LegacyGT.com

Water pump bolt

05 LGT

Screwed up one of my water pump block thread. Over torqued the bolt to 13ft lbs and sure enough the bolt broke. In the process of extracting the bolt, I seemed to made it worse.

At that point I’ve decided to just get the correct heli coil kit and make a new thread. Just when I thought all was well, it wasn’t. I didn’t center the heli coil so back to square one. 

I’ve tried gasket maker and just 5/6 bolts holding the pump on but still leaks. 
Any suggestions?
Such a shame, was a low mileage longblock too at 65k 

Edited by Phosoup253

If it fits, you could try a size larger bolt.  I'm guessing it's M6?  Maybe tapping it at 1/4 or even M8?  Or if you can drill the hole out some, and get a sleeve you can press in and tap to proper size.

At this point, worth a shot.

A Dremel with a buffing attachment might help get rid of the gouges.  Or getting a metal filler..... 

Edited by GearJamr

Yeah there are some gouging on the sealing surfaces I’m not so proud of. Combination of being frustrated, back problems and not being the most patient individual led me to being a little careless while tackling this job with the limited space. 
Luckily I didn’t put everything back together so pulling engine should take no longer than 30 min. I’ll have this on a stand and take some better pics. 

• Sad 1

You really can’t have too many torque wrenches.

A little reading up on tolerances and how % accuracy is measured helps as well.

I misunderstood some of that early into working on cars and engines, and made some mistake (broke some bolts) that I really should not have. A clutch basket retaining bolt in my KZ650 comes to mind…. Regretfully.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that bolt broke at 13ft/lb.  that's only 5nm over spec.  13ftlb = 17nm, spec is 12nm.  just for the record subaru wants you to do two passes of 12nm starting at the top going clockwise, saabaru on the other hand wants one pass of 8nm and a second pass of 12nm. I suppose someone prior could have abused the threads and weakened them.

If you're lucky that will still seal, be sure to use an OE metal crushy type gasket.