LegacyGT.com

New driver looking to install modifications on my 05 LGT 2.5L sedan

RynoLGT

I just got my license about 3 months ago and have been driving an 05 LGT with 100k miles. I am looking for tips/tricks/ideas I should do to start the process of building a good looking, decent power, long lasting Legacy. What mods should I get first? Which mods should I stay away from? What can I expect from this car in the next couple years? Anything information will help me a ton! Thank you! FYI, I am 17, reeling in only $300 per week

D032AC5C-09B8-4806-87B1-1A5293325909.jpeg

EE188C14-BB10-46B0-ADEA-89ABC4007056.jpeg

81C85B17-5672-4236-B112-9519F8452DC2.jpeg

F701689F-952D-4F19-8BBA-6A4F06861675.jpeg

Edited by RynoLGT

What I have so far (installed and not installed)

New rims, spoiler, front lip, new performance enhancer brakes(rotors, brake pads, calipers, etc.) SPT air intake system, interior carbon fiber wrap, other small interior accessories. 

do you have the cobb accessport? if nit, finding a way to tune it will help most. Because lgt doesn't autotune.

If the timing belt hasn't been changed, that's your biggest failure in your future.

Theres a maintenance section that tells everything you need to do for care & feeding of your lgt.

Sadly, on $300/week income, you're in for hard times if you stay on your current path. Keeping up on the basic maintenance will prevent a part out in your near future. 

• Thanks 1

I'm assuming you're in your parents place for now. So you may not like this answer but it's got the long run in mind.  

Timing belt will be your first concern as boxkita said. The interval is 100k miles or 10 years. After that, keep fluids clean and fresh. There are some other mileage based stuff, but none are really show stoppers like a broken timing belt. 

After that, start saving. Save for inevitably leaving your parents house in a few years, and save for unexpected repairs. Both are going to cost a lot more than you expect. Heck after the last few years they're going to cost more than I expect after having already paid for it and seen totals before covid. 

Next I'd say make sure your engine is healthy. Compression test is good if you don't have to pay for it. (Got any connections with tools?) Though isn't necessary unless you think something is already wrong. After that, yeah getting the access port is probably the first mod that is both health and performance related. The stock tune can be iffy, though I took mine all the way to 200k before touching the ecu. 

Expect to pay a fair amount for one of those, up to half your monthly income. 

Keeping the fluids fresh and not driving crazy will keep the car going for several years, which is likely when you'll start to feel like you have disposable income for more fun mods. 

17 and building a Subaru on $15k a year don't frequently mix. A lot of guys here have spent that much in vaguely stock builds, but over time. Not trying to be a gatekeeper, but as I first mentioned this will be a good path and serve you better in the long run. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, boxkita said:

do you have the cobb accessport? if nit, finding a way to tune it will help most. Because lgt doesn't autotune.

If the timing belt hasn't been changed, that's your biggest failure in your future.

Theres a maintenance section that tells everything you need to do for care & feeding of your lgt.

Sadly, on $300/week income, you're in for hard times if you stay on your current path. Keeping up on the basic maintenance will prevent a part out in your near future. 

Thank you so much for your thoughts and ideas, luckily I am getting a new job that pays almost double to what I’m getting now. I have been thinking of getting the COBB accessport V3. I will also do some research on a timing belt! Thanks again!

48 minutes ago, seanyb505 said:

I'm assuming you're in your parents place for now. So you may not like this answer but it's got the long run in mind.  

Timing belt will be your first concern as boxkita said. The interval is 100k miles or 10 years. After that, keep fluids clean and fresh. There are some other mileage based stuff, but none are really show stoppers like a broken timing belt. 

After that, start saving. Save for inevitably leaving your parents house in a few years, and save for unexpected repairs. Both are going to cost a lot more than you expect. Heck after the last few years they're going to cost more than I expect after having already paid for it and seen totals before covid. 

Next I'd say make sure your engine is healthy. Compression test is good if you don't have to pay for it. (Got any connections with tools?) Though isn't necessary unless you think something is already wrong. After that, yeah getting the access port is probably the first mod that is both health and performance related. The stock tune can be iffy, though I took mine all the way to 200k before touching the ecu. 

Expect to pay a fair amount for one of those, up to half your monthly income. 

Keeping the fluids fresh and not driving crazy will keep the car going for several years, which is likely when you'll start to feel like you have disposable income for more fun mods. 

17 and building a Subaru on $15k a year don't frequently mix. A lot of guys here have spent that much in vaguely stock builds, but over time. Not trying to be a gatekeeper, but as I first mentioned this will be a good path and serve you better in the long run. 

I really appreciate the thoughts and ideas, I will continue to keep the car clean and healthy, I will start making a lot more money soon. I will definitely be back in these forums to update on the journey! Thank you so much!

4 minutes ago, m sprank said:

Too far for me to assist locally.  But yes, ditch the please blow my motor/spt intake.  Stock airbox is superior to that intake. 

"m sprank" is a knowledgeable builder of lgt for many years. If he says ditch something, it means he's seen real world failures because of the item(s).

• Thanks 1

Agreed. The stock intake has maf scaling for the air coming in, and if that’s incorrectly measured such as with an aftermarket intake, it can be very bad. This can be tuned by a professional, but a panel filter in the OEM intake works even better. Sell the SPT intake to get funds for an Accessport!

Very difficult to tune the SPT intake.  MAF sensor is located on a bend.  Air turbulence within the intake causes erratic MAF readings.  Need a smoother flowing intake that can be scaled properly.  I speak not from my arse, but from experience.  10 years ago the SPT intake was considered blasphemy on this forum. 

• Thanks 1

With what you’ve said and everyone else-stay stock, stay happy. This car is plenty fun in stock form without making it a 300+ horsepower monster. That will require way more money than you’ll be able to have for a while (still there with my original project from college. I’m almost 40 now. Life happens). Plus, another thing to keep in mind: more power comes with less reliability. Maintenance costs alone to keep it up and healthy will put a strain on that $300/wk budget, along with gas.  We’ve all been down this road being car enthusiasts. If you want to improve the car without compromising your engine, invest in suspension, brakes, and tires. Replacing the timing belt and other worn chassis components/wear items on a 100k car will keep that budget busy for a while. Last bit of advice: from one of then longtime members on here these cars aren’t for the faint of heart or wallet. I don’t own my car or plan on keeping it because its the reliable financially responsible choice. It can put a smile on my face anytime I drove it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2023 at 3:33 PM, m sprank said:

Too far for me to assist locally.  But yes, ditch the please blow my motor/spt intake.  Stock airbox is superior to that intake. 

I’ll have to purchase an OEM intake then, because the SPT came with the car and the owner has passed away…. The original was probably sold already. I’ll sell the SPT for funds on an OEM. Thank you!

5 hours ago, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

With what you’ve said and everyone else-stay stock, stay happy. This car is plenty fun in stock form without making it a 300+ horsepower monster. That will require way more money than you’ll be able to have for a while (still there with my original project from college. I’m almost 40 now. Life happens). Plus, another thing to keep in mind: more power comes with less reliability. Maintenance costs alone to keep it up and healthy will put a strain on that $300/wk budget, along with gas.  We’ve all been down this road being car enthusiasts. If you want to improve the car without compromising your engine, invest in suspension, brakes, and tires. Replacing the timing belt and other worn chassis components/wear items on a 100k car will keep that budget busy for a while. Last bit of advice: from one of then longtime members on here these cars aren’t for the faint of heart or wallet. I don’t own my car or plan on keeping it because its the reliable financially responsible choice. It can put a smile on my face anytime I drove it. 

Thank you for the advice! I will use this information.

• Like 1

Check your local parts yards for OEM snorkel and intake piping. It can be had for about $20, if you do not including the MAF.

Fun fact: As I was getting OEM snorkel and air box for my second OB, I found that Subaru had two different molds for the box itself. One box has a second mounting tab molded onto it, the other is smooth without a mounting tab. Both work just the same. 41AA1815-87FB-4C17-A67F-FCBC299FDD0B.thumb.jpeg.c7b63dd2ad17ae9d2ccbf729ab2b3536.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here