LegacyGT.com

Question for GT owners with Polarized sunglasses

I use them all the time - even well into the evening. I have problems with light sensitivity and the polarized are great. No problems in the car at all. On the 'el cheapo' route - if you try them and they bother you, yes, get better quality. But I started on the Oakley route, and replaced them (when they were lost - otherwise they were great) with the $10-15 brands and they've been much, much better. Not the quality per se, but I don't worry about loosing them as much as I did the Oakleys. I get 3-4 different pairs at any given time. If they break, who cares, it was $10....

As for the blue blockers someone mentioned - stay away! They may look cool, and looking through them might be nice, but they actually let in more light since they don't really block, just color. That's tends to be the case with many different colored shades.

Thankfully Subie engineers thought of this, and put that button by the clock etc. that boosts the gauge brightness to maximum daytime levels. Problem solved!

Actually I understand they got rid of it in the 06.... have to turn the intensity to full. Not positive, but I seem to remember reading that.

I'm looking at new polarized sunglasses myself. I've had the same pair of sunglasses for about 7 years now and they're wearing out. I paid $120 for them and only used them in my cars. I always had a designated place to put them so they don't get sat on, so now I'm thinking of getting some Maui Jims, glad to see they come highly recommended.

I have polarized Revos and Rudy Projects and both are great with the LGT. No complaints at all.

Having expensive sunglasses is just like having an expensive anything. You just need to get used to taking care of them. I started with my first pair of Ray Bans in middle school.

See who needs Navi or redesigned door beams when you have a "Maximum brightness" button!!? hehe :icon_tong

...ok yes I admit it...I'm just a bitter 05 LGT owner...:icon_evil

Now if only someone would invent a gap pump screen that does't look totally blank with polarized glasses on, then I'll be happy...

I have a couple of pairs of Oakley RX. One pair of yellow lens twenties, and a pair of frameless Why8.1 frames with dark gray polarized lenses.

I have a pretty strong prescription, and have trouble with contact lenses, so I wear glasses pretty much every waking moment. in that circumstance, having proper sunglasses gets important. I have lost a pair, and yes, it does suck very much. It is a nice way to spend end-of-the-year medical flex money, before they take it away.

my perscription is strong enough that the curvature actually screwed with the angle of the bows on the frameless glasses, and they are almost too tight on my temples, even though non-rx versions fit fine. the twenties fit perfectly, and block out wind when I have the face-sheild cracked open on my motorcycle helmet. (they will actually block wind and prevent eye watering at full speed with the visor completely open, which is a good fit.)

One weird thing I get with my polarized pair, is a weird green-to-purple color distortion when looking at glossy surfaces, or just about anything through the tinted windows in my truck. it is a bit weird at first, but I have grown to ignore it. Through regular glass, and some other tints, it doesn't occur.

I think the curvature of the lenses, and the anti-glare effects of the polarizers do weird things to any light coming in from even slightly off-axis.

I am hoping that they won't screw with viewing the LGT gauges, when I get my LGT... Otherwise I will just have to keep them solely in the Miata, and wear only the yellow lenses in the LGT, or spend some more medical flex account money next year...

If you can't see a LCD screen simply tilt your head to the side momentarily and things will clear up enough to make out details.

Exactly.

I find it funny that the problem with gas pumps could be solved by having the display rotated 90 degrees (more or less).

you guys are idiots paying $150 - $300+ on a damn pair of sunglasses...

am I right???

My god...sit on them, and kiss that cash goodbye....

Whats wrong with Walmart sunglasses? I mean, $15 and excellent quality. In fact, they are problaby the same as the $150 ones, just no brand name...

Everythings made in goddamn China anyways....

If you hav the money to burn, why not! Walmart? I dont go to there....ever....

tHe HoV

am I right???

Whats wrong with Walmart sunglasses? I mean, $15 and excellent quality. In fact, they are problaby the same as the $150 ones, just no brand name...

:lol: I have a pair of $150 Serengeti's and a similar pair of polarized Bollé's. What do I wear every day? The $10 pair I bought at Busch Gardens back in '02 when I lost my Oakley's dodging the waterfall on the Roman Rapids ride. :icon_neut I have dropped them, scratched them, even stepped on them....can't kill them. :icon_evil

am I right???

How sure are you that you get the same level of UV protection from those $15 sunglasses. Can you truly depend on those stickers saying "100% UV Protection" from a no-name brand? I won't.

I am no eye doctor but I think that when there is less light, some part of our eye opens up to let more light in. Now if you do not have UV protection those UV rays can damage your eyes. I think $200 for a pair of quality sunglasses is reasonable. Anyway it is not like you buy one every month.

If you can't see a LCD screen simply tilt your head to the side momentarily and things will clear up enough to make out details.

Yeah, LCD screens seen at certain angles will black things out with polarized sunglasses. But I haven't had trouble in the LGT so far :)

Archived