LegacyGT.com

20 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

I thought you knew to follow my build. I think you know to see my "click here" link. I ran that ej257 on stock fueling tuned on ESP's dyno at 21psi with the vf52. The stock injectors had over 306,000 miles when I sold the wagon.

It really is that easy. The ej257 was still great some 150,000+ miles later.

Please go VF52 at the least. Over build the car and then tune it for 320 and you will be very happy. I followed Max Cap, and added in tons more performance stuff. I search and got deals. I could tune it for more boost and power but, the trans and block would like it. You would be surprised how many feeling you hurt with that power. Oh do not cut corners, and make sure you add some GSC goodies to your heads.

• Like 2

Great info already here, what can I possibly add? Some thoughts, in no particular order:

- go head bolts, not studs;

- JMP turbo is a great idea. I've been happy with BNR16G running Stage2 tune with catless uppipe and catted CNT downpipe;

- on gauges, unless it's a must for you then prioritize per budget;

- OEM head gaskets;

- OEM seals/gaskets everywhere;

- Fluiddampr is a great idea. I felt the difference on mine right away;

- I do  not know if car is modded? What about catless OEM up-pipe (05 STI on mine, $50 on nasioc), and downpipe? No point in having JMP turbo with stock downpipe imho;

- when shopping for head gaskets/injector seals etc, go OEM; also, do not buy a seal kit unseen - check the manufacturing date. It may be wiser to buy all those separately to make sure they are manufactured recently. Seal kit is convenient for sure, has many small seals that are hard to find separately.

- oil pump? Water pump? I understand these are getting replaced;

- new engine mounts;

- new grounding straps;

- new starter? Can be replaced later but give it a thought;

- aftermarket oil line for that sexy new turbo?

- solid silicone turbo inlet is fine,a bitch to install but fine after.

- I guess new clutch and flywheel once the engine is out? May be Exidy Stage 2. Think about new clutch fork and TSK3 TOB kit.

Now I am not sure about the new AVCS, your call. With the mileage I think either new SB or rebuilt SB is a must. Heads should get full workout - valve seats, seals, springs and valves inspected and replaced if needed. Heads resurfaced.

If heads will get valve seats done, ask the shop how they will set the clearances. The one I used grinds valve stems to match, and it's been good. I did not have to get new buckets.

The Subaru grey sealant is great, can be found on Amazon too. There is very similar Toyota sealant. Do not go gorilla on it during application - too much can be applied very easily, ask me how I know.

Be careful disconnecting connectors around the engine, at this age they are fragile. While on connectors, perhaps good idea to replace coil pack connectors - I expect most will break when you disconnect them.

If you need any tools to borrow, let me know, I should have some and I am close. Unfortunately sold my engine hoist and engine stand.

Edited by SubOperator
  • Like 4

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I got tagged so I feel like I must reply, even though I’m at 2 years post having an LGT and my old one was killed by a drunk driver.

Your plan looks fine, but please look at other options than the AVO intercooler. I had one for a while, and though it was great due to the marketing, but as soon as I instrumented it found that it truly performs horribly. As in somehow significantly worse than the stock intercooler horribly. I was seeing 200F+ temperatures after 2-3 back to back 2nd gear pulls.

It’s really worth the spend to go with the Grimmsped one (or its clones) or jump right into the Air-Water setup you mentioned considering. It’ll perform much better and you want be chasing crazy knock events after multiple pulls.

Actually come to think about it the AVO might have contributed to when I blew my first motor. It lifted a head after a high speed interstate mountain climb. If it was knocking due to heat saturation that would have done it.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, SubOperator said:

Unfortunately sold my engine hoist and engine stand.

You still own 2 x Subarus and you sold your hoist and stand? You sir, are a brave man. 😉

• Haha 5

I didn't see the bit about a new intercooler being on the list, but I will 100% say that the GS unit was an easy install and the end tanks will not separate from the heat exchanger portion. Dunno how soon @NORULZleggy wants to part with his, or how much the car is driven this time of year, but maybe a convenient time for everyone to play musical chairs with their IC's?

• Like 2

Up pipe can be solid.  Not a fan of flex section near turbo.  I meant the turbo inlet tube. Solid sucks. They always break from vibrationwhen running under the manifold. I preferred the AVO inlet tubes. But not sure you can get them anymore.

265k.  Stay stock, stay happy.  Freshen her up, don't blow her up.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, utc_pyro said:

I got tagged so I feel like I must reply, even though I’m at 2 years post having an LGT and my old one was killed by a drunk driver.

Your plan looks fine, but please look at other options than the AVO intercooler. I had one for a while, and though it was great due to the marketing, but as soon as I instrumented it found that it truly performs horribly. As in somehow significantly worse than the stock intercooler horribly. I was seeing 200F+ temperatures after 2-3 back to back 2nd gear pulls.

It’s really worth the spend to go with the Grimmsped one (or its clones) or jump right into the Air-Water setup you mentioned considering. It’ll perform much better and you want be chasing crazy knock events after multiple pulls.

Actually come to think about it the AVO might have contributed to when I blew my first motor. It lifted a head after a high speed interstate mountain climb. If it was knocking due to heat saturation that would have done it.

I am on stock TMIC albeit reinforced with BMB's endtank kit. Mine did separate before I had the BMB's kit installed, was fine even autox-ing since.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KZJonny said:

You still own 2 x Subarus and you sold your hoist and stand? You sir, are a brave man. 😉

Yup. To my defense, I never claimed to be smart!

Edit: In hindsight I think I was just sick of seeing them after 4 pulled engines within couple of years, and I did not have a good place to store them. So they were rusting outside behind the shed. I figured I can always buy/rent them if/when the need arises...

Edited by SubOperator
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

I thought you knew to follow my build. I think you know to see my "click here" link. I ran that ej257 on stock fueling tuned on ESP's dyno at 21psi with the vf52. The stock injectors had over 306,000 miles when I sold the wagon.

It really is that easy. The ej257 was still great some 150,000+ miles later.

@Max Capacity Your build will be quite close to mine. It is definitely one I followed / will be following. Just thought I'd open up to more input (the "while I am in there" equivalent of research)

18 hours ago, NORULZleggy said:

Please go VF52 at the least. Over build the car and then tune it for 320 and you will be very happy. I followed Max Cap, and added in tons more performance stuff. I search and got deals. I could tune it for more boost and power but, the trans and block would like it. You would be surprised how many feeling you hurt with that power. Oh do not cut corners, and make sure you add some GSC goodies to your heads.

@NORULZleggy I will likely stay vf40, given I already have that on hand / have a spare. Also with what Jmp can whip up, I think it'll perform just as well if not better than a stock VF52. Good to know about the GSC parts. I am not really familiar with what upgrades to do in the heads vs replace with stock

15 hours ago, SubOperator said:

Great info already here, what can I possibly add? Some thoughts, in no particular order:

- go head bolts, not studs;

- JMP turbo is a great idea. I've been happy with BNR16G running Stage2 tune with catless uppipe and catted CNT downpipe;

- on gauges, unless it's a must for you then prioritize per budget;

- OEM head gaskets;

- OEM seals/gaskets everywhere;

- Fluiddampr is a great idea. I felt the difference on mine right away;

- I do  not know if car is modded? What about catless OEM up-pipe (05 STI on mine, $50 on nasioc), and downpipe? No point in having JMP turbo with stock downpipe imho;

- when shopping for head gaskets/injector seals etc, go OEM; also, do not buy a seal kit unseen - check the manufacturing date. It may be wiser to buy all those separately to make sure they are manufactured recently. Seal kit is convenient for sure, has many small seals that are hard to find separately.

- oil pump? Water pump? I understand these are getting replaced;

- new engine mounts;

- new grounding straps;

- new starter? Can be replaced later but give it a thought;

- aftermarket oil line for that sexy new turbo?

- solid silicone turbo inlet is fine,a bitch to install but fine after.

- I guess new clutch and flywheel once the engine is out? May be Exidy Stage 2. Think about new clutch fork and TSK3 TOB kit.

Now I am not sure about the new AVCS, your call. With the mileage I think either new SB or rebuilt SB is a must. Heads should get full workout - valve seats, seals, springs and valves inspected and replaced if needed. Heads resurfaced.

If heads will get valve seats done, ask the shop how they will set the clearances. The one I used grinds valve stems to match, and it's been good. I did not have to get new buckets.

The Subaru grey sealant is great, can be found on Amazon too. There is very similar Toyota sealant. Do not go gorilla on it during application - too much can be applied very easily, ask me how I know.

Be careful disconnecting connectors around the engine, at this age they are fragile. While on connectors, perhaps good idea to replace coil pack connectors - I expect most will break when you disconnect them.

If you need any tools to borrow, let me know, I should have some and I am close. Unfortunately sold my engine hoist and engine stand.

@SubOperator thanks for the detail. Up pipe already catless. good to know on the DOM for the seal kit. Water pump will be replaced with new timing belt. Oil pump, idk do I get a new one or keep the existing one? all motor/trani mounts are ~20k miles old. Starter is ~40k miles old. Clutch is stock exidy wrx smfw ~20k old. I might swap that for the same unit Max has. His clutch pedal felt way lighter than mine. Engine harness has had any plastic conduit removed and replaced by the high heat tessa tape, and wrapped in a heat blanket. Connectors can be repined if they break (already done on some of the connectors). Thanks for the tooling offer. We'll see what I need. I do have a hoist and engine stand...this is my second high mileage subaru, these are a necessity haha

13 hours ago, utc_pyro said:

@utc_pyro hey any knowledge is useful. thanks for the info on the intercooler. I do have a lower mileage stock unit that isn't blown out yet (thanks Max Cap for the hook up). Maybe sticking stock for now and then going full bore into the air to water cause that would be awesome.

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

Epoxy the end tanks onto the spare stock intercooler for now and run at a lower boost level (15 PSI). Then use the motivation to do the air-water intercooler so you can turn up the boost.

Or ideally just go straight in with that and a bigger STI compressor housing turbo from day one. You’ll end up happier, and maybe cheaper. That way you can build the thing with all off the shelf components, hopefully reaching the “done” phase faster. This ends up costing less as  as you’re not tempted to upgrading each little thing more while you keep tweaking things, turning the car into a money pit with little incremental gains. 

Used STI takeoffs are fairly cheap, plus there is a sea of inexpensive aftermarket options in the 16/18G range.

I’d probably suggest this even if your goal is 250WHP on stock injectors. The entire system will be less stressed than a poor little VF40 with it’s neck rung out like we do on our standard Stage 2 tunes. That’ll give you a more reliable car long run.

Edited by utc_pyro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/25/2024 at 9:26 AM, KZJonny said:

I didn't see the bit about a new intercooler being on the list, but I will 100% say that the GS unit was an easy install and the end tanks will not separate from the heat exchanger portion. Dunno how soon @NORULZleggy wants to part with his, or how much the car is driven this time of year, but maybe a convenient time for everyone to play musical chairs with their IC's?

My car has been and will be on a trickle charger. i have a daily for winter. It see's no snow and rain. With kids sports and work, it stays clean in the garage. drive it only on nice days.

On 1/25/2024 at 9:48 AM, boxkita said:

if you can find a process west intercooler that was made for the lgt, I thought it was pretty good 

They are good, I had one on my 09 WRX.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boxkita said:

rattsl, Roderick Trinidad, is selling his processwest top mount on fb. as a former owner of the same, I can attest to its functionality and coolingness (sp).

asking $500

I am waiting on a shipping quote from him for this intercooler 😉, GS one will go into the Forester, and process west will go into the Legacy.

• Like 2

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

While I understand using what you have.. why not upgrade to top feed injectors? 07+ cars have them and finding them is an inexpensive thing. I found an entire setup for 80 bux with injectors. Not to mention once you get the better turbo, a retune won't be a bad idea. It's one of those "while you're in there" type of thing. Everything else mentioned is absolutely sound. The fluidampr is also a great idea. I run one while also having a lightened FW. Engine still responds faster than stock and actually (to me anyway..) feels smoother. 

• Like 3

i like that you had a plan. not that it's spiraled out of control...have you thought about adding a lift in your garage? dropping the subframes and doing a full restore is so much easier. Also putting on the full whiteline catalog is cake at that point.

btw, zf transmission in colorado is stepping up there machining operations. so you can get a hardened gearset for the sti 6mt. have you considered my 2008 sti 6mt swap?

at that point going full closed deck with upgraded cams starts to make sense. 

then you'll need better brakes. have you considered my jdm full endless brake swap?

if you need any more upgrade options let me know. for instance the English Racing top feed conversion with aerospace tubing w/customized black plastic intake?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, boxkita said:

i like that you had a plan. not that it's spiraled out of control...have you thought about adding a lift in your garage? dropping the subframes and doing a full restore is so much easier. Also putting on the full whiteline catalog is cake at that point.

btw, zf transmission in colorado is stepping up there machining operations. so you can get a hardened gearset for the sti 6mt. have you considered my 2008 sti 6mt swap?

at that point going full closed deck with upgraded cams starts to make sense. 

then you'll need better brakes. have you considered my jdm full endless brake swap?

if you need any more upgrade options let me know. for instance the English Racing top feed conversion with aerospace tubing w/customized black plastic intake?

You sir, are what we consider the other guy on the shoulder telling us that stock is boring... 

I, for one, agree...

• Haha 4

thank you for the gentle encouragement to spiral out of control. I can stop you at the suspension refresh rabbit hole....I already did that about 20k miles ago. The chasis is basically new, hence the desire to update the engine. Also the reason to not go buck wild on this is I also desire to get more wagons and a kei truck, which requires money, amongst other hobbies haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Steering Rack Rebuild

2 hours ago, jaylew said:

thank you for the gentle encouragement to spiral out of control. I can stop you at the suspension refresh rabbit hole....I already did that about 20k miles ago. The chasis is basically new, hence the desire to update the engine. Also the reason to not go buck wild on this is I also desire to get more wagons and a kei truck, which requires money, amongst other hobbies haha

That list from @boxkita looked like half of RS6. Which is awesome wagon.

Or you can wait if BMW NA brings M5 Touring stateside when it comes out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, boxkita said:

I've helped a number of owners on this forum over the years find a better use of their hard earned dollar than their usual mundane uses.

Its always nice to be acknowledged for this skill tho. Thanks.  

:hide:

I love this man!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

I had a few customers that were always willing to throw paychecks down the money pit and buy anything advertised as "jdm" or "upgrade".  I am sure I contributed to the demise of several marriages. Hell, I got sued by some kids mom for the engine build he and his dad ordered.  Her credit card covered the tab.  I had signed estimates and invoices.  I consider myself reformed for telling people to not blow it up.  Do as I say, not as I do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, m sprank said:

I had a few customers that were always willing to throw paychecks down the money pit and buy anything advertised as "jdm" or "upgrade".  I am sure I contributed to the demise of several marriages. Hell, I got sued by some kids mom for the engine build he and his dad ordered.  Her credit card covered the tab.  I had signed estimates and invoices.  I consider myself reformed for telling people to not blow it up.  Do as I say, not as I do. 

You have got to write a book about your experiences.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, m sprank said:

My wife was not impressed when I read her this comment out loud haha!

Steering Rack Rebuild

23 hours ago, jaylew said:

more wagons and a kei truck

YUS!

(3 wagons and counting. There is a non-rust-rotten bug-eye out Rex somewhere out there in the world that I will find one day.)

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 2