LegacyGT.com

GOTO:Racing's new race car for 2006: The Legacy GT

GOTORacing

I hope you don't have to use the stock tires too! j/k :icon_bigg

It doesn't look like it's dropped any from you pics. Also, do you disable the ABS? You'll have to tell us how it does on the track!

I like how you've done the interior. Maybe you should make the exterior a little more menacing. :)

Interesting comment on the exterior. Actually we were trying not to confuse the natural body lines of the car so we could let the "legacyness" speak for itself, but I think that once it gets it's race vinyl, it will look a little meaner.

It doesn't look lowered because the suspension has not been installed yet. We can do that in our sleep, so we were saving it for last.

It has not been decided if we are going to run with or without ABS. both have advanages.

We have wheels and tires for it already, just not in that pic. No sense banging up your nice wheels in the shop. GA Cup has a spec hoosier tire, and ROTA is providing our wheels.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting comment on the exterior. Actually we were trying not to confuse the natural body lines of the car so we could let the "legacyness" speak for itself, but I think that once it gets it's race vinyl, it will look a little meaner.
It'll look perfect with some nice sized "LegacyGT.com" vinyl logos on it. :icon_mrgr

We plan to be testing at the beginning of next year. If there are no bugs to sort out and the car seems fast out of the box, we may try to hit the Daytona race.

But to clarify, this car is classed into ST. It won't be part of the 24 hour event, but the 200 mile Cup race the day before. There is a 12 hour event at VIR in september that may become a 24 hour event, and that is definately on our hit list :).

I'll also be down there for a NASA event, but I see the Rolex 3-day weekend event which I will try to attend.. VIR is a nice place to race and hang out for the weekend

Keefe

I hope you don't have to use the stock tires too! j/k :icon_bigg

It doesn't look like it's dropped any from you pics. Also, do you disable the ABS? You'll have to tell us how it does on the track!

I like how you've done the interior. Maybe you should make the exterior a little more menacing. :)

Yea, I am sure it is disabled..

Chris is running 50mm DMS coilovers

I am sure Chris will have plenty of vinyl work once he is done.. I remember the STi he ran had plenty ;)

Keefe

It has not been decided if we are going to run with or without ABS. both have advantages.

We have wheels and tires for it already, just not in that pic. No sense banging up your nice wheels in the shop. GA Cup has a spec hoosier tire, and ROTA is providing our wheels.

Which wheel?

I am sure you'll be happy with the ABS off if you are running spec Hoosiers.. does the rules say anything about swapping out diffs since the car already comes with them? I dont remember

Keefe

Yes diffs are open and we are going to be using KAAZ front and rear. The ROTA we wil be using is the 17x8.5 Slipstream. We have been racing with the Slip for 3 years now and really love there strength.

As of right now we are leaning towards leaving the ABS on. The reason being we are 200 pounds heavier than any other car in ST and 500 lbs heavier than some. Keeping up with them in the braking zones will be tough, and with the ABS on we can avoid flat spotting tires in a three hour race.

what are the specs on your DMS 50mm? are you going with a stiff-front bias setup or did you guys redo the brakes to a driver bias system (at least that's what I think I saw in one of your pics?)

What kind of specs are you looking for? I have some dyno sheets on the dampers, and some spring rate graphs on the progresive springs. If this is what you want to see, let me know and I will post them up.

So the stiff front bias setup you are refering to is to the brakes, not the springs right? it was a little confusing because you asked about DMS in the same sentence. But yes, right now we have driver controled bias to the rear brakes.

And I quick clarification. It was my little brother BRIAN Lock that drove the WRX so succesfully last year. This year I will be his Grandam co-driver, and hopefully his teammate in a second USTCC car(funding willing).

Chris Lock

yes, definitely, I wasn't aware you went with progressive springs, but then again, I dont think you want just the off-the-shelf DMS stuff either ;)

I asked about the front stiff bias because I thought you were using linear springs instead of progressive.

Ah, my mistake, similar Locks, just not the same ;) got it.

Keefe

I am also intrested in the approximate springrates you are using. As when my current coilovers need rebuilding I am strongly considering a DMS setup.

We are actually not set on our spring rates yet. We are bringing a few options to our first test day next weekend, I can let you know what we decide on. I will also let Hotchkis know that you are interested in some sway bars. The street kit is still in the developmental stage I believe.

Xenonk. here are some graphs of our dampers and some of the springs we have tested for the DMS 50mm road race progressive setup. Have fun!

http://www.gotoracing.com/images/Hondagraph1.jpg

http://www.gotoracing.com/images/Hondagraph2.jpg

http://www.gotoracing.com/images/dmsspringtest.bmp

Chris Lock

We are actually not set on our spring rates yet. We are bringing a few options to our first test day next weekend, I can let you know what we decide on. I will also let Hotchkis know that you are interested in some sway bars. The street kit is still in the developmental stage I believe.

I appreciate it... Tell them to take thier time to get it right. I appreciate the time and effort hotchkis, DMS and teams like yours put into actually tuning thier suspension setups and sharing the facts with the community. It really helps that you guys have hard numbers to share with us. Trying to get hard numbers for suspension components is difficult at best. It takes the guesswork out of getting our cars right.

I appreciate it... Tell them to take thier time to get it right. I appreciate the time and effort hotchkis, DMS and teams like yours put into actually tuning thier suspension setups and sharing the facts with the community. It really helps that you guys have hard numbers to share with us. Trying to get hard numbers for suspension components is difficult at best. It takes the guesswork out of getting our cars right.

This is why we race Subarus instead of taking the easy path and just buying a BMW, porsche, or other well developed platform. We like forging new territory, and we know it has a big impact people who love Subarus like us. Thanks for the kind words. This kind of thing keeps us going :).

Chris Lock

thanks for the info, looks real linear for the setup (I like it a lot).. am I reading that right that you tested the DMS with a set of Eibach Race Springs at 750 lbs? That's the range that I will be using once I get my Zeals revalved (14kg/12kg).

I think anywhere around the 650 to 750 lbs range the car would be fun as hell to drive.. I know right now with the Zeals mated at 8kg/6kg, I dont think I can run away from the BMWs in your league (and that's using a set of Pirelli PZeros.. of course, you are competing with Spec Hoosiers which I never drove on)..

but let us know what you actually end up with in terms of the valve settings and the springs/spring rates you are going with.. I opted to plant this car as low as it can go with the suspension traveled allows (not exactly a low CG car). Currently my GT is raked as well about a good 1/2" difference.. Just let us know how far you come with and I would LOVE to see your car in action, so any in-car video during even the practice sessions would help us understand your world of racing soo much better!

GOOD LUCK and looking forward to seeing you at VIR sometime

Keefe

thanks for the info, looks real linear for the setup (I like it a lot).. am I reading that right that you tested the DMS with a set of Eibach Race Springs at 750 lbs? That's the range that I will be using once I get my Zeals revalved (14kg/12kg).

Actually no. They were not tested with linear rate springs. Those charts are just two F/V charts on the dampers, and then a graph of the springs in a spring tester. totally independent information. The linear rate springs on the graph are there as reference only, so that one might compare the rates of a DMS progressive rate to them. We have no intention of testing a linear spring on this car(sorry :) ), they are simply not appropriate for the shocks.

Chris Lock

aahh! I know its for the best.. but pictures of someone mutilating a perfectly good LGT burns my eyes!!

I'm glad however that the legacy is going to be focused on, hopefully as popularity increases that means more parts for us :icon_bigg

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

aahh! I know its for the best.. but pictures of someone mutilating a perfectly good LGT burns my eyes!!

Mutilate? Mutilate? I like the word "transform". Cars are happiest when driven. I gaurantee you our car is sceaming "yes! YES! No commuting for me!" :)

Chris Lock

well, any time a teardown takes place it just looks like a tradgedy, I saw from the buildup pics tho (after the forum randomly crashed) that its coming back together nicely.. and besides this is for the best, its just hard to look at your baby on the operating table ya know? lol
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Actually no. They were not tested with linear rate springs. Those charts are just two F/V charts on the dampers, and then a graph of the springs in a spring tester. totally independent information. The linear rate springs on the graph are there as reference only, so that one might compare the rates of a DMS progressive rate to them. We have no intention of testing a linear spring on this car(sorry :) ), they are simply not appropriate for the shocks.

Chris Lock

That I do know that your graphs were strictly for the shocks and springs.

For a minute there I thought you picked out 4 or 5 springs to work with.. it helped that you clarified that you just wanted to show the progressive spring plotting compared to the linear rates, I thought for a minute there that you picked up several sets of springs that you may end up testing with the DMS shocks.

Could you give me some feedback as to why you wouldn't run linear springs on this shock? Is it the fact that there would be too much initial force coming from the rebound of the shock at high velocity? Kind of the saying "adding insult to injury" when you hit a nasty part of a pavement?

Keefe

Mutilate? Mutilate? I like the word "transform". Cars are happiest when driven. I gaurantee you our car is sceaming "yes! YES! No commuting for me!" :)

Chris Lock

all cars should be "upgraded" to racing specs and status.. it's the way to go.. last thing I want is a motor home...

Keefe

well, any time a teardown takes place it just looks like a tradgedy, I saw from the buildup pics tho (after the forum randomly crashed) that its coming back together nicely.. and besides this is for the best, its just hard to look at your baby on the operating table ya know? lol

nah, it's never much of a tragedy.. kinda like going to the orthodontist to get braces or to some, women that go in and get breast augmentation (smaller/bigger, whatever)..

if the car is going to "be an athlete" on the track, it better go on a diet and get some really nice shoes and the works..

if anything that really hurts, it would be the wallet or the bank account.. don't ever look at that bank statement/bill directly, you'll have a heart attack.

Keefe

Archived