shit but at least it's a 6 speed and not a CVT so I will give you that.  I don't take anything else I to factor. Honestly I don't care about that stuff. I have heated steering wheels in two of my cars and never turned them on once.  Nissans fit and finish is let's say on par with Subarus no better no worse.  Both my Lexus's have a lot better fit and finish then the Infiniti.  The Q50 cutting edge?  Absolutely not.  The 3.6R cutting edge? Nope.  Both are let's face it dated but that's ok. Even my Wife's GS350 is more cutting edge then either car and it's a 2014.

You can't compare the G37 or Q50 to the Legacy regardless of what it has under the hood.  As you said it's a good daily driver but it's a boat.   My Lexus is making close to 500 HP stock(5.0 V8) and it's butter smooth.  It's heavy so I dont bother to try to race anyone.  Frankly I don't even get Involved in that anymore.  Honestly I could have gotten a used GTR for the same price as my RCF but Nissan just left a bad taste.

I will admit I never disliked the VR30 in your car. Actually liked the way it was set up as far as boost and when it came on.  But once again maybe my experience was not as good as yours.

My 3.6 is just that. It's a highway cruiser.  It's not a power car or a daily for me.  Maybe a snow car but I have two fourth gens I prefer for that.  But getting older I tend to now gravitate towards huge boats with big engines that are butt couches with a steering wheel!

Just started another custom project with my wife.  Let's just say the 572 block has been ordered.  The supercharger is being decided  and once done that particular vehicle with have right under 900 HP.  Don't ask about that cost lol.

But once again dude you do you and have fun doing it!

22 minutes ago, MoleMan said:

A JB4 is not a tune at all as you stated.  But it's a easy way to get more boost.  As far as the G37 and the Q50 the Trans is a pile of shit but at least it's a 6 speed and not a CVT so I will give you that.  I don't take anything else I to factor. Honestly I don't care about that stuff. I have heated steering wheels in two of my cars and never turned them on once.  Nissans fit and finish is let's say on par with Subarus no better no worse.  Both my Lexus's have a lot better fit and finish then the Infiniti.  The Q50 cutting edge?  Absolutely not.  The 3.6R cutting edge? Nope.  Both are let's face it dated but that's ok. Even my Wife's GS350 is more cutting edge then either car and it's a 2014.

You can't compare the G37 or Q50 to the Legacy regardless of what it has under the hood.  As you said it's a good daily driver but it's a boat.   My Lexus is making close to 500 HP stock(5.0 V8) and it's butter smooth.  It's heavy so I dont bother to try to race anyone.  Frankly I don't even get Involved in that anymore.  Honestly I could have gotten a used GTR for the same price as my RCF but Nissan just left a bad taste.

I will admit I never disliked the VR30 in your car. Actually liked the way it was set up as far as boost and when it came on.  But once again maybe my experience was not as good as yours.

My 3.6 is just that. It's a highway cruiser.  It's not a power car or a daily for me.  Maybe a snow car but I have two fourth gens I prefer for that.  But getting older I tend to now gravitate towards huge boats with big engines that are butt couches with a steering wheel!

Just started another custom project with my wife.  Let's just say the 572 block has been ordered.  The supercharger is being decided  and once done that particular vehicle with have right under 900 HP.  Don't ask about that cost lol.

But once again dude you do you and have fun doing it!

I have 11 subarus under my belt with 3 in my driveway right now. The Q50 stock trans was already miles better than the CVT in my 22 Forester Sport and my Legacy 3.6R. I have no issues with the rubber band CVT feel as a daily work car but when you're looking for performance and speed, the CVT is not good.

Look up Racebox.  They are a nationally known tuner for VR30 and other cars. Infiniti is their specialty and their custom Q50 tunes make the transmission so smooth. I take my Q to Racebox for all my services.  I don't go to the dealership. A Racebox Q passing up M3's, Mustang GTs, SS's and keeping up with some pretty fast cars is pretty impressive especially spending under 5k. It was the best decision since I bought my Legacy 05 GT. 

12 hours ago, phuzaxeman said:

I have 11 subarus under my belt with 3 in my driveway right now. The Q50 stock trans was already miles better than the CVT in my 22 Forester Sport and my Legacy 3.6R. I have no issues with the rubber band CVT feel as a daily work car but when you're looking for performance and speed, the CVT is not good.

Look up Racebox.  They are a nationally known tuner for VR30 and other cars. Infiniti is their specialty and their custom Q50 tunes make the transmission so smooth. I take my Q to Racebox for all my services.  I don't go to the dealership. A Racebox Q passing up M3's, Mustang GTs, SS's and keeping up with some pretty fast cars is pretty impressive especially spending under 5k. It was the best decision since I bought my Legacy 05 GT. 

You made me take the G out this morning.

Keep in mind I have the Stillen Supercharger kit on this car with some various other mods.  That car was at Stillen in California for that for about a month.  But it was a 9k conversion when I did it.

I have to admit that car gets up and goes pretty well. Have really not driven it in a year besides a mile to the gas station.  

To me just something about Turbo cars and Supercharged cars that you want sometimes and so sometimes you want the NA Muscle. 

I have done the M3 thing and honestly the V8 one I had was the only one I liked. 

As far as the trans I never had an issue with it just stock it just needs to wake up and then the car would be provide a smoother delivery.

I despise CVTs honestly.  The Subaru and Nissan CVTs are better then most.  But I just don't like the slowness when I need to go from a stop.  On the highway no issues what soever.  

IDK I'm just getting old and want either large boat cars or huge engine power cars that are more showcase then anything else.

21 minutes ago, MoleMan said:

You made me take the G out this morning.

Keep in mind I have the Stillen Supercharger kit on this car with some various other mods.  That car was at Stillen in California for that for about a month.  But it was a 9k conversion when I did it.

I have to admit that car gets up and goes pretty well. Have really not driven it in a year besides a mile to the gas station.  

To me just something about Turbo cars and Supercharged cars that you want sometimes and so sometimes you want the NA Muscle. 

I have done the M3 thing and honestly the V8 one I had was the only one I liked. 

As far as the trans I never had an issue with it just stock it just needs to wake up and then the car would be provide a smoother delivery.

I despise CVTs honestly.  The Subaru and Nissan CVTs are better then most.  But I just don't like the slowness when I need to go from a stop.  On the highway no issues what soever.  

IDK I'm just getting old and want either large boat cars or huge engine power cars that are more showcase then anything else.

9k? That's a lot of money.  I'm sure it flies.

The G is a nice car. I have 2 friends that have them. It's been super reliable for them.  Both Ed and Ray have over 130k+ miles on them but they've kept them stock and bought brand new back then. They think my Q is amazing. 

I helped my parents buy a new 24 Outback XT. I'm a fan of it too.  But I wish Subaru took a chance on their design with the newest Legacy.  It's sad to see them axe a great car with a rich history.  People forget the original Legacy RS and its championship roots. When the legacy GT came out, it was competing against the BMW 325i and G35. It was Subaru's flagship. The image and styling  and performance was so cool 20 years ago and this forum on fire. How sad things have changed.