LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy i auto squealing noise

Just in the last week or so I'm getting a squealing noise from up front...(base) 2005 Legacy i automatic, 118k miles.

My local independent shop looked at it said it was not a wheel bearing & they don't do transmission work.

Local transmission shop my mechanic recommends was closed all last week for the holiday.

It does vary with speed, is intermittent (sometimes abruptly stops before starting up again), & does change with gear changes.

Still shifts just fine...no slipping or hesitation.

In others' experience does it sound like a transmission issue or something with the transfer case?

I do want to keep it several more years...so what's recommended...used transmission if needed, or rebuild the original?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Edited by ncbill

No squealing until actually being driven...nothing while in park.

It's parked somewhere else so I haven't checked the fluid yet...again, no hesitation or slipping while being driven.

Right now I have an appointment with a recommended local transmission shop in a week.

Assuming it is that what are the typical costs for rebuild/replacement of a 4EAT (phase/revision 2)?

Fluid checked...level top of range (checked hot), reddish-brown, last changed 2 years ago when the transmission control solenoid was replaced with a Rostra one.

Still get the squealing sounds if shifted into neutral & allowed to coast.

Already had the local mechanic check the wheel bearings, since the sound is not consistent with speed he didn't think it was a wheel bearing issue...did get a new axle out of that (torn CV boot)

No hesitation or slipping on gear changes.

Any other thoughts?

Does the front differential share fluid with the transmission on 4EAT’s? I should know this since I have one, but haven’t done the fluids in a long while.

I’m pretty sure they do not, so perhaps checking the level/colour of the gear oil. Look for glitter if something went *really* wrong?

if there *is* something wrong, I would imagine a junkyard trans would be easier/cheaper than a rebuild. These are actually relatively stout transmissions, and the failure rate on them is pretty low from what I can gather. Plenty lots of them in pick n pull yards these days, for probably like a couple hundred?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Does the front differential share fluid with the transmission on 4EAT’s? I should know this since I have one, but haven’t done the fluids in a long while.

I’m pretty sure they do not, so perhaps checking the level/colour of the gear oil. Look for glitter if something went *really* wrong?

if there *is* something wrong, I would imagine a junkyard trans would be easier/cheaper than a rebuild. These are actually relatively stout transmissions, and the failure rate on them is pretty low from what I can gather. Plenty lots of them in pick n pull yards these days, for probably like a couple hundred?

car-part.com has some not too far away...the ones with under 100k miles are around $1200.

Don't know how far you are from it, or how much you feel like pulling your own stuff. Trans is a bit of a job, but there could be one in Charlotte?

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/parts/charlotte-1228/?year=2005&make=SUBARU&model=OUTBACK

Phase 1 4EAT. Looks like they come in around $400 with a 60 day warranty?

Just a thought. Don't know if they're willing to take a look in the yard for you and talk about mileage and what is still in the car, but some places will.

18 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

The 4EAT and front diff do not share the same fluid. Two separate fluid chambers there. 

Yeah, that was really early in the morning, and I hadn't had a coffee yet. 🙄

I don't imagine diff gears would be terribly happy just being lubricated by ATF....

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Yeah, that was really early in the morning, and I hadn't had a coffee yet. 🙄

I don't imagine diff gears would be terribly happy just being lubricated by ATF....

You already knew the answer. You just need a little extra push towards confirmation 😉

Edited by Febreze Mee

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Stumped the local go-to transmission guy for awhile...said he had never heard a sound like that before.

But it wasn't the transmission...a clue was it made the same sounds coasting downhill in neutral.

It turned out to be a bad (rough) bearing in the driveshaft...is it exposed to the weather?

New driveshaft ~$700 installed...hopefully ready sometime today.

Edited by ncbill
  • Like 1

Glad you figured it out.

Was is the carrier bearing or a u-joint? Doesn’t matter much at this point, but they’re all exposed to the elements, and the driveshaft Itself is considered a replacement part wear item, as the u-joints are hard to replace with new units, and the carrier bearing is not replaceable at all that I know of.

When I replaced mine with an aftermarket part, it lasted like 2 weeks and blew up on the highway. Thankfully I was able to pull it out and get off the road… oe junkyard propshaft is 2 years and still going strong.