LegacyGT.com

Subie Newbie - seeking guidance

Hi everybody, I'm new here, grateful for whatever knowledge I can pick up

I'm not experienced under the hood, but I am somewhat handy in a wood shop, so I'm not useless when it comes to how things are built and how to work on things. I just haven't had a car in ages so no need. But...

...after more than 15 years of living in NYC and not having wheels, I scored a 2009 3.0 Limited in August that seems to have been well cared for. I love it. Fun to drive, well-appointed interior. All that. Anyone who's here knows the deal better than I do.

In the few months I've had it I've had to do a few things:

• radiator

• front/rear brakes and rotors

• front ball joints

Now I'm looking at tires. I've got 4/32 left on the previous owner's Michelin Primacy MXM4. They're upsized to 225/40, rather than the spec 215/45. I like the look obviously, and I guess some of the responsiveness is attributable to the upsizing, but I'm guessing there is loss in ride smoothness over sections of bumpy road. But I'm not sure how much.

Anyone have a sense of the smooth ride / responsiveness ratio? And secondarily, thoughts on good tires? I'm not a super aggressive driver. I have my moments when I push it for sure, but I don't need ultra performance. I'm looking for the sweet spot between performance/quietness/smooth-ride. So far the Continental Pure Contact LS and Nexxenn5000 Platinum have my eye, but I'm open. I've never bought tires before other than one off fix-a-flats on cars I didn't really care about. Any suggestions?

I'm also betting I'm going to have to do the exhaust before too too long. Reading through here I see things about catback and ways to get more horsepower/torque/efficiency and I'm definitely into that, but really out of my depth. The performance is appealing to me, though I don't want a very aggressive growl. For someone with quite limited experience, would it be crazy for me to do the exhaust myself? I follow directions well and am handy in other ways. I'd be grateful for any thoughts and/or guidance.

Thanks a million for any insight/encouragement/comment/etc. Just hoping to learn some and make this baby as sweet as she can be.

If you get some cheap ramps exhaust is " easy"

The two places you can and may have trouble is with stuck bolts and tweaking the alignment, that being said kinda hard to do any serious damage .

Soak all bolts wit PB blaster , get correct size wrenches and sockets.

Good place to start if you are new to wrenching

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

So the 3.0R engine will pretty much always end up sounding something like a Porsche no matter how you mess with it. It can sound pretty cool, but don't overdo it. Just do the mufflers, if possible, if you plan to go aftermarket and leave the rest of it stock.

For tires, you will notice a difference between the two but with current tire shortages, I'd just get what you can get. Tire compound may make more of a difference in ride comfort than you think, as well as how stiff the sidewalls are. Just looking at the aspect ratio of the tire doesn't tell the whole story.

The PureContact LS is an all-season tire by all meanings. That tire will not hold nicely around corners on this heavy car if you try to do any backroads fun stuff. Stepping up to something like a Contintental DWS or Michelin AS4 will get you that, but your sidewall will be much stiffer. They're also borderline not really usable in NYC cold weather where a traditional all-season might get you to work on a cold day with some mild snow.

If MPG, cheap tire cost, and comfort are more important to you, then get the PureContact in whatever size fits your car that is available for a reasonable price. If you want some more fun, maybe look at a high-performance all-season tire.

First off, welcome to the forums! You've made a great first post.

Second, nice car! Throw up some pictures in a thread of your own or in one of the many picture threads under the 4th gen section.

I've purchased 4x sets of tires in my short life. All sets have been purchased for Outback wagons. 2x sets fall under the [ultra] high-performance all-season tire that Pleides is talking about, those being Dunlop Signature HP's. They are a phenomenal all-season tire for all Houston, Texas and Washington state seasons. And they'll allow for a mild spirited driving in dry and wet. These might be a closer fit to what you're looking for in the performance/comfort category. I use these as winters/spares. Of all the all-season tires I've had on various cars over the years, these have been my favorite to drive on. Until they go out of production, I will not be purchasing any other all-season.

The other 2x sets of tires I've bought are Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, and these allow for more aggressive spirited driving in both dry/wet conditions. They turn to plastic in anything below 28 degrees Fahrenheit, however. They have a super soft sidewall, and would not fit the description of tire you might be looking for in the performance/comfort categories. These are my favorite tire, and I drive these almost all year hear in Washington state, save for the snow weeks/weekends.

As for your exhaust inquiries. I can only refer you to the first two members that come to mind, as I just did muffler deletes on my 3.0R and nothing else. Members BrandonSpecB and Ckwaters both have EZ30s with extensive work done to them. Ckwaters' I've had the pleasure of seeing/hearing on a very regular basis, and it sounds amazing. Brandon's I've only heard through in-cabin clips, nonetheless, it still sounds really good. PM Ckwaters as he doesn't have a build thread to go to. You can check out Brandon's here:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-year-new-build-v-3-0-ri-277229.html?t=277229

Just in case pictures of the tires I've referenced above are desired, I have attached low-quality photos that give the best perspective on the physical characteristics them. Dunlops on the factory 7-spokes. Michelins on the sportier wheels.

Welcome again!

Dunlops:

picture.php?albumid=2813&pictureid=12742

Michelins:

picture.php?albumid=2813&pictureid=12748

*NOTE: AFTER 2YRS OF BEING HERE I JUST FIGURED OUT HOW ALL OF YOU POST BIG PICTURES IN THE MESSAGE INSTEAD OF JUST SMALL ATTACHMENTS AT THE BOTTOM. REVOLUTIONARY. F**K MEE!:spin:*

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Welcome! Nice to have another New Yorker on the forum. With the 3.0 you will avoid many of the points of failure us turbo guys have.

Since you're in the northeast, I would also look into some undercoating (Fluid Film, CRC HD Corrosion Inhibitor, Blaster Surface Shield). Stay away from the solid undercoatings that will actually trap moisture and accelerate rust on your chassis. Since you have a nice example it's worth keeping it that way.

For the first time treating your car, I would go through the trouble of taking the plastic trim off the underbody and wheel wells. The wheel arches and "dog leg" (where the wheel arches meet your second row door) are usually the first areas to rust.

Congrats on the purchase!

*NOTE: AFTER 2YRS OF BEING HERE I JUST FIGURED OUT HOW ALL OF YOU POST BIG PICTURES IN THE MESSAGE INSTEAD OF JUST SMALL ATTACHMENTS AT THE BOTTOM. REVOLUTIONARY. F**K MEE!:spin:*

Huh, how?

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Huh, how?

In all of the Post Pics to Site threads/questions to individuals, no one ever explained it to where I understood, or could easily do it. I only ever knew how to use the "Attachments" button, as the "Insert Image button requested a URL that I didn't know how to acquire from my File Explore folders on my PC. I still don't, but I know I can use the URL of the photos in my Photo Album on here and this site will accept it. I'm not sure if that just means that I have to post any photo I want to use in my album then copy the URL, but now that I know this much more, I'll be playing around with it more.

OP to post photos this site is going to require that you reduce the JPEG file size. You can do it through MS Paint or use a file reducer like this one:

https://compressjpeg.com/

Here's a thread with more info incase you fancy other avenues for posting pictures: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/load-pictures-and-files-sites-server-251315.html

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Get a set Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus in 225/45/18s. Both the other tires you are looking at are basically touring tires and give no performance at all. The MXM4 is generally a stock tire for Avalons and Camrys. Its a good smooth tire but once again not a good rounded tire. The DWS will give you everything you want including smoothness if balanced correctly. I personally have been running this series of Continental for the past ten years or so without issue and its the only tire I buy. I also have the same 225/45/18 setup on my 3.0R.

As far as performance parts really nothing but suspension components from Cusco and Whiteline. Personally I would shy away from any sort of performance exhaust on this car. Just stay as close to the stock setup as possible.

@ Febreze Mee,

The Pilot Sport 4S is a summer tire. Just curious why you are running it in temps less the 28 degrees. And ANY Michelin turns into a block of cement anything colder then 32 degrees this is why I hate Michelins. At least they have the best smoothness on a open highway with no potholes however lol. As far as the Dunlop Signature SPs they are total garbage in any light rain or even light snow. The running joke in the Infiniti forums is how fast owners remove these tires after purchase of their new Q50s and Q60s. Once again not being an ass but I have had both sets of the tires you have mentioned on various cars. Once again the Michelin is great for summer only and sticks like glue once heated up. The Dunlop is really bottom of the mark for any performance tire. Once again I prefer the DWS line from Continental. Personally have driven this tire is upwards of 3 inches of unplowed snow as well as pushed the performance level in multiple modified vehicles. Its a great all around tire and gives the balance between performance, traction, and safety in wet and snowy conditions.

As far as the muffler delete I don't get why this is becoming so popular. It really makes any car sound like crap. And it really does not provide anything but to be annoying on the roadway. But to each his own I always say. Every 18 year old kid around here does it. For me I would rather have a good exhaust setup that makes power instead of a muffler delete.

Edited by MoleMan

Yeah muffler delete is not for me. My only interest in performance exhaust is if it it would actually show up in mpg and/or pickup/power. I think you've got me settled on the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus's. I'd had them in mind at one point and then got pulled in those other directions. Great to have first hand input. Regarding the suspension stuff you mentioned, would that translate to smoother ride? As I said, I'm newbie here and haven't had wheels for 15 years...when I was reading about upsizing tires from spec they do say that doing so puts more demand on the suspension, so if I can help with that, I'm interested, depending on the time/money/labor. I looked at the Cusco site, how do I determine the chassis?

@ Febreze Mee,

The Pilot Sport 4S is a summer tire. Just curious why you are running it in temps less the 28 degrees. And ANY Michelin turns into a block of cement anything colder then 32 degrees this is why I hate Michelins. At least they have the best smoothness on a open highway with no potholes however lol. As far as the Dunlop Signature SPs they are total garbage in any light rain or even light snow. The running joke in the Infiniti forums is how fast owners remove these tires after purchase of their new Q50s and Q60s. Once again not being an ass but I have had both sets of the tires you have mentioned on various cars. Once again the Michelin is great for summer only and sticks like glue once heated up. The Dunlop is really bottom of the mark for any performance tire. Once again I prefer the DWS line from Continental. Personally have driven this tire is upwards of 3 inches of unplowed snow as well as pushed the performance level in multiple modified vehicles. Its a great all around tire and gives the balance between performance, traction, and safety in wet and snowy conditions.

As far as the muffler delete I don't get why this is becoming so popular. It really makes any car sound like crap. And it really does not provide anything but to be annoying on the roadway. But to each his own I always say. Every 18 year old kid around here does it. For me I would rather have a good exhaust setup that makes power instead of a muffler delete.

Checks out, as I was 18 when I had the 3.0R. I didn't think the muffler delete sounded good at all, even at that age, and so it didn't last.

One day it was in the 40s, the next it was in the 20s. For what I do, and where I go the Michelins perform all year here in Washington. It has snowed one weekend a year for the last two years here in Tacoma, so I just don't put as many miles on the car those few days.

I purchased the first set of Dunlops after looking for the answer to OPs question. Then I realized I'd be sacrificing the performance I was looking for in a tire for comfort, or vice versa. And so, it was after those that I realized I need a fun tire that's functional and livable (Michelins), and a boring spare set that can get me too* and from with little worry - not to have fun in (Dunlop). Without having the time/money to taste-test sets of tires, I opted for the Dunlops and is all I have to go on, as mentioned. Perhaps I'll try DWS for an all-season next.

Edited by Febreze Mee

MILKRUN  - Click Here

jrizz,

welcome to the forum! Hope to see you here often, this is nice crowd to hang around with. Timesink sometimes but plenty of good info and nice friendly people.

You scored with your H6 equipped Subaru, with 5EAT it's a nice smooth power and no turbo related worries with almost same power. We have wife's 07 Tribeca with same power train and it is now north of 230K miles and drives like a dream. In fact just recently decided against upgrading to 2022 Ascent because Beca is so much smoother on power delivery and much more quiet on the highway.

From what I know:

Tires - Had good luck with Continental CrossContact LX (LX20 previous set, now LX25) on our NA Subarus. Unless you are now in upstate NY they can probably be all-season tire for you.

EZ30 H6 is a great engine, smooth and powerful. With timing chain you don't need to worry about the timing belt, only about a single accessory belt and idlers. Also, while EZ30 is much less known for leaking headgaskets, they still may leak on it. I had ours done at 155K miles mark. Staying on top of maintenance will help you prolong worry free life with your H6. That said, if you don't know when/if the accessory belt and idlers were replaced, check the condition - accessory belt is easy to take off and put back. Check belt idlers for smooth spinning and belt for cracks. If needed you can replace them all yourself, it's easy job for minimally able human being (and you do woodwork so you should be fine).

You said you replaced the radiator -good thing, just make sure one bottle of Subaru coolant conditioner was added. It's a band aid essentially but I'd rather have it there to prevent headgaskets leak.

Use of that Subaru coolant conditioner is one of the holy wars subject so beware ;)

The 5EAT will works for ages - just make sure you have the EAT oil filter replaced and do regular oil changes on it. Maintenance, again.

Good luck!

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

If your only reason for exhaust is performance gains I would just skip it all together as mentioned above. Any small amount of power you may gain won't be worth the dollars and suspension upgrades will provide more noticeable improvements for dollars spent.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

@ Febreze Mee,

Its all good.

As far as ANY Michelin being livable thats a discussion for another time. They are just hard as rocks to me. The rubber compound that Michelin uses is just not my thing.

As far as balancing comfort and performance thats the tricky part. What works for me may not work for you.

Edited by MoleMan

speaking of holy wars, I imagine the whole frameless window and rain guard add-ons might fall into that category as well.

What are your thoughts on that? For all the thought that clearly went into designing these cars, I cannot fathom why the drip-line is inside the car...or maybe my weather stripping is faulty? I'll have to take a look.

The EDM rain visors are barely noticeable but hard to source. Head to this website and set an alert for when they restock - it might take a few months. Nearly everyone who has one installed is satisfied with theirs.

https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=E3610AG010

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

@jrizz,

As far as a smoother ride that’s really your call. What is smooth for me may be rough for you. But overall the setup I have with the 225/45s as well as the mix of Cusco and Whiteline parts is not bad at all and to me is the best setup.

As far as the Cusco part numbers I can get you a number on the Strut Tower brace possible tomorrow. You could always call Yoshi at Cusco direct and he will answer if in the office. Other then that you can send an email to Cusco and they will get back to you with the proper fitment numbers. Just be very accurate with your car description as far as year and build. Whiteline can also help with specific part numbers as well for the front sway and endlinks. White line is a tad better then Cusco in deciphering part numbers.

Edited by MoleMan