LegacyGT.com

SPEC-B with PINKS installed REVIEW.....OMG !!

RaceComp Engineering

I have info that says otherwise, but I mind you thinking I am wrong. Having had both in my hands and on the press, I feel differently.So for what ever its worth...

I have had all of them apart and in my hands with an audience of us shaking our heads. Having tried all of these I have my opinions. Having talked to my supplier in Japan, I have learned alot also. So again,....I feel ya,....you are right...for what ever its worth.

Myles

Sorry, I have difficulty understanding what are you saying, man.

I tend to believe the guy who sold me the take-offs knows what car he got, i.e JDM 2.0GT non-Spec B. In my original thread I posted a link to the auction I got the Bilsteins and the auction also says 2.0GT. Of course there some remote possibility, the seller is not really the owner, or somehow is wrong about what car he got?

I guess you are saying that 2006 USDM SpecB Bilsteins are the same as JDM SpecB Bilsteins. Which revision then? I think the question is USDM SpecB like JDM SpecB or JDM GT is an important one. Although :iam:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the question has been asked many times in here but after 102 posts I never saw an answer, so here goes again:

Will the Spec.B pinks fit on stock USDM GT Struts and will the STi pinks fit on the USDM Spec.B? I want the STi pinks, but have access to the Spec.B pinks right now. If they do fit either model, what's the difference in them then? Is it just the original car they were manufactured for? :iam: Please help!!! :D TIA!!!

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

So the question has been asked many times in here but after 102 posts I never saw an answer, so here goes again:

Will the Spec.B pinks fit on stock USDM GT Struts and will the STi pinks fit on the USDM Spec.B? I want the STi pinks, but have access to the Spec.B pinks right now. If they do fit either model, what's the difference in them then? Is it just the original car they were manufactured for? :iam: Please help!!! :D TIA!!!

All pinks fit all struts. The question how well matched they are.

SpecB STI Pinks are stiffer than GT Pinks. I believe (99.9% sure) that USDM SpecB struts/shocks = JDM GT Rev.C struts/shocks. So proper match for USDM SpecB struts/shocks are GT Pinks, not SpecB Pinks. It does not mean SpecB ones won't work or do much harm to your suspension.

I see... a bit softer ride vs. a bit stiffer ride. So spec.B pinks will fit fine on the normal GT struts but they're stiffer then normal STi pinks. Nothing more, nothing less (at least 99.9% sure that is. ;)) Thanks for the info man! :D I'm just trying to decide what would work better for nicer handling and yet still a smooth overall ride. Like I said, I have access to some spec.B pinks but maybe I should wait to find a slightly used set of STi pinks for cheap... hmmm... decisions!!! :)
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I see... a bit softer ride vs. a bit stiffer ride. Nothing more, nothing less (at least 99.9% sure that is. ;)) Thanks for the info man! :D I'm just trying to decide what would work better for nicer handling and yet still a smooth overall ride. Like I said, I have access to some spec.B pinks but maybe I should wait to find a slightly used set of STi pinks for cheap... hmmm... decisions!!! :)

No prob. To straighten the nomenclature - ALL PINKS are STI by definiton. You have GT Pinks and SpecB Pinks (plus auto/manual/wagon variations). Overall there are dix diff. part numbers, 3 for fronts, 3 for rears (this info is somewhere here).

Ok, so why would AT vs MT make a difference? I could understand wagon vs sedan but according to that list it doesn't make a diff on fronts but on rears, but how does the transmission affect springs then only in fronts??? :confused:

<---- noob to springs... :)

• 3 weeks later...

This past weekend I had the STi SpecB pinks installed, along with the STi pitch and trans mounts. So far, these mods kick rear.

I don't have pics, yet, but the ride height is lowered just a little... actually a bit more in the back than I expected, but there are no problems.

The ride is still quite comfortable, while much of the squat, dive, and roll are lessened. I was expecting a stiffer ride, but it's quite smooth still. It's difficult to describe, but the ride quality has improved.

Thumbs up to RaceComp / GTWorx for the springs and to Xotic Motorsports for the install.

EDIT: Looking at the pic on the first page of this thread once more, I'd say the ride height of my car is spot on with the one in the pic. Sometimes, photos are deceiving.

EDIT#2: After driving to work this morning, I'm diggin' these springs even more. On the highway, the suspension now feels more supple, yet more controlled. In the twisties, grip and steady-state cornering feel much better (partially due to additional negative camber in the front). I honestly believe Myles' review was right on... The stock springs were too soft, so the dampers were doing too much work. As a result, you could feel small bumps on the highway a bit more. Now, it feels smoother.

BTW... If anyone in the SE PA area wants to see how these springs ride before buying, send me a PM and we can meet up someplace.

• 1 month later...

I verified via Japanparts.com that USDM SpecB Bilsteins are in fact JDM GT Bilsteins. JDM SpecB Bilsteins have different part numbers. Here is all the info:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=823421, post #32.

Therefore it would be more "correct" for USDM SpecB owners to get JDM GT Pinks, not JDM SpecB Pinks. Now, I don't know if it really matters, but given dramatic difference in damping between JDM GT and JDM SpecB Bilsteins, I guess it does. I have experience with both sets of dampers - Rev. C JDM GT and Rev.B JDM SpecB, the latter right now on my car.

I verified via Japanparts.com that USDM SpecB Bilsteins are in fact JDM GT Bilsteins. JDM SpecB Bilsteins have different part numbers. Here is all the info:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=823421, post #32.

Therefore it would be more "correct" for USDM SpecB owners to get JDM GT Pinks, not JDM SpecB Pinks. Now, I don't know if it really matters, but given dramatic difference in dampening between JDM GT and JDM SpecB Bilsteins, I guess it does. I have experience with both sets of dampers - Rev. C JDM GT and Rev.B JDM SpecB, the latter right now on my car.

So which combination is stiffer... the JDM GT pinks/Bilsteins or the JDM specB pinks/Bilsteins?

unclemat -- IIRC, you currently have the JDM specB pinks/Bilsteins, correct? The specB pinks aren't all that much stiffer than the USDM specB springs.

Frankly, I can't compare stiffness as I was running stock JDM springs on the JDM GT Bilsteins and I am runinng the JDM SpecB Bilsteins with SpecB Pinks. No question, the SpecB set is much stiffer IMO.

Damping is certainly more aggressive, also. I have a few nice bumps on my commute - I remember how much the car was going up and down on the stock suckers. On JDM GT the osciallation was pretty much gone. JDM SpecB seem so aggressive, that the car feels a bit like jumping over the bumps.

To be able to really compare them I should put stock JDM SpecB springs and/or GT Pinks on appropriate set. In fact I have these springs, so it's just matter of finding time and energy to do it. I think I am fairly happy with the current setup (just put some highway miles over the weekend), except the perceived sag in the back with pinks.

The specB pinks aren't all that much stiffer than the USDM specB springs.

From my experience I would say this is certainly not true (EDIT:this is subjective). With JDM Spec B pinks on USDM Spec B Bilsteins, dive, squat, are dramatically reduced plus ability to deal with rapid changes in direction is much better. A negative effect is that over moderate bumps the stiffness is enough to give the sensation of leaving your seat.

I really want to find an OEM spring that is in between stock USDM Spec B and JDM Spec B pinks. I know unclemat is saying the GT STI Pink springs are the correct match but I believe I read that Gruppe-S said that all the pinks have the same stiffness but are different lengths (correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm not sure how that would give a different ride quality. My hopes is that the USDM 07 Spec B spring is slightly stiffer on the same 06 Bilstein and I will go with that.

Aldo, JDM SpecB springs might be the ticket for you - I guess.

Btw, I know Rev C JDM GT springs are different than 2006 USDM SpecB springs - and these ride on exactly the same dampers. What are the differences - who knows. Certainly JDM GT springs are soft (and long) enough to allow for substatial bodyroll.

which is stiffer? what does that matter? spring stiffness vs. damping stiffness are two diff. things.

Yes, it does matter, and I do know that there is a difference. I was referring to the entire spring/damper combo. I suppose I phrased my question the wrong way.

It appears the JDM specB combo might be good for what I want, since I already have the JDM specB pinks that I ordered from GTworx.com. If this works out, then they ought to recommend the entire set as an upgrade and not just the springs.

From my experience I would say this is certainly not true (EDIT:this is subjective). With JDM Spec B pinks on USDM Spec B Bilsteins, dive, squat, are dramatically reduced plus ability to deal with rapid changes in direction is much better. A negative effect is that over moderate bumps the stiffness is enough to give the sensation of leaving your seat.

Perhaps you're correct. I hadn't looked at that way. The specB pinks may be stiff enough, but it feels like they're not because the USDM specB Bilsteins cannot control the springs very well.

I've read the entire thread and am wondering if anyone has tried USDM spec B struts with Pink GT's. I'm wondering if that might be the closest to getting a 2.0 GT feel but improved with the Pink GT's (without going all the way to JDM spec b in both the dampners and springs).

I had thought JDM GT's would be the way to go, but after reading unclemat "Certainly JDM GT springs are soft (and long) enough to allow for substatial bodyroll.", I'm thinking a little more aggressive spring rates may be required.

If I put USDM spec B Bilstein's and Pink GT's on my MT wagon, will I loose more ride height in the rear? I'm hoping to maintain my cargo carrying ability

There are people running JDM GT Bilsteins (probably the original version) and GT Pinks and are very happy with the combo.

If you get wagon specific Pinks you should be okay on your wagon. But the rear, will look somewhat slammed under load.

Hey Paul, these pics show the suspension has aluminum components...the rear upper arms I just ordered are steel....get this guys VIN if you want to fine tune it like Spec B...confirm that his rear control arms are aluminum.

Thanks

Armand

Paul Singer wrote:

Archived