LegacyGT.com

Hella Wiring Question - does this look correct?

Hi guys,

I’m getting ready to wire up my Hella black magic lights. I want them to come on when I hit the high beams. I haven’t decided if I should put a switch in the dash or not. This is what I came up with for a wiring schematic. Does this look good to you or am I going to make something blow up? c7f8cefe4148a411b49163369cb7984b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? Good job. Where did you exactly tap on the high beams? at the driver headlight wires or somewhere else?

At the headlight wires near the bulb. I have added better wiring to handle the 100W high beams so it will not melt. So that made it a bit easier.

One thing to keep in mind if you do this is that a 30A relay and fuse is not quite enough.

I have installed 100W high beams and with the 4 x 55W = 220W.

So 320W/12V = 26.6A so it’s cutting it real close when I hit the high beams.

I will add a 50A relay and 30A fuse and see how that goes. I have been popping 20A fuses.

I am wondering if I go bigger with 100W bulbs in the Hella 500’s that puts me at 600W.

So 600W/12 = 50A. I might have to go bigger on the relay and fuse.

Any tips are appreciated if you have done this.

Which high beam bulbs are you using?

I believe they are Hella bulbs. The most important thing to change is the connection between the bulb and the harness for the car. 100W bulbs run hotter and you want a connector that can handle the heat.

This is what I used.

iJDMTOY 9005 9145 HB3 H10 Heavy Duty Ceramic Wiring Harness Sockets Compatible With Headlights or Fog Lights https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DM8MUW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_vQdbSzC9BMYtH