LegacyGT.com

Give me a good reason NOT to run Rotella T6...

I've come to the position that I'll use whatever deal I can find for 5w-40 full synthetic for diesels from a reputable company. Rotella T6 is currently in my car and Valvoline Premium Blue is stored for my next change. I used to spoil her with Motul Xcess but I can only find it for nearly double the price of other quality oils. Trying to be more mindful of my spending these days.

To answer OP, no reason from here not to run T6. It's a quality oil.

Edited by Enlight

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

^+1

any quality name brand 5w-40 oil you can get for under $30 in a 5qt jug is good enough, including T6. Dump it in and send it for 3-5k mi. rinse and repeat.

if you live in cold climates/harsh winters, run a 0w-40 in the winter months instead. thats all.

I tell people to run what they want, I have been a big Amsoil dealer where I live and I ship all over the country. I also can get Motul, and Liqui Moly. They are all good, even Mobil 1 Full syn is pretty good. With everything going up in price, I say get what you can at a deal. Motul even at cost is way to high for me to want to spend. Moly is still not bad and Amsoil has raised their prices a bit.

I still run Amsoil in all my cars. Coolant, PS fluid, Brake fluid, PI, hell my lawn mowers full it also. All has been great for the past 15 + years.

Also if you have a daily like I do, the Amazon Oil is pretty good. I have did my research on it and it's not made by them, it just has their label. A very big manufacture bottles it for them and adds their label.

I also still run 5W-30, I am going to switch to a diesel oil soon from Amsoil.

• 2 months later...

@UncleScotty :hide:

T6 5w40 looks to be ok from UOA's online. Same with Motul XCess 5w40. If you can get those easily and for a good price I think they should be gtg.

For track use you might want to look at Redline 5w40? Looks really good on paper (HTHS 4.6) and there are some pretty stellar UOA's of this oil in high powered turbo cars posted online. My 5th gen is on this right now but I cant comment as I dont track and no UOA. I can say that it ive not had to add oil despite a few very spirited trips up the mountains. Looks and feels ok on the dipstick now near the end of my interval (just around 3k miles but at 1 year already), but that doesnt really say anything.

Remember Rotella T6 runs extended in HD trucks-sometimes as many as 50K miles, and all of them are turbo engines. They compete with the Mobil Delvac, so it must be something up to snuff, so I personally run it in my own and have had zero issues ever since I started. Also ran it in my N/A 3.7L Mustang too with no issues whatsoever.

Consider this off topic, but lately I've been liking the idea of mixing in a quart of any of the 5w-30 synthetic high mileage formulas. According to a Blackstone Labs podcast (
) they contain added conditioners for old seals. Unfortunately, there are no 5w-40 synthetic formulations (with the exception of Lucas). Some of our vehicles are approaching 18 years old now.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Consider this off topic, but lately I've been liking the idea of mixing in a quart of any of the 5w-30 synthetic high mileage formulas. According to a Blackstone Labs podcast (
) they contain added conditioners for old seals. Unfortunately, there are no 5w-40 synthetic formulations (with the exception of Lucas). Some of our vehicles are approaching 18 years old now.

That's interesting, ill have to look into it.