LegacyGT.com

Driver's side HVAC blend door actuator - R/R without pulling the whole dash?

I have seen a couple of threads where users stated this could be done, but I can't find any confirmation or pictures/video of the method. Can anyone give me some tips and tricks to getting this done? I really do NOT want to pull the dash.

BTW, my issue is drivers side blowing hot regardless of dual auto climate control settings. Mode switch works fine, and passenger side switches from cold to hot no problem. At first it was stock on blowing only cold, and I was just going to be happy with that but one cold morning the system decided to switch to heat and get stuck there... So it seems like a straightforward diagnosis of the driver's side blend actuator. Spring doesn't last long in TX and I need that drivers side AC to work or I'll melt all over the leather.

So far I have received two helpful tips to accomplish this without removing the dash.

1. Pull the center console cubby and use that access to pop out the instrument cluster - this should give the basic access needed to swap the actuator, but the lower center stack trim may also need to be removed for the lower screws.

2. Make sure you have a very compact 1/4" bit ratchet available to get into that tight space - even a stubby screwdriver probably won't be able to get in there.

There's a fella over at the OB forum that says he is going to attempt this sometime next week and report back, so if he follows through I will update here as well.

• Thanks 2

I had the same issue, stuck on hot air on driver side side.

The driver side actuator was much harder to replace than the passenger side and if I remember correctly I did not have to remove the cluster.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I've replaced the driver's side actuator by just removing the driver's side kick panel under the steering wheel.

It's wonderfully uncomfortable to jamb in there to get it out, but didn't come anywhere close to removing the dash.

• Like 3

Like I said.  Same deal as passenger, you just get the joy of having the throttle pedal in your ear and the others against your shoulder. At my age, I would probably have a younger assistant lay across the floor board and over the sill.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, buppus said:

The Driver's side blend actuator is 72131AG27A. I'm leaving the passenger side alone for the time being.

Luckily for you the passenger side is substantially easier to get to. There are three actuators all in the same place so while you have the kick panel out, mess with the climate control settings and watch all three do their magic. You can drive around with the interior somewhat pulled apart for a couple days while you wait to replace any extra parts you found dead. As a bonus, you can finally replace that cabin air filter you've probably never replaced!

• Like 1

For what it's worth you can get the entire HVAC unit with all the actuators, heater core, a/c evap, etc for cheaper than the 3 actuators separately. But you know the old saying, they start with the heater core on the assembly line and build the car around it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 4:44 PM, Rusty9 said:

For what it's worth you can get the entire HVAC unit with all the actuators, heater core, a/c evap, etc for cheaper than the 3 actuators separately. But you know the old saying, they start with the heater core on the assembly line and build the car around it.

Link? I am going to do the following very soon: replace dash, replace driver side actuator, replace heater core, replace passenger airbag. Still not sure if it is worth getting an OEM vs non OEM heater core. Not even sure if the a/c evap should be replaced or not. But as far as I saw, the latter is $$$.

6 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Link? I am going to do the following very soon: replace dash, replace driver side actuator, replace heater core, replace passenger airbag. Still not sure if it is worth getting an OEM vs non OEM heater core. Not even sure if the a/c evap should be replaced or not. But as far as I saw, the latter is $$$.

Someone here was saying it’s cheaper to get the whole HVAC box as a unit then the cost of just the actuators…. 
(SubOperator?)

I didn’t follow up on that since I’ve for some second hand actuators Ima try cleaning up and swapping out first.

But if you’re going to do the whole dash anyway. I think the HVAC core ha the evaporator and heater core included.

• 1 month later...

All of my vents are blowing hot air. Could this still be an issue with this actuator? My car was in storage over the winter and I was hearing the intermittent clicking noise from that actuator before I last used it. Is it possible to swap the driver side actuator without removing the gauge cluster? I've removed the dash a couple times but wasn't able to remove it without removing the steering wheel first. I think some people have different versions of the Legacy with telescoping steering wheels that make this task easier but mine doesn't have that.

Edited by hateitorloveit

Are you able to change modes? Ie, can you switch from defrost to vents to feet? Mine has been doing that and recently, my driver side actuator went out. I cannot switch between the different modes. If yours is only blowing out hot air. It’s probably one of the ones on the passenger side.