LegacyGT.com

My 09 QSM Legacy GT

Hello!

About a year ago in May we got this LGT sight unseen. This is my first car, first manual car, and first car I have ever worked on.

Was stock when I got it. The previous owner probably had a downpipe on the car before as the turbo heatshield was missing.

What is on the car right now:

ACT HDSS-SB11 clutch and flywheel

Superpro Front lower control arms

Nameless Axleback Exhaust

Koyorad Radiator with Grimmspeed Hoses

Some short throw shifter, I believe its a cobb one

SPT Heatshield

Fresh Conti Extreme Contact DWS06

Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers (7k/6k) in black and blue

I do still have some weird grinding on deceleration in gear. The entire center diff has been rebuilt by a reputable shop. The bearings were all messed up and replaced with new ones from Subaru. It sounds like its drivetrain related but I don't know exactly what is wrong. I have been  driving the car like this for about a year and I have not had any shifting issues yet.

I have a JDM grill on order and it should come in mid September. I am also planning to clear the headlights soon. The pictures are in chronological order. Enjoy! 

editedsubarulegacygt.png

subarulegacywashed.JPG

epiclgt.png

GOPR0051.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you, I am still trying to figure out what in the world the grinding is. But it's always 3k mile oil changes for me!

edit: I was also wondering what I would need to trim in order to get a JDM grill to fit on the USDM bumper flush? Its the honeycomb with the chrome surround. I couldn't seem to find that much detailed info on what needs trimming.

edit 2: I found it 👍

Edited by reallyfunnymoment

My trans has made a soft whirring/grinding noise, on decel especially, and in 5th gear since I’ve owned it. I bet it’s the center diff drive bearings, there are 4 total. They get pitted, but in my case have been for non-threatening for 10yrs. Only one or two passengers have ever commented on it.

I bought the bearing and even an extra trans over the years, but the symptoms never got worse

F9C99193-B33B-477C-9E8E-A26A6C4B09C2.jpeg

Yep, I had two grinding noises on deceleration in gear before my center diff rebuild, which was all new bearings. The sound I have now is a lot less noisy but it still happens in all the gears except 1st. They replaced the 1.63 snap ring, output shaft shim 1.00, the oil seal shifter shaft, the ball bearing, the Roll BRG 22x and the Roll BRG 30x. If I clutch in or put the car in neutral, the noise stops.

edit: I we also had new knuckles and front wheel bearings too. So it is cannot be wheel bearings. The sound also comes directly from the transmission tunnel.

Edited by reallyfunnymoment

• 2 weeks later...

YNANSB....Google and call around for best price.

Send the heads out for a rebuild, ARP studs, Killer B oil pickup or other proven aftermarket, new oil cooler, verify turbo condition or rebuild at this time. New timing kit, water pump and T stat. Misc hoses, belts, etc.

Just break out the wallet. Depending on your time, skill level and work space you can save a bunch of money doing things yourself. I bought my own parts and had a shop do the work. I'm very happy with the results. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, whitexc said:

YNANSB....Google and call around for best price.

Send the heads out for a rebuild, ARP studs, Killer B oil pickup or other proven aftermarket, new oil cooler, verify turbo condition or rebuild at this time. New timing kit, water pump and T stat. Misc hoses, belts, etc.

Just break out the wallet. Depending on your time, skill level and work space you can save a bunch of money doing things yourself. I bought my own parts and had a shop do the work. I'm very happy with the results. Good luck. 

Yeah, I am going to call a few shops that are near me. Would it be best to buy another EJ255 shortblock or upgrade at this time.

The timing belt and water pump are practically brand new as well has the silicone hoses for the radiator and the radiator.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 minute ago, 08Spec_B said:

@reallyfunnymomentUnfortunately, the plastic itself is red on facelift models, not just an insert. Some decent modification can be done to a set of prefacelift and facelifts to combine them into a cleared facelift set but I wouldn't say its easy for the average joe.

Yeah, I just recently found out about this. I wonder if using an acrylic sheet would work or if it is just better to get prefacelift lenses and fit them onto a facelift set of tails.

Just get the proper tail lights and be done with it. That’d be an awful amount of work forming the acrylic. Plus it’d take some polishing to get it really clear. IMHO not worth the effort when there’s a swapping option.
On a more positive note car looks great with spacers and way to go on getting it back on the road!

Swap the whole rear end to pre facelift? I think it’s super easy, direct plug and play with the bumper cover and lights only.

I think the 08-09 looks better personally, and one of those guys will trade you.

2 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

Swap the whole rear end to pre facelift? I think it’s super easy, direct plug and play with the bumper cover and lights only.

I think the 08-09 looks better personally, and one of those guys will trade you.

I was considering swapping a to prefacelift and you are correct about everything working with the car. Only things I would need to buy are bumper brackets which are inexpensive. However, finding a prefacelift rear bumper that is in OK shape and local is either expensive, non existent, or for a wagon.

I think currently, I will stick to my current rear end and limit my spending on this car. The only modifications I am considering is getting a different exhaust or getting a Cusco rear sway-bar.

• 2 months later...