LegacyGT.com

Replacing blown headlight bulb

Waynerm002

Ok, I did a search and did not find anything on this subject. My driver's side low beam is gone and I need to replace it. I found info on removing the side marker but that is way too involved to just change a bulb. Is there an easier way? HELP!!! Need to do this tonight!

It's really easy. Just remove the pop-it from the washer fluid neck and bend the filler neck back out of the way. The low beam bulb is right behind it. Unclip the harness, turn the dome shaped cover 1/4 turn and remove, unclip the retaining wire (it's captive on one side, no worries about dropping it), and remove the bulb.

Thanks all! I figured it out after using a light to look around the housing. Felt silly after coming back in and seeing your replies. Went out and bought a pair of bulbs and while looking around, found that I have a pair laying around from the last time I changed the bulbs, duh! All this weather had me worried as it was difficult to see. Lost a bit of common sense there. Thanks again!

• 4 years later...
Okay. Please tell me I don't have to align the lows after a simple bulb swap. Freind got me some silverstar ultras and they are crap beyond 10 feet in front of the car. Tonight, my wife had a blowout and I went to help her thinking, boy, I've got some serious candles now! Wrong. The phillips(H7 55W) that were in there before sucked, but they were better than these. Is it the bulbs(H7 55W)? Alignment? Is there some burn in time? And what the hell kind of measurements are in the manual diagram? .83 inches? What?

Okay. I had to put on my reading glasses, but I see now how the flat side of the bulb base has to fit into the bowl. It's crazy that the difference is so small that the clip works either way, but it does. Thanks to those who went before me. This is all pending nightfall when I can actually test them.

It depends what year you have. I have an '08 and have been running silverstars for quite a while. If your car is pre-08 your DRLs are the low beams which kills your silverstars unless you disconnect your DRLs. In the '08, they went to the highs so that the ydon't burn out as quickly.
It's cool; I'm with the band

My 05 (purchased in 04) had one headlight go out and replaced under warranty after 2 years, and the second headlight just went out a couple months ago. I've heard debates over disconnecting the DRLs, but in the discussions I also hear stories about people starting the car with the headlights in the "on" position. That surge is probably a sure killer of bulbs. I always start with the handbrake set and everything turned off.

• 5 years later...
Okay. I had to put on my reading glasses, but I see now how the flat side of the bulb base has to fit into the bowl. It's crazy that the difference is so small that the clip works either way, but it does. Thanks to those who went before me. This is all pending nightfall when I can actually test them.

Thank you for posting this. I thought my low beam bulbs were dangerously weak & needed to be replaced. Thanks to this post, and a youtube video that mentioned the little tab on the base of the bulb, I was able to figure out that the last person to replace the H7s didn't get them seated properly. As soon as I fixed that the light level coming from the low beams miraculously improved.

Of course, I did all of this AFTER buying new bulbs. :mad:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived