LegacyGT.com

longevity of coil packs

How long do stock coil packs last? I have 154k, modded for well over 100k of that, bigger turbo, e85.

Just had a terrifying situation where the coil pack cutout at WOT, put me in limp mode and gave a cylinder 4 misfire. When I pulled the coil pack, cylinder 1's coil pack bolt was actually starting to back out and I could rock the coil pack around. 90% sure that was my problem, but I swapped 1 and 4 anyway, tightened them down and started back up.

Running perfect again, but got me wondering how long coil packs last and if I should swap them all out as preventative maintenance. It looks like it would be about $320 for the set.

Mine are all original too. 16 years, 182k miles.

I have a spare set I keep in the spare tire well for situations like you’re describing but I’ve never had any issues with mine.

They are rubber, so they don't last forever. That said, I didn't replace mine during an engine rebuild and mine are 16 years old with 217K on them and work fine. It rains a lot here and I'm not getting water past them or anything like that.

You're definitely not driving her enough, she's hating you!:lol:

First one failed during a logging pull. It wouldn’t fire properly under high load. Second one failed while on a spirited back road drive and wouldn’t fire properly under load. Third one failed during removal. The rubber boot tore so I replaced it. The two that had operational issues were both beginning to weld rate at the layered metal block.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder