LegacyGT.com

Too good to pass up

I’m not currently in the market for a new car, but my friend who I sold my Sti to many years back just told me he’s planning on throwing it up for sale and he wanted to give me the option to buy it before he posts it. 

car is a 2005 Sti and here’s what I did to it before selling it to him:

Converted front end to hawk eye with all oem parts

painted aspen white originally silver

aps 525 front mount

dw850 injectors

invidia g200 catback 3” dp

tuned by me on e85

sold with around 62,000 miles with lots of extra comfort goodies installed heated seats, 5 channel amp, touch screen, 2 way remote start.

since he has owned it he added:

coilovers avid1 Av-20 and it now has 121,000 miles.

he bought a spare 257 motor on a fresh build with pauter x-beam rods, supertech pistons, Perrin inlet, fp red, tial ewg, tgv deletes and dw850’s. He pulled the perfectly fine motor to switch to the built set up and got caught up in utv racing and enjoying his e85 gr Supra and hasn’t touched it since. He threw a killer deal at me if I buy it as is with both motors and all parts and honestly I’ll deeply regret it if I pass it up. 

my concerns are the car is 1,000 miles away from me so I have no idea how I’m going to get it to az. Maybe rent a uhaul and trailer?. Second of all the car is tuned with an accessport and e85 is extremely hard to find around me. I have access tuner race still installed on a laptop, I wonder if that still would work?

image.thumb.jpeg.3944fd52ea802a6a71602a326a8024a1.jpeg

• Like 3

Yeah I think that’s the plan. I have regretted selling this for a while now. He would let me borrow it when I would visit and refused to sell it back to me. I could fly down and throw the original motor back in it, but I’d rather not have to store anything over there. That and I have a stand up jetski I really need to bring back that’s there as well that would probably love to see water again. And this is far beyond the scope of a good deal. There are beat up trashed clapped out wrx’s going for quite a bit more than what I’m getting this for.

Edited by blackobxt
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, blackobxt said:

as you can see here when I did the Hawkeyes conversion I welded in the proper core support. 100% oem parts

image000003.jpeg

I’ll remember this, and come asking questions if I ever find a WRX in my climate that isn’t a rusted mess…

There are some, but these days it’s nearly impossible to find a bugeye, so doing a conversion on a ‘04-06 or thereabouts would be the only way to ‘make’ one….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KZJonny said:

I’ll remember this, and come asking questions if I ever find a WRX in my climate that isn’t a rusted mess…

There are some, but these days it’s nearly impossible to find a bugeye, so doing a conversion on a ‘04-06 or thereabouts would be the only way to ‘make’ one….

Hit me up anytime. It’s really not that difficult, but brand new oem parts were $$$$$. If that’s your goal id find a good front end in a salvage yard and drill and cut out the core support and grab everything else you can. It’s just a matter of removing the existing support and squaring up and welding in the new one, paint and start bolting things up.

• Like 1

Thanks, if I ever get lucky enough to find one and have money at the same time. Hah!

I would 100% be out looking around for a bugeye I could cut up, etc... I've seen people convert bugeyes to "other" fronts for whatever reason, so presumably there occassionally front ends being sold off cheap as well.

OE parts wouldn't make much sense when you're talking about cars that are ~20 years old now, and not really worth a whole lot any longer....

Cheers!

Just pulled the trigger. My plan is to pull off the ole turn and burn. I’m going to fly to Wyoming and throw the original motor in and stay a day shaking it down and visiting then I’m going to drive back to az (13hrs). Buddy who is selling me the car said I could use his shop and I know I can have it back together in a few short hrs. I’m going to load the car with parts and throw the other motor on a pallet and have it shipped to me.

Any guesses on what I paid???

• 2 weeks later...

Flight is booked for November. I pulled out my old tooning laptop and launched access tuner race which loaded with all the good options still intact. It prompted me to update but I chose the efff noooo option and turned Wi-Fi off. Worst case, I have all the revisions of my tooning on there including a Cobb stage 2 91 that’s just scaled for the 850’s. I’ll run that and as long as the learning view looks good in the cruise cells and if not I’ll make adjustments just to get it home. I was informed the car has brand new tires on it that haven’t even seen the road yet and I also ordered a couple of oem gaskets and sent them to my parents house just in case. What could go wrong lol

Edited by blackobxt
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

I spent about 8hrs trying to find all the parts and pieces that were spread out between 3 shops and a shed all on this 3ish acre piece of land and about 2.5hrs getting the motor in. I had some concerns about the e85 that was sitting in the tank for about 2yrs now. After debating with myself on wether or not to drain it and realizing that I’ve never had issues or actually seen anyone have issues I decided to start it with what was in the tank and it fired off with zero issues. Drove it for 20miles with no leaks or concerns and decided to start the 1,013 mile journey home.

• Like 5