LegacyGT.com

What else do I need with N/A uel headers?

Hey guys, 

I own a 98' Legacy OBW and I was wondering what options I might have for UEL headers. Based on what Ive researched, the impreza uel headers have a bend at the end of the headers that dont seem to line up with the stock legacy exhaust. 

One of the N/A impreza UELs I found...

https://caautoparts.com/products/hds-si97-25rs?currency=USD&variant=42277207539877&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&stkn=afe895cfea0d&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmNeqBhD4ARIsADsYfTczs104nk_gPvwn8Yt3oPSJSVp6N1HOXvQi5twUU_9PvauB66PpxskaArrBEALw_wcB

What modifications would i need (if at all) if i bought impreza headers?

Any tips are much appreciated🙏

Done no reading on this at all, but legitimately curious. What is the proposed benefit of the Impreza headers? I am assuming it's the same engine in both cars?

Generally all EJ headers are going to fit the exhaust ports the same, so anything custom will just be getting them to mate with your midpipe etc....

3 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Done no reading on this at all, but legitimately curious. What is the proposed benefit of the Impreza headers? I am assuming it's the same engine in both cars?

Generally all EJ headers are going to fit the exhaust ports the same, so anything custom will just be getting them to mate with your midpipe etc....

Yeah, thats what I was thinking 😅

I gues it is just getting it all to fit with the reat of the exhaust. Thanks!

And if I understand your question, (feel free to correct me if Im wrong) the 2nd gen Legacy and 1st gen Imprezas do have basically the same engine. The ej22 and ej25 depending on what trim level you got. 

Im just asking about Impreza UELs, cuz i want to get a little boxer rumble and I cant find stuff for 2nd gen leggys 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Emjayex said:

Yeah, thats what I was thinking 😅

I gues it is just getting it all to fit with the reat of the exhaust. Thanks!

And if I understand your question, (feel free to correct me if Im wrong) the 2nd gen Legacy and 1st gen Imprezas do have basically the same engine. The ej22 and ej25 depending on what trim level you got. 

Im just asking about Impreza UELs, cuz i want to get a little boxer rumble and I cant find stuff for 2nd gen leggys 🤷🏻‍♂️

Correction, I can only find stuff thats noted specifically for Imprezas. Nothing specifically noted to fit 95-99 Legacys

Gotcha.

I would imagine that cars of that age are getting a little harder to find in scrap yards, but I still see some older gen stuff popping up here and there. Could be a good place to get something cheap to try out?

Forgot the early Legacies had the EJ22. I definitely do not know if the spaceing between the heads/exhaust ports is the same, but off the cuff I would guess is it. However, where the headers collect to and join with the front pipe could be a lot different because of differences in the chassis. I imagine someone on here might know for sure. I went the other way and did the rumble delete for more efficient power... 😆

• Thanks 1

You may have a little more luck at nasioc.com as well... Lots of information on Imprezas over there, and maybe even which headers may be appropriate.

And I've had a couple of NA EJ25s as well, so I get it. Still pretty fun and torquey when paired with a manual trans. I have an auto right now for a winter car, and it's not the best....

But, what I meant was that the EL header you have is going to get you better performance by a tiny margin than the UEL. Better exhaust scavenging and less reversion with the synchronous exhaust pulses. No rumble tho.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KZJonny said:

You may have a little more luck at nasioc.com as well... Lots of information on Imprezas over there, and maybe even which headers may be appropriate.

And I've had a couple of NA EJ25s as well, so I get it. Still pretty fun and torquey when paired with a manual trans. I have an auto right now for a winter car, and it's not the best....

But, what I meant was that the EL header you have is going to get you better performance by a tiny margin than the UEL. Better exhaust scavenging and less reversion with the synchronous exhaust pulses. No rumble tho.

Ahh yes, forgot about NASIOC. Ill post my question over there as well. 

And thats a bummer. The auto is 4 speed, right? I do have the 5 speed though and I enjoy it. Its taken quite a beating since its what I started learning manual on lol

Hmm, I might have to look at what the stock headers sound like with a decent muffler. I guess I just dont want it sounding like the typical grocery getter or like a fart can either.

And speaking of exhaust, do you (or anyone else) know of any heatshield fixes? Mine rattles like crazy and its all I hear around 2k-3.5k rpm

Also, you can probably get a full cat back for the price of a set of new headers… and that will likely sounds nice if you choose well, or have something custom made.

For the heat shields, either put worm clamps around them and tighten them down a little till they are snug, or just remove them. Aside from the ones on the header, none are going to cause your car to melt if they aren’t there.

Even the header ones are kind of optional, but really shouldn’t be removed if at all possible.

2 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Also, you can probably get a full cat back for the price of a set of new headers… and that will likely sounds nice if you choose well, or have something custom made.

For the heat shields, either put worm clamps around them and tighten them down a little till they are snug, or just remove them. Aside from the ones on the header, none are going to cause your car to melt if they aren’t there.

Even the header ones are kind of optional, but really shouldn’t be removed if at all possible.

Ok, Ill try the worm clamps out and see if I can fix it. 

Im not sure if Ive seen any exhaust options for my car. I know some wrx/impreza stuff might work with some custom welding or whatnot. Ill check again. I just dont want it to be too loud 🤷🏻‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2023 at 10:48 AM, KZJonny said:

Btw, I did just want to update that I got my heatshields to stop rattling. I got a bunch of steel wool and stuffed it in the heatshields where it was rattling and for now, its all fixed 🙏

I have some clamps just in case it starts rattling again

• Like 1