LegacyGT.com

Weird noise on cold start up

If the car isn't moving it's not the suspension. could be the secondary air pump if the noise only happens at start and goes away after 10'ish seconds.

Thanks. I'll have the mechanic have a look at the air pump. I let the engine run idle for sometime (5-10mins) and the noise fades away on its own. I'll take more videos, hopefully someone here will know exactly what the problem is.

8 minutes ago, Dwiny said:

Thanks. I'll have the mechanic have a look at the air pump. I let the engine run idle for sometime (5-10mins) and the noise fades away on its own. I'll take more videos, hopefully someone here will know exactly what the problem is.

That long idling is not good for the engine. Unless I was cleaning off snow, I "never" let my Subaru's idle more than a few seconds. Start it and drive it. Even on those morning way below 0F start it, drive it. 

You'll need to open the hood, start the engine and go look for where that noise is coming from.

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

2 hours ago, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

Not to threadjack but @Max Capacity could you elaborate for edification purposes? Just curious for the reasoning.

The owner's manual, recommends starting and driving, not idling to let it warm up. Just drive it easy until it warms up. Theory is, the weight of the pistons, moving cold at horizontal, is not good. 

Also, those of us that drive the car for long distances, letting the engine get fully warmed up have far fewer problems, than someone that drives for 2 miles and shuts it off. 

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I don't care if it's right or wrong but I always let my car warm up 3-5 minutes before starting off, at the very least i wait for the rpms to drop down to at least 1000. 

Might be easier to pinpoint even in a video with the hood open, as Max said.

And the the theory behind no-idle applies to all engine, not just horizontally opposed piston engines.

Engines generate far more heat under load than idling, so the fastest and best way to get to proper operating temp is putting load on the engine (ie:driving gently). This also warms the transmission/gear oil as well, instead of a long idle warming just the oil/coolant and the driver then thinking the vehicle is ‘properly warmed up’…

Nothing at all wrong with waiting for the idle to come down from cold high idle, but anything longer than that is a waste of fuel and almost certainly more wear on the engine than just driving immediately.

I used to live in some of the more Northern communities in a few places in Canada, and even there, warming up you car was more of a human comfort thing. Modern oils and block heaters are a much better solution than a remote starter + idling, etc…