LegacyGT.com

DP wrap to keep from cooking my CV boot :(

Hi all,

When it rains is pours I guess. Knee deep in getting my track car put back together from this deer strike and now my Outback XT daily is on the skids :( Smelled and saw a bit of smoke yesterday at a stoplight wafting out of my hood scoop. Checked it when I got home, pass side CV is torn, (again...) and flinging grease all over my DP. Ugh, with this being my second pass side CV to blowout, its obvious that my Cobb DP is just too close for comfort and significantly reduces the life of the boot. Kind always knew that too so my fault for being lazy.. Don't really feel the need to do a full wrap head to toe on this thing and actually would rather look at some sort of blankey option that just covers that foot or so where the pipe is closest to the CV. Looks to be enough clearance to get one on without even pulling anything. Anyone have suggestions on options for this or personal experiences with a particular product? thx!

Just looked at the DEI warp on my DP today, it's already been torn from the stuff that fly's up from the road.

Next time if I wrap it, I would go down the pipe so far.

DO you tend to sit in traffic much... I wonder if that has anything to do with how hot that area gets ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just looked at the DEI warp on my DP today, it's already been torn from the stuff that fly's up from the road.

Next time if I wrap it, I would go down the pipe so far.

DO you tend to sit in traffic much... I wonder if that has anything to do with how hot that area gets ?

Actually don't sit in traffic at all really. I think its just that over time its just putting out too much radiant in that area. Wonder if that extended toss with that further modded JCW Mini Clubman from Portland to Bend in the heat of summer in July hastened its death. It was hot out and we were going for it hard for awhile :)

I wrapped my DP when I did the 6MT swap. Probably 40K ago. Sprayed the wrap with paint that came with it. It's been holding this far.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

or you could stop playing with kiddie toys and step up to real protection. The dei stuff doesn't really work above F 1000 degrees (so not all on turbo cars)

look at https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/ . The basalt solution is good for 2000 degrees sustained. Be sure to follow the install & ppe instructions. Really. Used by drag racers who understand heat management is more than gold foil.

If you want higher levels, something like this: https://www.mcmaster.com/insulation/ can be used to construct actual heat insulation structures. Think F1 levels of shielding. Here's a company that sells solutions like this: https://www.tmaxgroup.com/en/products/tmax-heatshield

Actual heat management solutions are expensive to get right. The heat shielding on our engines is more than a piece of metal stamped into a shape.

In Bend there should be a company who foes this. Ask "joeinoregon" as he works for a furnace/insulation company so he should have access to materials without buying the 1000 foot roll.

I have also formed shields out of aluminum sheet and attached them with hose clamps. Even small air gaps can be very effective, look at some of the stock style underbody shields above the exhaust.

In this case we are not looking to contain the heat and move it far away, we just need to shield the radiant heat in one direction to get a little better life out of the boot (inner boots are pretty cheap and easy to change). A wrap should work, but if you drive in wet/dirty environments it will likely hold moisture and road salt/chemicals. I like the idea of a factory style shield that clamps/bolts around the pipe, but there is no readymade solution and it takes a bit of work.

Edited by All_talk

I wrapped my DP as well for the same reason. Agree with Boxkita and others' observations that wrap doesn't hold up well. However, while the DEI wrap on my headers has already disintegrated in less than a year (two track days), the downpipe wrap seems to be holding up fine for now. The HeatShield armor stuff is probably what I will move on to in the future. I don't think it's stop and go traffic that gets the downpipe that hot, it's sustained WOT.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

I have been looking into this lately too, and recently test fit the Perrin uppipe blanket I have sitting in my garage. Seems like it would work well to cover the downpipe where the axle is. Something I might try.

I have my downpipe wrapped and DEI sprayed over the wrap. It's been good for several years. Very little degrading.

Good stuff guys, sounds like there are various options out there that show some success. Might opt for this piece from DEI, I like the fact that its not a blanket so less issue with chemical saturation / fire risk. Full half inch stand off and it will fit the section from the bottom of the COBB DP cast bell mouth scalloped area down past the CV before it takes a turn to head under the car. https://www.designengineering.com/stainless-steel-pipe-shield-4-5-x-8-5/

Will also say after poking around down there a few minutes ago that the power steering lines are also frightfully close to my unwrapped Cobb UP. Hell, the UP isn't actually that far from the CV boot either :(

Will also say after poking around down there a few minutes ago that the power steering lines are also frightfully close to my unwrapped Cobb UP. Hell, the UP isn't actually that far from the CV boot either :(

I use OEM STI catless UP. OEM flex section and heat shields FTW.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Thats why its shocking that those lines are so close, at least they go from hoses to hard lines as they pass by but man, they are getting cooked I bet. Might look at options with some of the more flexible heat fabric options that you could wrap the whole double line pair as one to keep heat off them. Would also create a bit of a blocker between the UP and the CV as well.

I really like the DEI titanium

"while DEI's titanium wrap, using LR technology, is capable of handling direct continuous heat up to 1,800 degrees F and radiant heat up to 2,800 degrees*'

Wile I have not yet been able to test on my legacy I ran it on my Audi TT and it worked great

I did a pretty heavy overlap when wrapping my dp on the legacy, if my boot feels hot after a hot run I will probably add one of there blankets like you linked

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I really like the DEI titanium

"while DEI's titanium wrap, using LR technology, is capable of handling direct continuous heat up to 1,800 degrees F and radiant heat up to 2,800 degrees*'

Wile I have not yet been able to test on my legacy I ran it on my Audi TT and it worked great

I did a pretty heavy overlap when wrapping my dp on the legacy, if my boot feels hot after a hot run I will probably add one of there blankets like you linked

Also worth mentioning it held up well to to road debre on the TT , the TT was low as shit and it even took quite a few scrapes before it got ratty

Edited by JoeInOregon

race wagon was covered in the dei lr wrap. parts of the exhaust have permanently bonded glass like material bonded to it. pretty much ruined any chance of using the product again. ymmv
Wow that is sad to hear, I don't have access to any of the products you mentioned unfortunately.

I may be able to oder in large quantity but no one is stocking anything close.

In common HVAC work most ou heat mitigation is done with double wall pipe and air gap, most furnaces even especially modern ones require very little internal heat management , so it's not even common in the manufacturing

race wagon was covered in the dei lr wrap. parts of the exhaust have permanently bonded glass like material bonded to it. pretty much ruined any chance of using the product again. ymmv
That inferno wrap really isn't outrageously expensive either....wish I saw this post first , guess we will see if the dei holds up to daily driver levels

I think the key here, especially for the area around the cat, is to have a small air gap in between the wrap and the cat. That's why I chose that 'little' shield. On another note, I also bought a turbo blanket, I think from ptp, and I have to say their material feels higher quality than the DEI one I got.

I've had the same ptp turbo blanket on my wagon for the last 9 years and it appears to be in great shape. I moved it over from the OE turbo, when I replaced that at 191k miles, to my new turbo and it's still been fine. Great product

I've had the same ptp turbo blanket on my wagon for the last 9 years and it appears to be in great shape. I moved it over from the OE turbo, when I replaced that at 191k miles, to my new turbo and it's still been fine. Great product
Do you know what size I would need for a 16g ?