LegacyGT.com

Struts and Shocks/Springs opinions

So, I need to upgrade my struts, and shocks. They're all shot. Might as well do the springs too?

I don't want to mess around with lowering the vehicle too much, as I like blasting through snow. I'm not really feeling the whole "coilovers" thing. I kind of want a blend of comfort, sporty, and performance.

I'm thinking Bilstein B6 HD's and STI Pink springs all around. Any advice or warnings? Any better options out there?

Just getting some opinions before I pull the $1500-ish trigger. Thanks!

I am with you on the suspension goal. Sounds like where I would be aiming. Problem is age and mileage has taken its toll on all of our rides to whatever degree and you should look at every bushing/joint as well. Wallet please. Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I am with you on the suspension goal. Sounds like where I would be aiming. Problem is age and mileage has taken its toll on all of our rides to whatever degree and you should look at every bushing/joint as well. Wallet please. Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I spent a good deal of time fixing the rear suspension and the front suspension is solid and pretty new as well. Only issue right now is inner and outer tie rod ends, which I'll do when I finish the struts and shocks. Give it a good alignment and hope for the best!

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll have to gather the parts separately. Lol. First I'll get the Spec B tophats, then buy the springs, and finally the struts and shocks. Put em all together and be good for another 100,000 :lol:

Koni and Pinks drop about an 1" or so.

The other option is to find a good condition/low mileage full set of JDM Bilstein that you can direct swap in. That will keep closer to stock height, you might need a little spacer in the rear to match up to the front. Usually those are $500-700.

I ran a Rev C set for a couple years and they were a good balance, I'm on Koni + pinks front + king KSRL-29 rear.

It's lowered about an inch and handles very nicely.

The Kings hold up to weight really well, I just put 16 cu ft of bagged soil in the back with a few cu ft of mulch and it barely settled.

How are Swift springs?

Swift Springs on USDM struts drop the car like crazy. The rated drop of an inch or so for them is for Spec B or JDM Bilsteins, can't remember which. They drop the car over 2 inches on USDM Konis or KYBs.

I'd recommend just using Koni shocks and OEM springs if you don't want to lower the car. It'll handle just a smidge better and won't be lower. You can revalve your old shocks with the Konis.

525 bucks in cost me for all new OEM spec kyb struts, front and rear mounts, and the saggy but spacers.

Koni seems to be the choice for most but you need to cut up your old struts and the cost is significantly higher

Almost no one goes with the OEM replacement not really sure why as I have read more than one person that isn't a fan of the konis

If you really don't want any lowering and it isn't a track car or has a need for stiffer ride I don't see the point of anything but OEM.

Seems more like a WRX thing trying to stiffen it up. That is what is great about the leggy, WRX power and nice smooth ride.

I fear nor really feel most speed bumps , pot holes or dirt and gravel roads

I went thru this whole debate my self and am happy I went the direction I did

Just my two cents

Including some pics , stock 177k Mile springs with new struts and mounts, 1/2 Saggy butt spacers, and one inch wheel spacersPXL_20211231_234313380.thumb.jpg.c9fb95744a2d1f0b4852f295b78005d2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

PXL_20211017_215212064.jpg.2b594c1cec684da97fdd6f93b5e85e1b.jpg

PXL_20211017_215231610.jpg.9c1fd6766e357c42796f1a1fcf061679.jpg

PXL_20211231_234324239.jpg.24d2501ba3e1c06392b39588950acb43.jpg

525 bucks in cost me for all new OEM spec kyb struts, front and rear mounts, and the saggy but spacers.

Koni seems to be the choice for most but you need to cut up your old struts and the cost is significantly higher

Almost no one goes with the OEM replacement not really sure why as I have read more than one person that isn't a fan of the konis

If you really don't want any lowering and it isn't a track car or has a need for stiffer ride I don't see the point of anything but OEM.

Seems more like a WRX thing trying to stiffen it up. That is what is great about the leggy, WRX power and nice smooth ride.

I fear nor really feel most speed bumps , pot holes or dirt and gravel roads

I went thru this whole debate my self and am happy I went the direction I did

Just my two cents

Including some pics , stock 177k Mile springs with new struts and mounts, 1/2 Saggy butt spacers, and one inch wheel spacers[ATTACH]295853[/ATTACH][ATTACH]295854[/ATTACH][ATTACH]295855[/ATTACH][ATTACH]295856[/ATTACH]

FWIW, my stock blown shocks and stock worn out springs were less comfy than my Koni and H&R spring combo. I think anybody with blown shocks would be happy with anything new as an upgrade!

FWIW, my stock blown shocks and stock worn out springs were less comfy than my Koni and H&R spring combo. I think anybody with blown shocks would be happy with anything new as an upgrade!
If I wanted any lower than stock ride height that is the direction I would have gone

FWIW, I used H&R lowering springs on KYB struts and it was honestly the most perfect ride setup I’ve ever experienced in a Subaru. I replaced them with JDM coils due to fitment issues but I miss the feel of those springs and struts. Not rough but super responsive when you needed it on the spirited backroads.

• 2 weeks later...

Bilstein B6 and STI springs are amazing on my car (2007 3.0R Spec B 5EAT).

B6 are genuine springs on this car.

On my 2004 3.0R Spec B before this one, I tried Tein S springs but they are uncomfortable.

STI springs are lowering a little bit the car but with a greatest handling than genuine springs or Tein with ones.

I've had Koni's and stock springs for about 3k miles, love them!

Me too:wub: - makes for the perfect winter corner carver:p:cool:

I also have upgraded sway bars and new bushings all around;)

I wish Subaru and the aftermarket would publish spring and dampening rates, it would be much easer to compare options.

On my SpecB I would like to drop the front about 1", the rear is good where its at, tho I suspect it has sagged some to get there. I think the stock SpecB is a great balance between comfort and handling. I would not want to go softer and I could live with slightly firmer.

Most of the comparisons I see are based on the standard LGT which is slightly softer than the SpecB so its hard to know how they would feel. Another issue is all the lowering springs are designed for the standard LGT struts which have thinner top hats, you wont get the rated drop on the SpecB front hats.

I don't want to spend the time and money to try several setups, so for now I've left it as-is.

I wish Subaru and the aftermarket would publish spring and dampening rates, it would be much easer to compare options.

On my SpecB I would like to drop the front about 1", the rear is good where its at, tho I suspect it has sagged some to get there. I think the stock SpecB is a great balance between comfort and handling. I would not want to go softer and I could live with slightly firmer.

Most of the comparisons I see are based on the standard LGT which is slightly softer than the SpecB so its hard to know how they would feel. Another issue is all the lowering springs are designed for the standard LGT struts which have thinner top hats, you wont get the rated drop on the SpecB front hats.

I don't want to spend the time and money to try several setups, so for now I've left it as-is.

Swift springs are designed with Spec B struts in mind. Their rated drop is extremely wrong for LGT struts. They slam the hell out of an LGT while they get their rated drop on Spec B Bilsteins of a bit over an inch.