LegacyGT.com

Air 2 Air oil cooler

I am currently rebuilding my 05 OBXT engine and see that it is recommended to replace the oil warmer/ cooler. I am considering other options. I could put in an Air to Air oil cooler for about the same cost or just delete the stock part. I live in FL so don't think I need the warmer and I can't really see how I get any cooling benefits from the stock part. I already have a sandwich plate installed from the STI gauge pack if that makes any difference. Looking to hear some opinions and see what others have done besides R&R the stock warmer/cooler.

From your other post, it doesn't look like there was catastrophic damage that should have left metal fragments in the oil cooler? Or am I misreading that?

Replacing the cooler is usually a precaution because it's considered impossible to properly clean and satisfactorily remove any threat to a new block if the preceding failure caused metal to spread in the oil.

Trying to figure out based on the other thread, it looks like the turbo was replaced 70k ago, and now, at 207 you lost compression on cyl #4? I might be useful to confirm the cause of compression loss, one would assume blown ringland. If the damage isn't the sort that would have produced all sorts of metal fragments you might consider the oil to have remained 'clean' following the damage.

On the other hand, even an OEM oil cooler is pretty cheap on Ebay.... How cool does a Florida night get in the winter?

16 hours ago, rrobe99999 said:

I can't really see how I get any cooling benefits from the stock part

If your engine coolant isn't cooler than your oil, you've got problems.

It's been a while, there was a member back about 2007 that put a Amsoil remote oil filter on and increased his oil capacity to 7 qt's. Oh, he was HAMMERDOWN. That might be a better option. Or might give you more options.

I switched to Amsoil 5w-40 European Classic and after having Blackstone Labs run the sample, I went to 7-8000 mile oil changes. Using their EA15K13 filter. Per HAMMERDOWNS advice. Some 154,000 miles later, my engine had none of the normal Subaru internal engine noises. I retained the stock oil cooler. I highly recommend Amsoil.

I assume the remote cooler would require more volume of oil too. 

• Like 3

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Another question for the OP, how do you drive your car ? is it mainly short distance or longer drive's ? These cars seem not to do well if only driven for short distances. 

Back when I was working, it was 28 miles highway to go to work. 

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It seems that deletion is not a good option. I was thinking the air 2 air option would be a "free" upgrade since cost would be the same. Car is no longer my DD. I usually drive long distances except for occasional Autocross. I always let it warm up and cool down between runs.

The '08 WRX runs basically the same engine setup as us and didn't come with the oil cooler. I deleted it after spinning a rod bearing on my OBXT 30k miles ago and haven't had any issues. Figured I'd put a new one in at the first oil change if I saw something I didn't like but never did. Very different weather conditions from Florida though.