LegacyGT.com

AWD with selectable RWD

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correction, a high speed drift car is exactly what I’m looking to do with my car even though I’m on a budget. In all honesty, I want to be able to give my car some gas and feel the rear end start to slide out but keep my car under control. I know if I want more of a drift car I should get a manual transmission but that won’t happen for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
To achieve even close to your goal you will need roughly your cars value in upgrades, then consider those upgrades and their cost as maintenance because they WILL break if abused. Sti’s that come with what you want are still a far cry from a drift car. They will slide and even with the dccd adjust as far back as it will go, they won’t slide like a drift car and when you try and counter steer they just turn. You have two things going against you, the platform of the car and your budget.

DCCD doesn’t control front/rear bias. It only controls the % lock between the front and rear axles. This has been mentioned several times.

When referring to an sti having what he wants, I was referring to being able to get the rear end to slide, not the selectable rear/ awd

Just to clearify what I said, I don’t want 100% RWD, I want to be able to choose RWD with a little bit more power going to the rear wheels to make drifting a little bit easier.

Based in this statement I am guessing you might be thinking of other 4WD vehicles or have spoken to people who are familiar with 4WD like a Jeeps.

Just for clarification these 4wd vehicles have selectable 4WD, 2WD, 4high, 4 low, etc this is because they have a transfer unit. This is a separate part that is bolted to the transmission with selectable modes to send power where you want it.

This is not how Subarus are designed. Subarus have the center differential built into the transmission, there are a few varieties of transmissions but they are similar in this regard.

Your best bet is to buy another car to hoon around, your cheapest option might be a salvage option from IAAI (I might be missing an A???) these are cars that are being sold by the insurance companies for pennies on the dollar.

Gut that thing, sell off parts to pay for mods, and don't register this as a street vehicle, off road use only. Also get a cage of some sort this will save your life if you mess up at anything over 25 mph.

I'm 40 now most of us that are a little older have learned (often the hard way) don't make your daily into a race car, you just end up broke and on foot.

Lastly and this is not entirely a joke I just heard a local blood bank paying $700/month for plasma, so there is always that option if you are tight on funds.

Brz’s will be cheap soon. There are so many driving around already that are missing bumpers, have multi colored panels or are just hacked up. They are the modern day 240sx in that regard. Keep your legacy and grab one of those! Or if you want rwd with selectable 4wd, an amc eagle.

• 3 months later...
It’s been a while, yes I would like a drift car but I also want it to be a good every day normal driving car. It’d just be fun as hell to be in turn and tap my electronic gas pedal and the rear starts to go into a controllable slide/drift. Yeah I ordered an electronic gas pedal and I installed the electronic gas pedal and holy shit.

Thanks for bringing this thread back up to the top! What an, um, interesting read! Thank you OP, I am humored in a really weird way by all of this. In the end though, I am firmly in the "you picked the wrong car" camp. Hope you find what you're looking for eventually, sliding around is one of my favorite activities too. Just have to wait until some snow is on the ground and that car of yours will be the right amount of fun.

Bravo too if this is a troll thread, that electronic pedal comment was pretty good. I've got me one of those too!

Edited by bubbagump