• ale/lager/heffenweisen
    • Fruity drink
    • hard liquer/mixed
    • Wine
    • I cant drink cuz im in AA

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Patron is good stuff, but for Bulldogg, I'd have to break out the really good stuff -- Don Julio 1942, or Milagro Select Barrell Reserve Anejo :icon_bigg .

Whoa....i have been wanting to try those for quite some while. (wipes drool away from lower lip)

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate
:p

Well, as of tonight, I've got another one to add to the list. Tonight, for my 40th birthday, my wife presented me with a bottle of Jose Cuervo Reserva de Familia (I believe it is the 2004 bottling). It is very smooth, with strong wood tones, and a sort of nutty flavor. It will be a great alternative for special occasions, along with the Don Julio 1942. Hopefully, I'll keep them both around for a while.

I think I mentioned the reserva to you months ago when you were getting into tequilla.

That is hands down one of my absolute favorites, if not favorite.

Yep, I remember it coming up before in this thread. I actually tried it once before, when I bought my first bottle of Don Julio 1942. I told the liquor store guy that when the 1942 came in, I'd open it up and let him try a sample, and he said that he would bring in his personal bottle of the Reserva de Familia so I could try it at the same time.

My wife asked me for a list of booze that I would want for a present, and I put the Reserva at the top of the list. The one sample I had had was enough to know I liked it pretty well, and I had already just bought a bottle of the 1942 last week. I didn't want to gamble on something totally new (after the El Tesoro Paradiso that I didn't really like), and I knew that the Reserva was readily available.

I tried just one small glass last night of the Reserva, so I don't feel qualified to really judge it yet, but my first impression is that it is smooth with a strong wood flavor. I much prefer that to the overly sweet flavor of some anejos (like the Paradiso), but I still have to say that the 1942 is my favorite by a good margin. I'll have to drink some more of the Reserva to be able to give it a fair assessment.

I tried Stockyard Oatmeal Stout over the weekend and thought it was pretty nice and drinkable. It had the right level of carbonation for drinking straight out of the bottle, and had a pretty clean taste. It was the kind of stout you could drink several bottles of pretty easily.

Drinking Apple martinis with the lady tonight...

(smirnoff triple distilled and apple pucker)

A little tip for Apple Martinis: try adding a half-shot of Midori and a half-shot of Triple Sec (even better: substitute Cointreau or Patron Citronge for the Triple Sec).

I realize these are not common in every liquor cabinet, but if you make apple martinis from time to time, they are worth having around. Patron Citronge is basically the same thing as Cointreau, but is considerably cheaper.

You can play around with the ratios, but I use 1 part vodka, 1 part sour apple pucker schnapps, 1 part Midori, and 1/2 part Citronge. Shaken over ice, of course. It's the recipe I got from California Pizza Kitchen.

I have the average college dorm liquer cabinet, consisting of:

tequilla, Vodka, Rum, Yager, Mixes... ect ect..

Well, you should at least keep some Triple Sec around, for making margaritas, adding to apple martinis, etc.

You can get basic Triple Sec pretty cheap; I want to say $6-8 per bottle.

Also, I would think you could substitute some basic melon schnapps for Midori, although that is not as critical to a basic liquor cabinet as Triple Sec.

But I do love fat tire :icon_bigg
Yep, the bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'.

:lol: J/K. I'm pretty sure I've tried some Fat Tire ale before, but I couldn't tell you what style or even whether I liked it or not.

Right now, I'm sipping Tequila Espolon Anejo. This is a pretty nice one. I tried it a few months ago and liked it, so I thought I'd give it another shot.

For the price ($50.99), I like it better than anything I've tried except Don Julio Anejo. It's a little woodier tasting than the Don Julio, and it's got a slight hint of coconut, plus some of the same butterscotch flavor that the Don Julio has.

IMO, Espolon should consider making a super-premium, longer-aged anejo tequila, because they are definitely on the right track with this one. It is a lot like the Milagro Select Barrel Reserve Anejo, but maybe not quite as smooth.

2 Boddingtons (my most favorite of beers) and 1 Newcastle.
Nice choices!

Let's see...although I'm currently polishing off the last of my bottle of Tequila Espolon Anejo, I spent the last two nights drinking beer and bourbon. Specifically, I was at a buddy's weekend lake cabin party, and I brought some Sierra Nevada Summer Ale, and some Amstel (trying to appeal to the crowd), along with some Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit bourbon. I also drank a few beers brought by others (Fat Squirrel ale and Road Slush Stout, both from the New Glarus Brewing Co., plus probably 1 or 2 others I can't remember), and two or three Mike-a-Ritas.

The Kentucky Spirit is, to me, a very nice bourbon (disclaimer: I'm not a whiskey drinker). I had sampled it previously at a Scotch & bourbon tasting dinner, and it was my favorite. Six months later, I can say that I think I chose a good favorite from among that group. It's amazingly smooth and drinkable, despite being cask-strength (101 proof). I think I will definitely pick up a bottle to add to my liquor cabinet selection.

BTW, I was sipping the Kentucky Spirit neat, as I do with tequila.

I'm trying to chew through my inventory of leftover beer from parties/get-togethers. It's mostly stuff I wouldn't buy for myself, but I got it for other people's benefit. So tonight, I had three bottles of Amstel Light (plus one earlier this afternoon). Now I've switched over to Don Julio Anejo which I just picked up today. I don't think I'll be going back to beer tonight.

I attended a beer tasting dinner tonight, co-sponsored by the Summit Brewery and the Big Buck Restaurant in Minnetonka. It was a five-course dinner, with a different Summit beer accompanying each course. They committed a slight breach of protocol by starting with the darkest/heaviest beer, and moving to the lightest over the course of the evening. In order, the beers were: Great Northern Porter, Extra Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, Grand Pilsner, and Scandia Belgian-style.

I think the reason for the unusual order was that the Summit Brewery wanted to highlight their Scandia Belgian style beer, which is a limited production draft-only product.

Unfortunately, my preference is such that the beers went from best to worst over the course of the night, although the meal was great, and the beers were excellent examples of their styles (although they weren't necessarily my favorite styles). I just don't happen to be a fan of most wheat beers.

My neighbor and I moved to the bar for one more drink after dinner, and I opted for a shot of 1800 Reposado in a snifter. The 1800 Reposado is not among my favorite tequilas, but it is not bad, and it is widely available. Dollar for dollar, I think 1800 does a great job across their whole product line (silver, reposado, and anejo).

Archived