LegacyGT.com

Bleeding ABS pump

Well I done did it. While bleeding the brakes I let the master cylinder get dry. I think I may have gotten air stuck in the abs pump. It looks like older subarus you could cycle the pump by jumping certain pins but best I can tell you need the SSM software to do it on our cars.

Unfortunately I'm not able to just go out and engage the abs system to try to dislodge the air.

Have you thought about using a Motive Power bleeder to bleed the brakes ?

The 107 is for our cars.

DSCN9503.thumb.JPG.52e55f8e743dbfcde15c334144b2132d.JPG

Will this help, https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+bleed+ABS+pump+2005+subaru+legacy&rlz=1C1OKWM_enUS906US906&oq=how+to+bleed+ABS+pump+2005+subaru+legacy&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160l2j33i299.23255j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I haven't, I've looked into using some sort of power bleeder, since I typically work alone, but every time I'm like well I won't do that again any time soon.

Gave another in depth bleed tonight and got a bunch of air out of one of the back calipers and it seems to be better now.

I had a reman caliper fail and didn't have the money to front the replacement so I ended up leaving the brake system open for an extended period of time, obviously a terrible decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it doesn't work I'm going to try to find someone with a proper j2534 pass thru and see if I can get ssm3 to work with it. The internet seems to be mixed if it will work out not.

That's the only way I've found to cycle the abs pump. If a j2534 doesn't work then it'll either be a trip to the dealer or trying a vx diag device.

If you let the master get dry, you need to bench bleed it before attempting to bleed the lines.

If it means any thing to ya, the service manual not once mentions to cycle the ABS pump when bleeding the brakes, it mentions "perform abs sequence control" during the abs unit replacement, and it appears to be a pressure test function.

At the end of the day, it's brakes, if you don't trust it, take it to the dealer!

So you had a reman caliper fail too. I had to get 5 for my right front before I got a good one over a couple of years. NAPA kept giving me free replacements. NAPA and all auto parts stores knew there was an issue. Something about a jig being off at the reman place.

The power bleeder helps when replacing the old fluid too. Used it on my 86' F150.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

For anyone who stumbles upon this thread in the future - you can buy line stops like these if you intend to leave a line open for a while:

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/W83145/10002/-1?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvLOTBhCJARIsACVldV3n-h-z9qc5tcZsu-YttvVrW6-x6mZu5KetRdfFxt3dVePwL5iD8XQaAs-DEALw_wcB

Found and bought a set after the first and only time I accidentally let a master cylinder run dry

So you had a reman caliper fail too. I had to get 5 for my right front before I got a good one over a couple of years. NAPA kept giving me free replacements. NAPA and all auto parts stores knew there was an issue. Something about a jig being off at the reman place.

The power bleeder helps when replacing the old fluid too. Used it on my 86' F150.

Right front too! Yea the lower seal failed after about a year and a half on the car. I think it was holding together OK but I decided to pull it to inspect the pads and as soon as I got it off it spit fluids everywhere. I got them from autozone so free replacement. Decided to just do the other side too. Might have been a mistake to do the one that didn't have any problems.

If you let the master get dry, you need to bench bleed it before attempting to bleed the lines.

If it means any thing to ya, the service manual not once mentions to cycle the ABS pump when bleeding the brakes, it mentions "perform abs sequence control" during the abs unit replacement, and it appears to be a pressure test function.

At the end of the day, it's brakes, if you don't trust it, take it to the dealer!

Yea the abs sequence control basically just activates the abs to dislodge any air that might have gotten stuck in it if you did something dumb like I did. A lot of people will just go out to a dirt road and lock up to activate it but for a different reason, my abs won't activate. It's an issue with vdc.

I did bench bleed the master, well gravity bled it, there's not enough space to get the secondary line fully off, or I'm just being dumb. But it seems alright, went for a slow drive last night and it was fine but wasn't able to check am emergency braking situation so it's parked until I can.

Hopefully you have it fixed, go find a dirt road and lock up the brakes. Or on a rainy day in a parking lot.

Somewhat related, but I too had a remanufactured front right caliper fail and lock up within a few thousand miles. Realizing that remans are generally crap, I discovered that newer WRXs (up until 2021!) use the exact same front caliper as our GTs. Found one on eBay from a WRX that is only a few years old for about the same cost as a reman (there are tons of used ones available). The OEM brake hose that was attached looked relatively new and the caliper itself is in great condition. Part number is 26292AG042 for the passenger front caliper. Installed it this past weekend and confirmed it is identical - bolted up perfectly and now I have a functioning brake caliper again. At this point, an OEM caliper that has 20-40k miles seems like a safer bet than a reman. Gotta love Subaru's part interchangeability

+1 for the Motive Power Bleeder - used it to bleed my lines when I swapped the caliper.