LegacyGT.com

Legacy 2005 GT after new turbo

Hey y’all this is my first post. I just bought a 05 legacy gt for a thousand because the turbo ate a nut and sent metal into the engine. At first I was going to pull it apart and lick every spot clean, but it’s a 1000 dollar car so I said screw it and just dumped the oil out, put a new filter, a new vf40 turbo off Amazon for 250, cleaned the air to air cooler which was full of metal, and just ran it for a half hour, let the oil out hot, and cleaned the filter out, put new oil in and started it back up.

Now to my question.

it’s running fine but I read the number of people who succeeded doing this is single digits. I can’t see a problem, and it’s not throwing codes, and the metals almost completely out of the oil, and it’s just running fine. It does kick up the idle to 2000 rpm like a minute after it idles by itself, and then drops a little later. Am I good to go? I think I added a number to that single digit list of people who did it? The old owner didn’t drive it after it blew up he immediately stopped it so I think the wear did not get too bad

it's a grenade with the pin pulled and lost buddy. but good luck!  if there are no codes it'll be difficult to diagnose, clean or replace the MAF sensor and make sure there are no intake or exhaust leaks

16 minutes ago, silverton said:

it's a grenade with the pin pulled and lost buddy. but good luck!  if there are no codes it'll be difficult to diagnose, clean or replace the MAF sensor and make sure there are no intake or exhaust leaks

Why do you say that? I put a new Grenade in! Maybe the whole engine could grenade now though bc I’m not sure if there’s metal in the heads or anywhere else

Oh there’s metal in other places, do a UOA with blackstone to verify (https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/free-test-kits/). The cam gears and oil cooler are definitely not cleaned out, even the oil pan will hold metal after flushing. These will all be replaced with a new motor.

Wish you the best of luck, but you have a ticking time bomb on your hands is my bet too. And please don’t try to sell it to someone else as a running car. 

• Like 1

+1 to all of the above.

But on the other hand, if you can afford to take the $1250 hit, then roll the dice I suppose. Someone has to get lucky….

If you’re going to stay the course tho… I would at least consider doing another 1-2 oil flushes + new filters after taking the time to remove all the banjo bolt filters from the oil feed lines to the avcs and turbo. Dirty oil is better than no oil.

Might also be worth throwing in an oil pressure gauge so if/when the tolerances in the pump and your critical bearings begin to open up from wear, you might see pressure dropping before engine failure.

Or just sign up for AAA and hope for the best. 😂

I agree with all this ^ too. If you’re going to keep driving it, run another oil change or two, cheap oil and filters will be fine, but cycle it through a couple times. You’ll still be broken down in 3k miles I bet though 

• Haha 2

Are we placing bets on how many miles he gets out of this, I will say OP gets 4,999 before YNASB

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here