LegacyGT.com

SPEC-B with PINKS installed REVIEW.....OMG !!

RaceComp Engineering

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe I'm missing what it is that you did, but didn't you replace suspension parts with pieces that I could buy for my car? What was the point in paying the extra for the SpecB if the suspension wasn't good enough? You could have just bought an LGT and upgraded that with the money saved, couldn't you? I'm not trying to be a punk or argue, i'm just trying to understand.

I agree. I would love to compare your car to a 'regular' LGT with the same suspension. In theory they should be the same, no? I don't know if the aluminum suspension pieces in the spec B are light enough to make a noticeable difference. (from what I understand, they're not significantly lighter)

Off topic but compare sticker price of a specB and GT, factor out the price of the suspension, nav, and all of the other little bits and it is really a pretty good deal. You are paying for more than a fancy title and well worth it in my opinion.

Sorry Myles, back on topic-

The problem with your reasoning here is that you can get a GT Lim for under invoice, whereas you'd be lucky to get a spec B for sticker. That's a lot for some red seats, special color paint, nav, and rims/suspension. Not that I don't like the car, but I feel like it didn't go far enough. I guess I wanted an STi.

I'm glad the suspension setup is nice, Myles. Your wife has a nice ride, and you're lucky she's into Subies.

BTW, it's not bone jarring and teeth rattling over potholes? I'm interested in a similar setup vs just swapping the springs.

tom

tom :)

Nice review Myles. I might pick up a Spec.B in a few weeks (because I can afford to). :icon_tong

-Mike-

Actually, most of us probably can (and some of us much more!) Subaru owners are interesting because they CAN buy more expensive cars but CHOOSE instead to buy Subies. :)

I do agree it was a nice review, though (as usual) ;)

tom

tom :)

I guess I don't understand why one would pay a premium for a car that is basically the same as mine but with better suspension and then take off the parts that make it what it is only to replace them with parts they could have still bought if they had the base model LGT.

There's a subtle difference of what the Spec. B has.. it could be a lot of little things that added up to this point that makes a difference. In any case, most of us knew the Spec B has these little differences that the GT doesnt have.. (and we can go on and on about these parts that add up to the premium price).

As a final result, we all make the final decision of what we want our car to do.. for those 555 people are lucky enough to get those little extras and want just that one little bit of "umph" out of the car, they will do so. Sure, they could have saved money and bought a GT, add the parts that makes it work, but it's still not a Spec B (and to some of us, we feel it's better than a Spec B).. it's a "to each their own" thing.

Nevertheless, the point is this, even the US Spec B isn't a TRUE Spec B until it has STi Spec B springs ;)

Keefe

Nevertheless, the point is this, even the US Spec B isn't a TRUE Spec B until it has STi Spec B springs ;)

So, a JDM Spec B with std. springs isn't a 'true' Spec B until it gets STi pinks? :icon_ques How do you work that logic out?

I want a ride!!!

I already have the pink springs that I got from you...can I just get the bilstien struts or do I have to get the whole new shabang (STi Spec.B Springs and Spec.B Bilstien struts). Does Bilstien have an adjustable strut combo too??? AND MOST IMPORTANT- How Much???

Thanks,

CRAZY KEN

And myles...you can drive my car with Cobb's AP stage II 93 oct. v1.15, Uppipe, Downpipe, custom catback with 1 resonator and no mufflers and their pulley too!!!;)

You could use your regular pinks and just get the Bilsteins.

Which brings me to my latest findings( speculation).

Seeing our old cr next to the new car, I think, the spec-B pinks dont lower the car as much. I think they are a REAL 15mm drop.

Myles

So, a JDM Spec B with std. springs isn't a 'true' Spec B until it gets STi pinks? :icon_ques How do you work that logic out?

I dont know about that one. I wonder if in Japan there is an STi option..I dont know. I know PAUL HANSEN would know. Perhaps someone could invite him into this thead. lol. Paul is the man on this type stuff.

Myles

I dont know about that one. I wonder if in Japan there is an STi option..I dont know. I know PAUL HANSEN would know. Perhaps someone could invite him into this thead. lol. Paul is the man on this type stuff.

Myles

Paul and I traded many PM's about stuff before I bought my Bilsteins. ;) You can buy the pinks as a dealer option, but Spec B's are sold with the same springs I run now (which I think are lot stiffer than USDM Spec B, since I have Rev. A). The limited 'Legacy by STi' version of the Spec B does have the pinks from the factory, along with almost everything out of the STi catalog (save the Brembo's).

Perhaps I should drive up your way this week and we can compare. :icon_ques

:icon_bigg

I have got to come up and get a ride. I am really curious to compare this to the pinks and rev.A spec B bilsteins I have on my car.

just let me know. Now the problem is i have to literally get up about and hour earlier than the wife and get out of the house first..............of I'll never see it.

So just let me know when you are ready.

Myles

Paul and I traded many PM's about stuff before I bought my Bilsteins. ;) You can buy the pinks as a dealer option, but Spec B's are sold with the same springs I run now (which I think are lot stiffer than USDM Spec B, since I have Rev. A). The limited 'Legacy by STi' version of the Spec B does have the pinks from the factory, along with almost everything out of the STi catalog (save the Brembo's).

Perhaps I should drive up your way this week and we can compare. :icon_ques

:icon_bigg

Sure , I would be all for it.

LEt me know.

Myles

No thanks. I'm pretty happy with my car the way it is. I'm sure it can get better, but that is the way it is with everything. Nobody here has the best suspension setup in the world. I'm sure whoever does have the best setup on the board can still think of things they would like to do to improve it. I guess I don't understand why one would pay a premium for a car that is basically the same as mine but with better suspension and then take off the parts that make it what it is only to replace them with parts they could have still bought if they had the base model LGT. Maybe I'm missing what it is that you did, but didn't you replace suspension parts with pieces that I could buy for my car? What was the point in paying the extra for the SpecB if the suspension wasn't good enough? You could have just bought an LGT and upgraded that with the money saved, couldn't you? I'm not trying to be a punk or argue, i'm just trying to understand.

guys, the Spec B is in a different league cos not only the suspension is different...the suspension arms (both front and rear) are aluminium (u can see it from the pic above) and they are only 1/3 the weight of their cast iron counterparts... needless to say these aluminium arms are considerably more expensive.. also, the front suspension geometry is slightly different and contributes to better cornering... u really should try e Spec b vs the usual, becos of the lower unsprung weight, the car is more nimble ard corners...at the same time the rear sway bar is 20mm instead of the usual 17mm... the spec B bilsteins are best matched with the Pinks for a linear sporty feel...

at the same time the rear sway bar is 20mm instead of the usual 17mm...

The normal LGT swaybar = 16mm and the Spec B has it (I confirmed for myself on one since nobody who has one seemed to answer that Q when it was asked). In Japan, the rev. A Spec B got the 20mm swaybar. The rev. B Spec B gets a 19mm rear swaybar.

I still feel that SOA sold the USDM Spec B without all the bells and whistles of it's JDM counterpart. I mean, don't you feel a little gipped for not having a Spec B without matching springs STi springs?

Maybe I am treading too deeply on an STi Legacy vs. just a Legacy with "Bilstein" parts on the car. To me, I feel that the Spec B is really falling short of its name...

Keefe

I still feel that SOA sold the USDM Spec B without all the bells and whistles of it's JDM counterpart. I mean, don't you feel a little gipped for not having a Spec B without matching springs STi springs?

Maybe I am treading too deeply on an STi Legacy vs. just a Legacy with "Bilstein" parts on the car. To me, I feel that the Spec B is really falling short of its name...

The JDM car doesn't get the pinks as standard either. It's an option. It's not an STi model, nor does it come with anything from the STi catalog. The WR Limited and Legacy by STi versions take the Spec B and build from there.

Archived