LegacyGT.com

Air oil separator?

Does anyone have any experience with a preferred model of an air oil separator?

The reason I ask is My car is stock with a Cobb stage 1 tune. When I have been on the throttle above 3000 RPM and then come to a stop you can smell oil burning while the car is still idling. There are no leaks. I assume this is oil getting into the intake system, intercooler and so on. I never notice any decreased oil on the dip stick so it is very small amounts of oil being burned but you can smell the burned oil inside and outside the car.

Is this common?

Will an air oil separator resolve this oil burning smell issue?

Or am I looking at some other issue?

12 hours ago, 310Z said:

Does anyone have any experience with a preferred model of an air oil separator?

The reason I ask is My car is stock with a Cobb stage 1 tune. When I have been on the throttle above 3000 RPM and then come to a stop you can smell oil burning while the car is still idling. There are no leaks. I assume this is oil getting into the intake system, intercooler and so on. I never notice any decreased oil on the dip stick so it is very small amounts of oil being burned but you can smell the burned oil inside and outside the car.

Is this common?

Will an air oil separator resolve this oil burning smell issue?

Or am I looking at some other issue?

stock with a stage 1 tune?  You're not even close to needing an air oil separator. 🤦‍♂️ Grab one of those when you start pushing 30+psi and making more than 500whp.

I'd imagine you have a leak, as the smell will rise from the engine and into the hvac intake, if you're smelling burning oil from the exhaust, that means exhaust is getting in the cabin and you're probably slowly killing yourself.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the information. I will cheek the PCV valve.

Would having too much oil in the pan cause this? This dip stick reads just like my Tundra. One side shows full and the other side shows in the middle of the high and low marks. So I had the side showing in the middle up to the top and the other side showing about 1/2 in above full. That is when I would get the smell.

I changed the oil last week and now I have the oil on the high side of the dip stick at the full mark. I put a few hundred miles on the car yesterday and did not notice the smell. I may have solved my own issue.

• Like 1

These things have always been a PITA to get a true oil level reading. I found the best way was to park on level ground, pull the dipstick, go into work for the day. Before starting the car, put the dipstick in, check oil level.  I always ran a little over full because these engine use oil.

I had an air/oil separator on my 05, I didn't have one on my 09. I would not do it again.

• Thanks 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 weeks later...

Take a look at the hard crossover line from the head to the PCV system. I've had that lined with schmoo from not driving long enough distances.

Remember oil accumulates moisture as it cools. Needs 20 or more min of run time to evaporate.

Just put a see through case cover on the ZRX and reminded about this every time I'm starting it up. Oil looks like a milkshake till it runs for a long time. 

• Like 1