LegacyGT.com

July 14-16, '23 – Tail of the Dragon: Mid-Summer Meetup

Febreze Mee

July 14 & 15, 2023

Greenback, TN & Vonore, TN

Loudon & neighboring counties

Above will be the town our AirBnB resides in, making it our base of operations. The micro timeline below operates best out of Greenback. However, please don't think you're restricted to joining us if you're not local. Come along for the two days we will spend in the TN/NC area. Refer to the micro timeline below for more details. It exist so you can feel free to jump in for lunch, a drive or two, dinner, or whenever your schedule allows.

I've added a notes section that will be dedicated to getting out general guidance and info.

Notes:

JUNE 2, 2023 1:04am

• I'm going to begin accounting for RSVPs, please respond according to the format in the post below. Of note, anyone who falls into the "most likely," "75%," "probably" categorization will be counted as a confirmed attendee, unless we're update otherwise. Confirmed attendees will be defined as anyone who will be participating in one or more of the hit times (a meal, pictures, a partial/full drive) found on the micro timeline below.

Confirmed Attendees (car count)

Forum Members: 

@Febreze Mee / @seanyb505

Guests: 2

STi Type RA / R35 GTR

Micro Timeline:

July 14, Friday

• 7:00am - Departure from Greenback, TN to Atlanta, GA
  • 11:00am - Museum tour at Porsche Experience Center (PEC) in Atlanta, GA
  • 12:30pm - Lunch at PEC
  • 2:00pm - SimRig racing at PEC until complete

July 15, Saturday

• 8:00am - Departure from Greenback, TN to start first drive
  • 8:00am - First drive: Devil's Triangle Drive (3-hr loop back to Greenback)
  • 11:00am - Lunch in Greenback, TN (taking suggestions)
  • 12:00pm - Pictures (taking suggestions) (it can be anywhere along the second drive)
  • 12:30pm - Second drive: Tail of the Dragon/Cherohala Skyway Drive (6-hr loop back to Greenback)
  • 7:00pm - Dinner in Greenback (taking suggestions)

Original Post:

On 5/3/2023 at 8:47 AM, Febreze Mee said:

My best friend, Dad, and myself are taking the Subarus and GTR to Tail of the Dragon this summer for a spontaneous trip and a check on the bucket list. We'll be in the Greenback, TN area July 14 & July 15. The 13th and 16th are travel days for us. I have a rough macro timeline and will amend this post with it as soon as it's more solidified. The idea is to drive the Dragon with y'all on July 15 and make a day out of it. If the rest of our itinerary falls in line with your time and interests, you are MORE than welcome to come along —really.

This thread was put together in hopes of catching those who may not be able to make it to the June Meetup @Enlight is hosting, and for those who are in close proximity that have higher hopes of making the trek @Infosecdad

All are welcome, and this is not a model-specific invitation, the only prerequisites are bringing something to have fun in, and being responsible.

To kick this thread off, I'd like to start similarly to the last one by having each member list:

State:

Distance willing to drive:

Odds of attendance:

Picture of Car(s) attending:

Edited by Febreze Mee
  • Like 3

MILKRUN  - Click Here

5 hours ago, seanyb505 said:

State: SC

Distance willing to drive: 11 miles. 

Odds of attendance: 75%

Picture of Car(s) attending:

20230415_133640_HDR.jpg

I'm so dense! I was literally measuring the from the most northwestern tip of SC to the start of the Dragon and kept getting 57mi. I was like "11mi?? How?!"

I get it now. This one made me smile.

• Haha 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, seanyb505 said:

I'm still intending on this, will work on a firm rsvp and integration into the timeline. Pm me if I don't respond by end of this weekend. 

Absolutely! Thanks for letting me know. 

44 minutes ago, boxkita said:

greenback looks like a great location for a base. So much fun nearby.

While I was searching for fun near Chattanooga, I found a road "Chasing the Dragon Hillclimb Start Line"
https://maps.app.goo.gl/XHxoPE4uTDRUqywk6?g_st=ic

This road was considered. If only there was more time!

• Haha 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Ugh, looks like I'm probably not going to make this. Between wife's availability and child care, it's not sounding positive. I probably wouldn't be able to join until just the tail of dragon bit anyway.  

Maybe we can get more lgt.com interest on a future date. 

• Sad 2

On 6/3/2023 at 11:00 AM, seanyb505 said:

Maybe we can get more lgt.com interest on a future date. 

I would make the trek to a cruise around the area and a tail of the dragon meet, but would probably need quite a lot of notice. Like late this fall or next year.

My OEM (and original!) clutch is stubbornly continuing to hold power. I need to let the smoke out so I have en excuse to put the new one it. TOTD should do it. Too bad it's so far from home. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Enlight said:

I will have a much better idea of whether I can join after the June 16th meetup. Engine is going into Bessie this week and getting tuned next Tuesday. Gonna try like hell to make it.

That makes two of us, on the engine installation this week. 

Thanks for the heads up. I am hopefully looking forward to your update by the end of ECM weekend. 

2 hours ago, KZJonny said:

I would make the trek to a cruise around the area and a tail of the dragon meet, but would probably need quite a lot of notice. Like late this fall or next year.

My OEM (and original!) clutch is stubbornly continuing to hold power. I need to let the smoke out so I have en excuse to put the new one it. TOTD should do it. Too bad it's so far from home. 🤪

Good to know! I will bear this in mind for the next adventure, when the planning stages come. 

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Hmmm.....  I have no car, but I do have a sim rig.  My wife is planning a road trip to meet old friends at Dollywood in July.  Thats about 1.5hours from Tail of the Dragon.  Wonder if I can work something out...........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, m sprank said:

Hmmm.....  I have no car, but I do have a sim rig.  My wife is planning a road trip to meet old friends at Dollywood in July.  Thats about 1.5hours from Tail of the Dragon.  Wonder if I can work something out...........

Even if it was just for lunch that Saturday, come through!

• Like 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

1 hour ago, m sprank said:

Are you allowed to have a bike? Cheaper than most any car, and you’d put the rest of us to shame on the Dragon…. 😁

• Haha 1

You can rent a mustang. or anything. get the cheapest rental car. air up the tires. flog it there and back. set the air to normal specs. diy car wash to get rubber and road debris off. return.

next renter will be happy you drove it.

Ive never done this but read it on the internet. Hertz had the best cars...

Left all my bikes behind in Cali.  The Buell XB-12 Lightening would have been PERFECT.  Even my bobber would have been fun.  Am I allowed, wife has never tried to stop me on or with a bike.  But...  I have had to sit in recovery while the surgeon explains to her that I may never have use of my right arm again, and will never ride again.  He was wrong on all accounts, but no that wrong.  I would love to ride tail of the dragon.  But I know I cant ride it the way I used to be able to.  Its a mind f*%k thing. 

Did not think of a rental.  I could buy their insurance and return the car like Johnny Knoxville in Jackass.  Just remove my blowup sex doll and run.  LOL.  Did it to a 5.0 Mustang in Richmond, VA back in the late 90's.  Thats a story for the meet campfire, ROFL. 

4th of July 2018 I took a solo 5+ hour ride into the Cali hi desert mountains.  My last good ride.  The bike was sold 1 week later. 

20190626_162745.jpg

20190626_163811.jpg

20190624_071518.jpg

20190624_071128.jpg

20180703_160729.jpg

20180703_160833.jpg

Edited by m sprank
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...