• Fruity drink
    • hard liquer/mixed
    • Wine
    • I cant drink cuz im in AA

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i've had that be4. i wasn't really that impressed :confused:
Yeah, it's a matter of taste. I've always liked it. On the other hand, I've never been a big fan of the wheat ale/Belgian style that is common among summer ales.

I also like a good pilsner style lager in the summer, like a Pilsner Urquell, or a Harp.

Yeah, it's a matter of taste. I've always liked it. On the other hand, I've never been a big fan of the wheat ale/Belgian style that is common among summer ales.

I also like a good pilsner style lager in the summer, like a Pilsner Urquell, or a Harp.

Harp isn't bad! i may just buy the Harpoon Summer Ale next time i beer shop.

Kenda:dm:

Well, I went booze shopping last night and ended up spending a LOT more than I had planned. Bought myself a new bottle of Patron & a gallon or something of Sauza gold for margauritas ($60 + $27).

Then, I picked up a bottle of Johnnie Walker for my soon-to-be-father-in-law... He's always talking about the various levels of quality of Johnnie Walker. There's Red Label, Black Label, Green Label, Gold Label - and then there's Blue Label. At first I wussed out and bought a bottle of Gold label ($75), but after driving a couple blocks away, I decided it was really worth the extra expense. Cinco de Mayo aside, it's his daughter's (my fiance) graduation from College, plus we're getting married this summer and he's ponying up a LOT of dough for that. Soooo...I exchanged it for a bottle of Blue Label ($225). If he opens it this weekend, I'll be sure to try a sip and tell ya all how it tastes :D

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Your booze prices seem awfully high, jazzy. is that a Montana thing? I know our prices in Minnesota are generally higher than Illinois, for example, and here, Patron Anejo is generally $49.99, and Johnnie Walker Blue is around $165.

bought some Sam Adams Summer Ale tonight. just cracked and boy it's different!! it says "brewed with wheat malt, lemon zest, and grains of paradise." i can REALLY taste the lemon zest. HOLY COW!!! more wheaty than i'm normally used too. probaly should ahve "cleaned my palatte" from the Red Hook IPA be4 i divulged into this. or maybe it just needs to be colder. i dunno. ill have to sip on it and review it again later.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumpage!

Was at the store tonight and they were giving away beer samples!! Obviously i took them! It called Stone Mill and it's an oragnic beer. They gave away a pale ale and a lager. i'm currently having the pale ale and it taste alot different than most pale ale's. It's not bad, just different.

rfd...we need a tequilla update!! :lol:

rfd...we need a tequilla update!! :lol:
Well, I'll tell you what: I've been going through the stuff like water! This is turning into a seriously expensive habit.

Right now, I'm sipping Don Julio Anejo. I never get tired of it; to me, it's what tequila is all about. A week or so ago, I regretfully took a $90 gamble on a bottle of El Tesoro Paradiso; I knew it was a mistake as soon as I took the first sip. It's just too sweet & syrupy-tasting for me. I wouldn't have guessed it was tequila if I didn't know. I drank about three-fourths of it and gave the rest to the guy at the liquor store who likes tequila. I actually prefer the regular El Tesoro Anejo, which is only like $35.99/bottle.

Last week I had a bottle of Milagro Select Barrel Reserve Anejo, and it was as good as I remembered. I have to say it ranks right up there with my favorite tequilas. It is very smooth and flavorful, with just the right amount of wood tones from the barrel.

I ordered two bottles of Don Julio 1942 (one to give to a guy at work) which I'll get late next week. It still ranks as my favorite tequila, although it is too pricey to drink every day. Hopefully, it is as good as I remember it being.

Here's my totally subjective rankings of aged tequilas that I've drank at least several shots of, on a 1-10 scale (I could change my mind tomorrow):

9.5 Don Julio 1942

9.0 Milagro Select Barrel Reserve Anejo

8.5 Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia

8.0 Don Julio Anejo

8.0 Espolon Anejo

7.0 Patron Anejo

6.0 El Tesoro Anejo

6.0 1800 Anejo

5.0 Milagro Select Barrel Reserve Reposado

5.0 Cabo Wabo Reposado

5.0 Tres Generaciones Anejo

5.0 Cabo Wabo Anejo

4.0 1800 Reposado

4.0 El Tesoro Paradiso

4.0 El Diamante del Cielo Anejo

I didn't consider silver/blanco tequilas above, but of the three I feel qualified to judge (1800 Silver, Patron Silver, Gran Centenario Plata), I like the 1800 as much or more than the other two and it is also by far the cheapest (~$22.99).

Switching gears to beer, I'd like to plug a local Minnesota product that I had the opportunity to try yesterday. Surly Brewing Co. is a new enterprise founded by a local beer enthusiast, and I was impressed by their Brown Ale. It was almost like a Porter, but with a very crisp, clean, fruity finish.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, Surly products are currently only available on draft at local bars & restaurants.

Tried the Don Julio 1942 last night. It was very smooth.
Even my wife said the 1942 was good, and she doesn't generally like any straight booze. Where did you try it, a bar or restaurant? I have to special order it, and the only bottle I've actually seen in person is the one I bought last time.
A buddy of mine was telling me about the Patron Platinum. Have you tried it?
No, I haven't. I saw it in one of the local stores in the locked glass case, priced at $199. I don't think I'll be spending two hundred bones on a bottle of blanco tequila, but I'd be willing to spend $25 to try a snifter of it if I ever see it at a bar or restaurant.

There is a possibility I might spend some serious dough on a bottle of anejo later in the year, though. If I accomplish some business goals I set, I promised myself a bottle of top-of-the-line anejo. The one I originally had in mind was Herradura Seleccion Suprema:

Herradura Seleccion Suprema Muy Añejo Tequila 99/100 A highly sophisticated, masterfully crafted, añejo designed for slow contemplative sipping. Truly one of the world's greatest spirits. (tasted on Jul-01-2002)
I've seen it ranked at the top of some other lists as well; however, after the experience with the highly-rated El Tesoro Paradiso, I'm a little leery about taking a $300 gamble on something I've never tried. The other possibility would be Don Julio Real, which is about the same price. It's presumably their top-of-the-line, and I love the other Don Julio products, but a couple websites actually rank the Real lower than the 1942, so I don't know what I'll do. Maybe I'll try to find some really fancy Mexican place where I can sample one or both first.

sorry u had to find out the pricey way about a bad tequilla :(
Actually, I can't say it is bad; it is just a style that I don't particularly like. I think it has to do with the barrel it is aged in (possibly a cognac barrel?). The guy at the liquor store that I gave the rest of the bottle to thought it was great, but he also really liked the Cielo Anejo that is also at the bottom of my list. Like with beer or anything else, everyone has their own valid opinion of what they like.:)

For the record, any adult beverage with the word "lite" or "light" in its name is not a real beer.

That is all. :)

I mostly agree, but I don't mind an occasional Amstel on a hot summer day.:)

so do you find your good tequillas at authentic mexican places or bars? i've never actually looked at the liquor selection at an authentic mexican joint b/c im usually only there for the AWESOME lunch specials (seems i have an idea for lunch tomorrow!). I've been to the main stream mexican places (Don Paublo, etc) and they havent had anything mentioned here.

i agree anything with "light" or "lite" aint beer!! :lol:

so do you find your good tequillas at authentic mexican places or bars? i've never actually looked at the liquor selection at an authentic mexican joint b/c im usually only there for the AWESOME lunch specials (seems i have an idea for lunch tomorrow!). I've been to the main stream mexican places (Don Paublo, etc) and they havent had anything mentioned here.
Actually, around here, the chain Mexican places have pretty good selection. Don Pablo's has Patron, Don Julio, Casa Noble, Corazon, Tres Generaciones, 1800, and a few others, plus the basic cheap tequilas (Cuervo, Sauza). For most of the good brands they have at least two of the three varieties (blanco/silver, reposado, anejo). I went to a Chevy's the other day, and they had an excellent selection too, including some I hadn't tried before. I was at a Chili's not too long ago, and they had a few top-shelf products, but their selection wasn't as good as Don Pablo's or Chevy's.

I've only been to one authentic Mexican restaurant since I started drinking a lot of tequila, and their selection was disappointing. They had several different varieties of cheap stuff, but the only top-shelf they had were Tres Generaciones Anejo, 1800 Reposado, and Patron Silver. I'm hoping to try some nicer Mexican places out to see what they carry.

Regular bars & restaurants are hit or miss. I've been to a couple recently that had Don Julio Anejo, but that's unusual. Almost everyplace has 1800 Reposado, which is probably by far the #1-selling top-shelf tequila in the USA. It'll do in a pinch if I'm in the mood for tequila, but it's nothing remarkable. Patron Silver also seems to be fairly common in bars; it's not really a sipping tequila, so maybe they are trying to market it to the younger crowd as a high-end "shooting" tequila. Cabo Wabo is another trendy brand that a number of bars carry (usually the reposado).

Some of the others I have tried are brands I have seen & bought at the liquor store. If possible, I try to read reviews on the internet before I spend the money on something new. These websites are pretty good, but I don't always agree with their ratings:

http://www.pocotequila.com/index.html

http://www.tastings.com/spirits/tequila.html

Right now, I'm drinking a Mike-arita, from the makers of Mike's Hard Lemonade. It's about on a par with those pre-made margaritas that come in a plastic bottle, i.e. so-so. Maybe I'd like it better if it was 90 degrees out and I was sitting out on the deck or something.

Even my wife said the 1942 was good, and she doesn't generally like any straight booze. Where did you try it, a bar or restaurant? ]

We tried it at a restaurant in San Francisco, called Tommy's Mexican Food on Geary Blvd. The place is well known for their "wall of tequila", which boasts over 200 bottles of tequila. The food there is slammin' as well. It was a very long night.

We tried it at a restaurant in San Francisco, called Tommy's Mexican Food on Geary Blvd. The place is well known for their "wall of tequila", which boasts over 200 bottles of tequila. The food there is slammin' as well. It was a very long night.
That sounds awesome! I need to find a place like that.

Archived