LegacyGT.com

Current tuning solutions

I've been out of the Subie world for a few years, and I just picked up an '05 OBXT. I want to put on an OTS tune. What are the current products available for that? Is everyone still using Cobb AccessPorts? I really don't want to spend $700 for this, and in the BMW world, it's just an Android app, much much cheaper.

You can still use cobb access port, the problem i was told it that people who want to go the cheap route to tune there cars are the ones that will have the problems. You can still get a ton of power and pass emissions with no problem. I been saying this for a while, don't cut corners. Keep all the CARB legal stuff.

What about all the COBB customers that don't live in the USA and aren't bound by CARB or DOT or "Federal Emissions" regulations? I guess we get the screw job. I really hope I don't keep getting a code for TGVs not opening since I can't get replacement parts, or delete them now.

I guess the tuners around here are going to have to suck it up and use open source finally.

I own an AP3 right now for my LGT but been thinking about a standalone tuning option. My bugeye has a Link ECU. I want something similar. I have tried open source and it just isn't as good as the AP3 until cobb decided to do all of this. I'm hopeful that the OS community will get back its knowledgeable people that cobb took away now that things are changing. I just hate tricking the ECU into doing things

O great almost finished with by build and it's a ******* paper weight now, they just sold be there flex kit they no longer support less than 6 months ago , this is unbelievable

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

If you decide to switch over to open source, I have a patched ROM that'll work for your car that supports flex fuel.

edit: glory be to solidxsnake for making this happen a while back. his handywork, i'm just the beneficiary.

Edited by awfulwaffle

If you decide to switch over to open source, I have a patched ROM that'll work for your car that supports flex fuel.

edit: glory be to solidxsnake for making this happen a while back. his handywork, i'm just the beneficiary.

Thanks , I also have tgv, deletes, 16g turbo , and ID 1050s .

Need a custom tune, so disappointing was looking forward to Dyno tune at local shop

We need a post of current open source tuners I guesse

Local shop moving to link ECU for anything but the blandest of tunes I'm told.

Also looking like my flex fuel kit is a ******* paper weight

I will have an unmarried Cobb v3 access port and intake and box for sale if anyone is interested.

Like brand new

You all are killing me here, I have all this stuff plus tons more on my car and I am getting tuned with via AP3 with no problems for my new setup, I know people who are getting tuned as we speak with no issues.
They are forcing the software update to all dealers as we speak, if you get a tune now they will not support it in the future , software will force them to "correct" any of the features they are disabling.

Be warned link ECU is about 1k Cobb is 600 save yourself the trouble now

Just got off the phone with a very reputable dealer/tuner.

Link ECU is the only way to go if you want flex fuel or any messing with emissions features.

To make it worse all the maps in the future will be carb compliant and subject to epa standards and testing.

Expect the tunes themselves aside from emissions testing and control to be very vanilla.

Cobb is dead

You all are killing me here, I have all this stuff plus tons more on my car and I am getting tuned with via AP3 with no problems for my new setup, I know people who are getting tuned as we speak with no issues.
They did say the can rewire my flex fuel kit but essentially the only part that will be used is the actual sensor I could have bought for like 50 bucks lol, the Cobb module is useless

The only upside to this is the link is a much better platform and requires actual tuning ability.

These dealers will not just be able to load some map they have used 1000 times tweak one or two things and call it a pro tune.

You will be able to tell who actually know what they are doing by the ones who supports and tuned stand alone like link and haltech

Link doesn’t make anything specially for the LGT but rather WRX/STI. We will need to find similarities in ecu pin outs to use link ecu.

Link is more expensive but no more tricking the ecu. I hate doing it with my STI and no more emissions or OBDII things. Just things that work. Stand-alone require the tuner to make the car idle and such. I believe there are auto learn features but it’ll be a solid alternative. There are other types of stand-alone that replace the ECU rather than piggy backing onto and needing to trick the ecu to do what we want with it.

My LGT has a IAG block with LGT heads with upgraded injectors and turbo. Many tuners have tried but the idle isn’t right and when the car hasn’t ran for a little while it’s gets wonky. Totally the AP3 tune. Even on OS I’ve had similar issues.

Link doesn’t make anything specially for the LGT but rather WRX/STI. We will need to find similarities in ecu pin outs to use link ecu.

Link is more expensive but no more tricking the ecu. I hate doing it with my STI and no more emissions or OBDII things. Just things that work. Stand-alone require the tuner to make the car idle and such. I believe there are auto learn features but it’ll be a solid alternative. There are other types of stand-alone that replace the ECU rather than piggy backing onto and needing to trick the ecu to do what we want with it.

My LGT has a IAG block with LGT heads with upgraded injectors and turbo. Many tuners have tried but the idle isn’t right and when the car hasn’t ran for a little while it’s gets wonky. Totally the AP3 tune. Even on OS I’ve had similar issues.

My local shop seems very confident about using the link , waiting to hear back but he thinks he may even have one in stock that will work.

I'm guessing with these changes the pin out compatibility and some work flows for getting it running correctly will be available very soon.

Part of me is considering just putting stock turbo and injectors and turbo back on , throwing a ap staged canned tune on it and selling it and buying the boxster I have been eyeing.

Getting kinda frustrated.

Definitely possible to use link. Need to get the correct one though. Need to compare a bunch of things and until someone does no real solutions. This could be a thing for my forester as well.

Is there a reason nobody is talking about Tactrix / Romraider? Did I miss something? I get that a standalone is probably a better option for a race car but for the other 99.9% of us...

I got real tired of SCT's stranglehold on Ford tuning and was super pumped when I found out the Subaru didn't require another stupid tuning device that costs as much as a laptop and ends up collecting dust 363 days a year.

Is there a reason nobody is talking about Tactrix / Romraider? Did I miss something? I get that a standalone is probably a better option for a race car but for the other 99.9% of us...

I got real tired of SCT's stranglehold on Ford tuning and was super pumped when I found out the Subaru didn't require another stupid tuning device that costs as much as a laptop and ends up collecting dust 363 days a year.

The problem is all the talented software engineers got scooped up by cobb and open source development halted.

Most of the best tuners also went to Cobb platform around the same time.

ECUtek is still an option and used by

Delicious Tuning

I spoke with them yesterday , will cost you over 700 with the cable and ECU license, and the Cobb flex fuel kit is not compatible.

They however were super responsive and helpful.

Also the problem gets worse for newer Subarus because they stopped open source development and there is no new ECU definitions for the newer models.

So even though us legacy and older sti and WRX guys have some open source option it's a bigger problem than just us.

Hey, all, this news slammed me today. I just bought the latest V3 AP on April 5, and they didn't say jack squat about this. Moreover, the shop I've worked with for years -- trying not to name them here because of their relationship to Cobb -- has just completed a 2-month project on my 05 wagon.

I took the car in February for a JDM TD04HLA twinscroll swap with AVO intercooler, downpipe and EBCS. As they got into the swap, however, the 169k motor needed replacing. I acquired an OEM shortblock and a set of new B25 head castings off these great forums. The shop finally started it yesterday and are sorting out the car for break-in tune, as this news came in.

Their suggestion today is to use the car's older AP for break-in tune, and acquire an EcuTek for the subsequent tune. Try to return this paperweight V3...

"EcuTek is our solution so it's not a big deal, only sad part is the fact they they dropped this bombshell on us without any notices... EcuTek has the appropriate ROMS, open source is a hijacked version of EcuTek"

I want to add, the aspects of my swap affected by this are (1) the JDM intake which is TGV-less, and (2) the JDM twinscroll exhaust which has no EGR sensor in the up-pipe. They're among the "toggled" items regarding exhaust/emissions.

I'm sure it was a tough decision for Cobb, but geez, why can't the tuning of an automobile be left to the owner of the automobile?

Edited by rdhayward
Adding info

...why can't the tuning of an automobile be left to the owner of the automobile?

It technically still is. But the people who already know how that can't be making profit while defeating emissions equipment.

It makes sense, it was mostly a loophole that got closed up. I'm all for a good loophole, but at the end of the day you can't argue if it contradicts the actual rule.

Have all the remote tuners lgt.com loves turned their backs on the tactrix cable/ECUflash path? I know Tuning Alliance was just getting to the point of really preferring Cobb when I used him for my open source stuff a couple years ago. Not sure if he's still open to the idea but he never specifically said he's not touching my file anymore. What about Cryo?

I did get a few shops tell me that we wouldn't continue a tuning conversation if I wasn't using an accessport but I think that was for proprietary reasons as it was back in 2016, long before this news was ever a thing.