LegacyGT.com

Subaru oil filters...

So apparently this has been an issue for some time now, but at least around here I have been able to get the 15208AA12A filter until just recently (usually pick up a few when I buy parts) - the last time I bought parts, I found several places didn't have that filter in stock, but Heuberger indicated they did, so I ordered some with a few other parts I bought - the filters they sent were unmarked with a flat gasket instead of the o-ring like one and the only markings were some text on the end that said they were the SOA6351520812.  Looking a bit, I found that these have apparently been an emergency replacement for Subaru since late last year as they could no longer source their filters.  I found a video on Youtube that was pretty surprising - internally, the "new" filter looks a lot better than the old one in that it has metal end caps for the filter media instead of cardboard, and a more open inner liner.  I was really surprised to see the paper endcaps on the old filter.  I ended up just going and buying some 15208AA100 filters and am going to use those for a bit.  To be fair, the tear downs don't tell anything about the efficacy of the filter media (which is the important part), and odds are any of them are just fine, but I really like the o-ring style gasket... 

I've pretty much always used OEM filters for my car (actually was really helpful when I had the short block incident a few years back in demonstrating oil change intervals) - did that both for my old 02 WRX and then my LGT...

Anyway - here's the vid

Just FYI.

Fram makes filters for Subaru. They have for years. withb the exception of the Rokis for the EZ30 and 36.  Just go over to Walmart and grab a Fram Ultra.  A Mobil 1 or K&N Gold are also good bets(both made by champion labs)

I would just go to the dealer and get a filter. Even ifs the new part # at least you know it is real and what to look for.  The fake crap flooding the market now on Amazon and Ebay is getting bad.

Edited by MoleMan

16 hours ago, MoleMan said:

Fram makes filters for Subaru. They have for years. withb the exception of the Rokis for the EZ30 and 36. 

Yup - certainly true for the blue ones (the 15208AA12A and 15208AA15A) - before that it was Purolator (I haven't seen any other Fram filters with the o-ring style gasket, so maybe they decided they didn't want to deal with that any more - who knows).  The current two (the SOA6351520812 and SOA6351520815) are made by AC Delco.  The black filters are Tokyo Roki - used to be able to get those from the dealer for my 02 WRX when I had it. 

I've just always used OEM filters on my Subarus (which is funny because that's definitely not what I do with our van or my daughters SUV) - I guess I got it in my head way back in 01-02 that the OEM was the way to guarantee the bypass valve pressure, and have just always done that.  Anyway - I picked up a few of the 15208AA100 Tokyo-Roki filters for my car and will be using those now, I guess.  Do I have to? no.  Will it matter in the long run?  odds are not.  Am I still going to do it. yup.  (given the cost of fuel, oil, etc. the difference in cost of the filters is insignificant, and I just like the construction better) - I ended up buying them from Flatirons tuning in CO.

I use Wix, they publish relatively detailed information about every filter they make, including bypass pressure. The other great thing about them is that they make tons of filters for pretty much everything, so Wix filters for my cars and motorcycles.

I personally use OEM here too for mostly the same reasons.  

Besides the bypass pressure specs, the OEM filters were also reviewed to be very well built and to filter very well IIRC.

These turbo engines are very hard on oil and in this area I feel the quality is worth the additional expense of OEM.

I wouldnt mind the other aftermarket filters with the right specs too, actually.  There are many with good reviews and OEM manufacturers for other makes. Wix was actually GTG IIRC.

In my case they are few and far in between in my area, and then you have to check they are not fakes.  So OE ended up working best for my needs.

I know NAPA gold filters at least used to be made by Wix - I have bought them (Wix) for our Odyssey (usually buy stuff from rockauto) - oddly enough, the Fram filters called out for the Legacy GT (the XG6607 or PH6607) on the Rockauto site list a 13 psi bypass pressure.  Wix is definitely listed as 23, same as in the service manual.

• Like 2

been using OEM mazda rx-8(09-12) filters for a couple years--same bypass pressure, bigger capacity, and make by roki...works for me...N3R1-14-302 is the part number...about $11 from the dealer and it's just fine by me.

here's a big (OLD) comparison of subaru filters...who knows what's changed since then but...should give some ideas...

(All Years) - Subaru oil filter comparison | Subaru Forester Owners Forum

Edited by creep_nu
  • Like 1

I've thought of using the Mazda filters - if I couldn't source the AA100's I probably would have done that (and might in the future) - that thread on the Forester site is great - looks like there used to be pictures, too (must not have been hosted on the site) -a site that has some info (in the form of images) is "http://www.bescaredracing.com/sti/oil/filters/" - that's older still (the link still works - had it from when I had my WRX)

I've been using the Wix 57712 on both vehicles for a while, and neither one has blown up, so I guess I don't have any complaints.  I think my main reason for going that route was that it was new-ish (introduced the higher bypass pressure setting) and well-recommended (or at least well-hyped) right around the time I discovered that Fram makes/made the OEM filters with the same cardboard innards that they use in the OCOD.

I actually bought a 12-pack a number of years ago from the link below, since both of my vehicles use the same filter- as of today, the per-unit pricing including shipping beats everybody but Rock Auto, assuming you're already ordering something else that ships from the same warehouse.  Down to my last one, though, might be time to reorder...

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix57712.html

Edit: Looks like Rock Auto would be $0.15/ea. cheaper (including shipping) if you buy 12.  I have other stuff in my cart right now, and adding filters royally screwed up the shipping prices...

Interesting. I bought a pack of them on Amazon maybe a month ago after discovering that the usual dealer I order them from wanted like $12 each and was asking like $18 for shipping. I used to buy them like six at a time given that my wife’s car, mother-in-law’s car, and my mom’s car all use that one. Makes sense to keep a pile of them.

I wonder if I managed to squeak in before they disappeared altogether.

8 hours ago, DrD123 said:

I've thought of using the Mazda filters - if I couldn't source the AA100's I probably would have done that (and might in the future) - that thread on the Forester site is great - looks like there used to be pictures, too (must not have been hosted on the site) -a site that has some info (in the form of images) is "http://www.bescaredracing.com/sti/oil/filters/" - that's older still (the link still works - had it from when I had my WRX)

Yes that review used to have pictures, it was a very interesting and detailed article and one of the reasons I decided on the Tokyo Roki AA100's.