LegacyGT.com

Burn-up body kit

Hey guys I've been eyeing up the burn-up body kit recently and I've been wondering if anyone actually put that kit on their car. I know already I risk losing my foglights since the bumper did not put the cut outs on, I already planned a work around for that. My main question is about the wing. The website says it needs additional drilling but I'm not too sure if it mounts with the factory bolt holes aready or I need to make new ones. I'm one of those guys who tries to do clean installs so I can go back to factory whenever I need to.

Is there any clarification on the install or any similar looking wings that utilize factory mounting holes?

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/?id=18363

Sorry, but I don't think many of us would recommend you spend your money on those kinds of parts, unless you've taken care of all the small things that will go wrong on your car. 

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

1 hour ago, Max Capacity said:

Sorry, but I don't think many of us would recommend you spend your money on those kinds of parts, unless you've taken care of all the small things that will go wrong on your car. 

Could you expand on what you mean by that?

Have you replaced the wheel bearings ? Have you made sure the fluids are up to date for replacing them ? How about the timing belt kit ?

I see you're new here, take a read through the sticky's at the tops of the Forums for your car. 

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I'll just say, IMO that wing is not something I would put on my car. These cars are about running under the police radar. Don't call attention to yourself. 

1 hour ago, RWebb said:

As if the new stupid forum wasn't the nail in LGT.com or this car model there are now stupid posts like this. 

Stick to your rights to fix ugly ass green tractor you riced out POS 

Ok what’s with the hostility? Someone upset that they see a fellow owner who actually wants to fix their car and make it look apart from the 30 other look alike shit boxes in their area?

People like you are what’s wrong with the community. 

It seems like it's been a long time since, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed, on here.

I realize people like to make things their own. That's why I was being nice. If you want the big wing, feel free to do what you want. I just want you to make sure you have a good running car first.

We did a full body kit on a Civic back in the early 2000's. That car became a full drag race 9 second car, we spent way too much money on it, but it was fun for a few years.

7 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

It seems like it's been a long time since, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed, on here.

I realize people like to make things their own. That's why I was being nice. If you want the big wing, feel free to do what you want. I just want you to make sure you have a good running car first.

We did a full body kit on a Civic back in the early 2000's. That car became a full drag race 9 second car, we spent way too much money on it, but it was fun for a few years.

Definitely running good, for now at least. Got it back to stock after one of the previous owners slapped a Cobb intake on it and didn’t tune or care for it what so ever.  both bumpers are junk after it looks like the rear was replaced and whoever painted it needs to retire asap. Front bumper needs replaced since previous owner also self tapped an eBay lip to it and drove through PA with it and a chunk is nicked out of it due to a mishap with a pressure washer.
Just looking at my options of something different. I was also debating on doing an outback swap on it.   

17 minutes ago, thefultonhow said:

I thought body kits went out of style two decades ago? :confused:

I dunno, maybe it's just wishful thinking. :iam:

Inb4 OP needs a new shortblock but spent all his money on a body kit. :hide:

Shortblock is plenty healthy. Thats what happens when you keep your engine stock and keep up with maintenance.

Didn't expect the hostility when all I asked was a simple question.

Just to clarify I was looking at just the bumper and maybe the spoiler.

Edited by JohnDeere714

About engine health, most of us learned these cars don't do well on the factory tune/map. Cobb AP can fix that. My wagon was on Cobb since Dec 8 2004, when AP was released. When I put a ej257 shortblock in at 154,000 miles, because I planned to keep the car and we had done some overboosting early on, When the trusted machine shop did my heads, in April 2012, he told me, "mine were the first set of these heads he'd seen that didn't need any valves". His shop does all the Subaru heads for the local dealers.  My heads have over 304,800 miles on them.

My cars see mostly highway miles, not much stop and go or short trips. These cars don't live well doing short trips.

You may be able to find a trunk lid that came with the wing to swap out for your's. That was a thing in the for sale forum a few years back.

14 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

About engine health, most of us learned these cars don't do well on the factory tune/map. Cobb AP can fix that. My wagon was on Cobb since Dec 8 2004, when AP was released. When I put a ej257 shortblock in at 154,000 miles, because I planned to keep the car and we had done some overboosting early on, When the trusted machine shop did my heads, in April 2012, he told me, "mine were the first set of these heads he'd seen that didn't need any valves". His shop does all the Subaru heads for the local dealers.  My heads have over 304,800 miles on them.

My cars see mostly highway miles, not much stop and go or short trips. These cars don't live well doing short trips.

You may be able to find a trunk lid that came with the wing to swap out for your's. That was a thing in the for sale forum a few years back.

I’ll keep that advice on hand. I have other things on my plate before I worry about actually tuning this car. But she does see some good highway driving when she’s used. 

• I Donated
6 hours ago, JohnDeere714 said:

Shortblock is plenty healthy. Thats what happens when you keep your engine stock and keep up with maintenance. 

...you think. 

You're checking your oil every time you get gas, right? I learned the hard way to do that. The number of things on these cars that can either leak oil (which, with the undertray, you don't even see) or cause the car to burn oil is kind of ridiculous. And by the time the oil pressure light comes on, you need a new turbo,  a new shortblock, or both. 

I don't miss those days at all. 

1 hour ago, thefultonhow said:

...you think. 

You're checking your oil every time you get gas, right? I learned the hard way to do that. The number of things on these cars that can either leak oil (which, with the undertray, you don't even see) or cause the car to burn oil is kind of ridiculous. And by the time the oil pressure light comes on, you need a new turbo,  a new shortblock, or both. 

I don't miss those days at all. 

oh trust me I do, I shoot to check it every other day or at least before I start it after it sits a while. The oil consumption is not that bad any more since I've done valve covers and replaced the inlet with an oem one. I did skip out on cam seals unfortunately. 

I like the style, but dunno if I like the way it fits/mounts. I’ve seen other wings for LGTs that seem to mount more flush with the trunk and look more natural (don’t know if they’re STi wings?). you’ll more than likely have to drill holes. These cars don’t come with factory mounting holes for the trunk, since they didn’t come with a wing. A co-worker has a WRX with a STi wing and he had to drill holes in his trunk lid. It’s possible but I’d take my time and use tape to mark. 

Personally I wouldn’t mind having a sedan with a wing like that cause I can’t afford a STi, and like the look of STis/Evos, though the functionality would hardly be used in all reality. You’ll find a lot of people here like these cars better cause they’re way less attention-grabbing than a WRX or STi, too, while being more affordable. No less expensive, though, as you’ll learn. I think of Maxcapacitys adage of these cars aren’t for the faint of heart or wallet every time I get in mine. But I’d still do it again. I’m kinda dumb that way, but YOLO. There’s more focus on having a fun, quick, non-descript daily. I drive a turbo wagon and i love it cause it’s a blast to drive but looking at it you wouldn’t think it’s a turbo unless you knew what it was. Sorry, /threadjack. 

Edited by SoobyDoobyDoo

13 minutes ago, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

I like the style, but dunno if I like the way it fits/mounts. I’ve seen other wings for LGTs that seem to mount more flush with the trunk and look more natural (don’t know if they’re STi wings?). you’ll more than likely have to drill holes. These cars don’t come with factory mounting holes for the trunk, since they didn’t come with a wing. A co-worker has a WRX with a STi wing and he had to drill holes in his trunk lid. It’s possible but I’d take my time and use tape to mark. 

Personally I wouldn’t mind having a sedan with a wing like that cause I can’t afford a STi, and like the look of STis/Evos, though the functionality would hardly be used in all reality. You’ll find a lot of people here like these cars better cause they’re way less attention-grabbing than a WRX or STi, too, while being more affordable. No less expensive, though, as you’ll learn. I think of Maxcapacitys adage of these cars aren’t for the faint of heart or wallet every time I get in mine. But I’d still do it again. I’m kinda dumb that way, but YOLO. There’s more focus on having a fun, quick, non-descript daily. I drive a turbo wagon and i love it cause it’s a blast to drive but looking at it you wouldn’t think it’s a turbo unless you knew what it was. Sorry, /threadjack. 

A buddy of mine put an evo 8 wing on his and I got to say it looked really good. He swore up and down that it used the factory deck lid holes so I would have to recheck his statement. I’ve see the va sti wing as well but that ironically is too massive for a car that’s now smaller than a wrx. 

if memory serves me right this used to be his car that showed up on marketplace again. 

58CF28E6-D8E6-49DE-9330-937D2FF33E52.png

A449DB41-23BD-4A83-A802-D3E60D1065EF.jpeg

Edited by JohnDeere714

Just remember these cars are old, your talking about putting a ton of money into a 2006. I am going to say go ahead about do the body kit. These cars are very odd and they act weird. My 2010 Daily ford Taurus make me feel comfortable driving it lol. I do not have to worry about turbo car problems. I put a ton of work into my car cause i wanted something I could go out and hit the car meets and night time fun. I do plan on keeping it for good unless I come into some money.

Don't mind us grumpy old men... Seems like we got started on the wrong foot with a new forum member, shame on us. 🙂

Most of us Legacy guys are into these cars because they are under the radar or more grown up, but don't let us stop you from doing something fun. Its your car, do what you want, if somebody else doesn't like it, F*ck 'em.

And yes, these cars are old and have their quirks. Some would have you believe they are some kind of temperamental time bombs, they are not. It sounds like you have a good knowledge of basic maintenance, beyond that, read up on some of the common problems these cars have and keep a lookout. Otherwise, do repairs when needed, use quality parts and do quality work and you will be fine. Have fun!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, All_talk said:

Its your car, do what you want, if somebody else doesn’t like it F*ck ‘em.

Haha well said All_talk, isn’t that what this hobby is all about? And these cars are fun, esp for those of us who can’t afford something like a vette, or mustang, or need something more practical. Unfortunately Norulzleggy also got the nail on the head-these cars are getting up there in age and they’re not cheap. They’ll become a money pit really quick….that Evo does look like it belongs on the car more than the burn up wing, plus you’ll save shipping from Japan. That wing will run you at least $400-$500 to bring over. A complete body kit will probably cost min $1-2k to bring over as well, so keep that in mind.