LegacyGT.com

Does a base model legacy transmission fit a legacy gt engine?

So I blew up my legacy’s engine because it burned through all its oil and I want to replace it with a legacy gt engine but I don’t know if my transmission from my legacy will fit that engine or not and I’d just like some insight on whether it would or if I’d need a new transmission 

You're trying to put a turbo engine in a non-turbo car?  You're gonna have a bad time.  You can bolt the Legacy GT engine to your non-turbo cars transmission; that's actually the easy part.  Getting the rest to work... $$$$$$$$$

Real talk here bud. If your letting your oil level get to the point of blowing your motor, not sure you’re a good candidate for a motor that is more complex, in need of regular monitoring to ensure engine longevity, and frankly more fussy, particularly if ignored. But yeah the swap isn’t easy or worth it…

As above… if it’s a 4eat, good luck getting it to play nice with a GT ECU.

NA EJ25s = cheap and plentiful.

Turbo EJ25 = not cheap to buy or make work in your chassis, not easy to  find. Etc….

If you really like the car, throw a salvage engine into it after pulling the heads, installing turbo head gaskets and new seals. Give it a valve job and rear main and go to town. Don’t let it run low on oil, and you’ll have something reliable and fun (if you have a manual, auto +NA EJ will never be much fun.)

If you want a turbo car, sell what you’ve got and buy a GT. You’ll spend less and get something that was designed to work as a complete unit….

There is a difference inside a GT's 5mt. The GT power will not treat the 2.5i 5mt well.

As said, years ago, if you want a GT, buy one. 

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

1 hour ago, blackobxt said:

It’s posts like this that really make me relate to and miss @m sprank

Oh, he's still around.... I just bet he saw this and decided it wasn't worth the blood pressure spike and navigated away. Lol!

Life happens. 

I dont have a Subaru. 

It has been over 5 years since I actually worked on one. 

I find myself slipping, and not remembering everything anymore.  Maybe I am not as much assistance as I once was. 

Long ago it was the "what upipe" questions that drove me insane.  Now its almost every question.  If I am not shaking my head at the (in my mind) ludicrous questions/statements... its the absolute zero knowledge questions looking for a savior.  The cars got older, the owners got younger.  This place makes me feel OLD.  I am losing my patience with the younger generation(s) as I transition to the grumpy old man stage of life.

But I am still "here".  ECM 2024 is in June and i will be attending.  Mailed off the deposit yesterday. 

Its been several months now with no car at all.  But my sig rig is getting well worn in.  I might need new seat cushions already, lol.  @KZJonny I finally found my '72 510 and 72' 240z (along with hundreds of other cars and tracks).  Been driving them both in the LA canyons, Pacific Coast Highway, etc. (with and without traffic).  Took a bit of your advice and turbo'd the 510, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, m sprank said:

as I transition to the grumpy old man stage of life.

Transition?

Your sense the past and the current moment are slipping a little there Mike. :hide:

Memory is like the third thing to go and I cant remember what the first two were.  In 5 years I will be a case of full blown dementia.  Be going straight blank like Joe Biden at the podium. 

I was never the "life of the party" and dealing with other humans is not my forte.  Amazing I have made it this far with my lack of social grace and overall demeanor. 

7 minutes ago, m sprank said:

Memory is like the third thing to go and I cant remember what the first two were.  In 5 years I will be a case of full blown dementia.  Be going straight blank like Joe Biden at the podium. 

I was never the "life of the party" and dealing with other humans is not my forte.  Amazing I have made it this far with my lack of social grace and overall demeanor. 

Still looking forward to seeing ya at the ECM anyway mate!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, m sprank said:

I finally found my '72 510 and 72' 240z (along with hundreds of other cars and tracks).  Been driving them both in the LA canyons, Pacific Coast Highway, etc. (with and without traffic).  Took a bit of your advice and turbo'd the 510, lol. 

I know the guy that paved the way to put VG30's into those 510's :D  neat cars!

8 minutes ago, blackobxt said:

You wouldn’t believe the amount of VG30 stuff I got rid of when I moved to az lol

You're killing me here.

I'm trying to collect all the necassaries to stuff a VG33 into my PL510.

59 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

You're killing me here.

I'm trying to collect all the necassaries to stuff a VG33 into my PL510.

Then I won’t tell you about the turbo manifolds, intake manifolds, ecu’s (a few were nistune), injectors, plenums, heads, wiring harnesses, ac compressors, distributors and etc that took a trailer to get rid of. I may have had a z car obsession there for a good while.

• Sad 1