LegacyGT.com

Give me a good reason NOT to run Rotella T6...

My recent move from Portland to Bend has found me without local AMSOIL source for my daily as well as my track car. It was easy before as one of their distribution centers is just around the corner from Cobb Surgeline. Don't really want to pay for shipping on an oil for my daily driver and Rotella T6 is easily available here in town. Anyone have issues with it? Seems to be a solid go to for folks in far flung locales that can't find the boutique stuff that's available in bigger markets. I don't need anything fancy for my stg. 2 Outback XT daily driver but I don't want to put crap in there either...

Also while I'm at it. anyone want to convince me to use Motul or Liqui-Moly in my track car instead of the Amsoil 5-50W Signature Series that I've been running the past few years? I found a Motul dealer here in town and I think there may be a Liqui Moly one as well. I do see Motul stickers all over the Subaru BRZ STI thats competing in the Super GTI if thats worth anything! :)

Edited by shralp

I LOVE some Rotella T6 15w40...

That being said, tuner recommended Motul 5w40 xcess2 for winter and said I could run the T6 15w40 in the summer.

I am currently running Xcess2 right now. It's oil. :)

Edit: used to be an Amsoil dealer and run it in everything. I didn't have any issues, just cheaper for T6 and I like it. Now Motul in the winter so my tuner doesn't cry foul...

I run Liqui-Moly in mine, been really happy with it.

Would I be fine with Walmart tech oil? Maybe, not really interested in finding out.

For a track car, I would definitely get better stuff that is more likely to make a difference than in a DD street car.

I recently made the switch to castrol in the daily, it's a cheap oil with decent additives.

Apparently t6 has changed their formula a few times in the last decade.

May 2017 VOA: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/voa-shell-rotella-t6-may-2017.270486/#post-4408001

July 2011 VOA: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/shell-rotella-t6-5w40-voa.158546/#post-2330040

Thanks for the comments all, happy to hear more perspectives. My initial thought is to run Rotella in the daily and put Motul in the track car since there appears to be a Motul dealer thru one of the shops here. Still pondering options. This, or just bulk up on Amsoil when I go to PDX once in awhile. Assume there has to be something local that I can source thats easily as good as the Amsoil XL Boosted that I've been running in the Outback. Its good oil but with less of the fancy additives than the Signature Series that I run in the track car, and priced accordingly.

Wait, you don't have Amsoil ship it to you...I do, I have a case for the outback and half a case for the Legacy's in the shed with a few filters. I'm a preferred member, if that helps. My orders normally get here the next day or two...

I run the same XL in the 2018 Outback.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I use it to top off my Legacy from time to time. No complaints, but I've never had more than maybe a quart in my car's oil pan at any given point in time. Never cut down on my oil burning on my old engine like many people claimed it did.

I don't think it really matters a ton what synthetic you put in these cars. The engine was designed in the 90s. I can't imagine that they predicted how amazing oil tech would be twenty years down the line. Even Amazon oil or whatever would be fine in our cars. I use whatever 5W-30/5W-40 I can get when I need it. Usually it's Valvoline 5W-30. I've had no issues with it or any random synthetic quart I've had lying around for top offs.

Edited by Pleides

Wait, you don't have Amsoil ship it to you...I do, I have a case for the outback and half a case for the Legacy's in the shed with a few filters. I'm a preferred member, if that helps. My orders normally get here the next day or two...

I run the same XL in the 2018 Outback.

Yup Max I was a preferred member as well for a few years but I found that I wasn't going thru enough oil to really warrant the membership price. Since one of their warehouses was just around the corner from Cobb Surgeline it was easy. Not so much now...

I am not an oil expert, but from what I understand, doesn't that mean that the only noticeable difference is at start up (i.e. 15w thicker than 5w), but somewhat same performance at operating temps (w40 vs w40)? So possibly more wear and tears at start up with thicker oil since it may be harder for the oil pump to move oil around during cranking?

Not trying to start an argument or anything :spin:.

I run Rotella T6 5W40 for years, no complains.. Tried Liqui-Molly (sp?) few times, made no difference except for being more expensive.

For DD should be just fine. I run it year long - i.e. no summer/winter oil for me.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Haha! I know, I was thinking about all the soap boxes that would stack up in this thread! :)[/quote

it was time for a new oil thred :lol: everybody was waiting for !

i m on the fence to switch to motul oil .

i was using for long time eneos oil , cause somebody tell me "this is good stuff"

at one point it was difficult to get so i switched to rotella , cause some say "this is good stuff!''

Haha! I know, I was thinking about all the soap boxes that would stack up in this thread! :)[/quote

it was time for a new oil thred :lol: everybody was waiting for !

i m on the fence to switch to motul oil .

i was using for long time eneos oil , cause somebody tell me "this is good stuff"

at one point it was difficult to get so i switched to rotella , cause some say "this is good stuff!''

We used eneos oil in the race Honda engine. It is good stuff. There was a dyno test, where just changing to it made 50 hp.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here