LegacyGT.com

Oil Leaks.. Need help identifying.

So, I'm wondering what leak I'm looking at here? Dreaded head gasket? Cam seal? Valve cover gasket? I'm thinking there's an oil pan leak as well.
Head gaskets are original btw, and I'm not 100% sure on them as I've always had bubbling issues in the coolant. No major smoke. yet... But I also did the crank pulley seal recently, when I did the clutch. There's what seems like oil coming out of it. If it's the head gasket, I'd consider doing it myself. Anyone have any thoughts?

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

Edited by Jolbaru_LGT

Valve cover bolts are small and fragile.  So are the oil pan bolts.  Torque is very low.   I would not re-tighten, risk of breaking a bolt is high.  Oil pan is sealed by "Subiebond" not a gasket and the bolts just hold the pan there while the sealant cures.  Valve covers are "o-rings".  Rubber gaskets seated into grooves.  If it is leaking it needs to be removed and replaced.  Nature of the beast.  Dont forget the cam "half moons" when replacing the valve cover gaskets. 

• Like 1

torque spec on oil pan and valve cover bolts are like 5-7nm.  basically hand tight and another 1/8th turn.  IMHO neither of those are worth addressing right now.  What I would be concerned about is all the coolant residue on the timing cover and lower radiator hose... if you have bubbling happening in your reservoir then you have internal head gasket failure.

• Like 1

So, I snugged up the bolts, I'm not sure if that'll fix anything or not? I also found a coolant leak, this hose right under the TMIC. I'm not sure what this little hose is, but I remember "fixing" it a while back with a run to NAPA. Which was a mistake. They gave me the right hose, but the clamps they gave me were worm gear. SAE too, unfortunately. Which I wasn't thrilled about, but I needed it done, as it blew old the hose and I was dead in the water. Anyways, that little clamp came loose, as I thought it would, as I don't have my assortment of spring clamps here either. So, maybe that's why there was coolant near that oil leak? It just dripped down.

Anyways, time to search out the right part for that hose and clamp, from the dealership or at least get another spring clamp assortment, and match the hose again. I wouldn't be so upset, but I hate taking off the TMIC every time for that, and coolant always pours out, and I've gotta burp it again too. SMH.

IMG_1254.jpg

Edited by Jolbaru_LGT

25 minutes ago, silverton said:

torque spec on oil pan and valve cover bolts are like 5-7nm.  basically hand tight and another 1/8th turn.  IMHO neither of those are worth addressing right now.  What I would be concerned about is all the coolant residue on the timing cover and lower radiator hose... if you have bubbling happening in your reservoir then you have internal head gasket failure.

The bubbling is usually large bubbles I get in the reservoir after a long trip or "sending it."😂 It's always been like that since Ive got the car, and it's been like that for 5 years/50,000 miles. I've been down the does-it-have-a-head-gasket-leak road before, and I'll keep going back and forth between thinking it does/doesn't have it.

Edited by Jolbaru_LGT
  • Like 1

Just asking, have you replaced the radiator caps yet ?  I found that helped the small bubbling in the overflow tank.

I'm old school and always use/used screw type hose clamps over anything else. Just buy good name brand clamps.

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

3 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

Just asking, have you replaced the radiator caps yet ?  I found that helped the small bubbling in the overflow tank.

I'm old school and always use/used screw type hose clamps over anything else. Just buy good name brand clamps.

Well, I’ll have to check my Excel maintenance file, but I’m pretty sure I’ve replaced both caps within the last year/5-10k miles. With OEM, btw.

I didn’t know there are name brand clamps. You’re saying the generic NAPA ones are no bueno? I believe that…