LegacyGT.com

Top feed converversion, so lost...

I read so many threads , looked at a bunch of products and I'm more confused than when I started.

Sorry know this is a common mod but the more I read the more I'm unsure. It's also the fist thing I need to do in order of reassembly for my mods and I want to get it right.

05 legacy gt is what I'm working on.

What is needed to do a tip feed converversion ?

Do I need/want to do the the parrelel line conversion wile I'm at it.

Are these flow dampers needed and I'm confused.

What is the difference between top feed " conversion rails" and regular rails. I noticed some tvg deletes said they will not work with conversion rails.

Can I use any top feed tvg if I plan to redo my files lines.

Is there just a kit I can buy ? Could not find a model specific one.

Thanks guys

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Well really my only reason for doing it is tuner wants ID 1050 injectors

The way I understand it I need new tgv's and at that point used tgv's are not all that more than deletes and same goes with the lines I have made AN lines before and the materials are not much more than used lines from a top feed set up

Not that I'm anti-topfeed conversion, but I have a set of JDM sidefeed deletes kicking around that you could have for 50 bucks and a hi five.

Else, you can go with pretty much any set of OEM topfeed rails that doesn't have the FPR directly on the rails (like 06-07 WRX which have an FPR in said location). You'll also need the inline pulse dampers that come with a topfeed car, or aftermarket dampers like the ones from Radium. I have learned through experience that the ones that mount directly to the fuel rails work best, in which case you'd need a set of rails that accept them (IAG or Radium), and the Radium dampers themselves. Then, an aftermarket or OEM blocking style regulator to replace the recirc reg on the 05, with appropriate fittings/adapters.

My opinion is that there's no benefit in running parallel until the fuel flow demands it because so much fuel needs to pass through the rails that there's a meaningful pressure drop in an inline system. I'm sitting at around 350 whp/390 wtq on E85 with an inline setup using Radium rails with -6 AN lines, and will absolutely keep the fuel system the same when I go to a bigger turbo shortly.

I can probably be more clear when less full of adult beverages

Edited by awfulwaffle

Nice , thank you.

What will I need to adapt that to my current fuel system, for sure some replacement hose to connect the rails back together but after that I'm lost

Not that I'm anti-topfeed conversion, but I have a set of JDM sidefeed deletes kicking around that you could have for 50 bucks and a hi five.

Else, you can go with pretty much any set of OEM topfeed rails that doesn't have the FPR directly on the rails (like 06-07 WRX which have an FPR in said location). You'll also need the inline pulse dampers that come with a topfeed car, or aftermarket dampers like the ones from Radium. I have learned through experience that the ones that mount directly to the fuel rails work best, in which case you'd need a set of rails that accept them (IAG or Radium), and the Radium dampers themselves. Then, an aftermarket or OEM blocking style regulator to replace the recirc reg on the 05, with appropriate fittings/adapters.

My opinion is that there's no benefit in running parallel until the fuel flow demands it because so much fuel needs to pass through the rails that there's a meaningful pressure drop in an inline system. I'm sitting at around 350 whp/390 wtq on E85 with an inline setup using Radium rails with -6 AN lines, and will absolutely keep the fuel system the same when I go to a bigger turbo shortly.

I can probably be more clear when less full of adult beverages

That's is my power goal about 300 to 350 on e85 with a 16g turbo, but I would still need different tgv's in addition to the rails correct ?

Not necessarily, you can buy adapter kits to re-use sidefeed TGVs with topfeed rails, from at least Cobb and IAG, maybe others. I've installed the Cobb set on a customer car since he already had sidefeed TGV deletes, and they worked great. That said, you might as well get a nice ported set of topfeed TGV deletes if they're still available given the EPA crackdown (and if you can find a tuner who's willing to tune with deletes).

Not necessarily, you can buy adapter kits to re-use sidefeed TGVs with topfeed rails, from at least Cobb and IAG, maybe others. I've installed the Cobb set on a customer car since he already had sidefeed TGV deletes, and they worked great. That said, you might as well get a nice ported set of topfeed TGV deletes if they're still available given the EPA crackdown (and if you can find a tuner who's willing to tune with deletes).
Ya that's what I was wondering if I can use something like these

https://eliteracefab.com/products/radium-engineering-subaru-ej-top-feed-fuel-rail-conversion-kit

Or

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/fuel-system/subaru-side-feed-to-top-feed-fuel-rail-conversion-kit-with-fittings-sti-04-06-fxt-04-05-lgt-05-07?gclid=CjwKCAjw3riIBhAwEiwAzD3TibtNWEZl65VFoIDxUpVz5fHPfz8HqgWcVTEanjo6YRcvvi4_ybVxERoCLU8QAvD_BwE

And not mess with my tvg's as I honestly would rather not.

But I can't find a right up using either and what I would need to do to plumb it in to my existing fuel system

You essentially need to get a fuel pressure regulator, and enough lines/fittings to make connections. You'll need 5/16 QD fittings at the end where the send and return line connect to the steel lines running to the fuel tank. If you can wait a bit, I can post up a list of everything you'll need, have it listed somewhere.

If it’s any help you’re more than welcome to see what a complete set up looks like. My ‘05 track car is over in the old mill district. Sounds like a similar set up as to what your doing. 16G, OEM WRX top feed fuel rails, IAG TGV deletes, 1050 injectors. As for dampers and associated lines, can’t help much there but everything looks to be OEM. Guess that’s the problem with having your tuner do all the work, it leaves you a bit in the dark with the details :)

That kit doesn't have any dampers though

You can splice factory inline dampers into the IAG kit, just need to cut the send and return line and fuel line clamp the dampers in place. You can also technically re-use your factory recirc FPR if you want to keep costs down. For a 300-350 whp setup it should flow OK, just may not be able to pass full bypass flow of a bigger fuel pump (340 lph or so) at 100% duty cycle, so your car will start a little on the rich side before fueling corrections kick in. I dealt with that for years without detrimental effect, except some stumbling on hot restarts.