LegacyGT.com

2021 Legacy XT voice recognition is the worse!

I've had our vehicle for nearly a year and I can say with certainty that the voice recognition system is the worst in any car I've owned. I can say a command and it responds with something not even close to my request. I know there is no way to teach it to learn my voice so I guess I'm stuck.

By comparison my Jeep understands every command I give it and does it perfectly each time. If anyone has some tips I'd like to hear them.

1) Speak clearly at a normal tone and volume. Do not yell at it.

2) Drive the Jeep.

3) Sell it and buy another Jeep.

I absolutely love it when people yell or get frustrated with voice activated stuff like alexa/google home/cars... and then because it can't understand yelling or frustration, the user gets moorrreeee frustrated exacerbating the issue.

I absolutely love it when people yell or get frustrated with voice activated stuff like alexa/google home/cars... and then because it can't understand yelling or frustration, the user gets moorrreeee frustrated exacerbating the issue.

It should be set up to yell back at you.

I know there are folks who get upset whenever someone criticizes Subaru. I'm only complaining about one aspect of the car that doesn't perform the way I would want despite trying everything I can do. I do enjoy the Legacy very much overall. My beef is with the voice recognition only and a Google search shows that others too have the same issue. I wish there was some way of teaching the system to better recognize my voice.

I've never had a car in my life I could/had to talk to and I've managed to drive very successfully. If this one doesn't work properly by me talking to it I'll do what I've done since 1985, not talk to it.

In fact, I'm disinclined to talk to it, anyhow. Other than cuss a poorly tuned 1981 something or other, I've never talked to a car and see no reason to change that. Especially if the tech is going to piss me off every time I try. Life is too short.

• 2 weeks later...
1) Speak clearly at a normal tone and volume. Do not yell at it.

2) Drive the Jeep.

3) Sell it and buy another Jeep.

So clever. You must be very proud of yourself.

The system must be trained on grumpy men from Indiana, because it is HILARIOUSLY bad at understanding anyone else.

Hate to say it, but I find the whole nav/AI part of the head unit to be useless. I just plug in the phone and use Apple Carplay. Not perfect, but better than the default.