LegacyGT.com

The AWD Squirrels Return: A story of murder and Ressurection

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oem-online-subaru-parts-vendors-list-42243.html

Contact Benny from one of the last post in that forum. I contact him on a PM I think.

He may be able to help. see post 163

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the intake installed today. I was going to mount the exhaust but it was pretty corroded. I used a while wheel on a drill as well as block sanding to get them to this point but the down pipe flange is looking like a lost cause. The head shields are 170k miles of "rust welded" in place by the exhaust bolts and I can't get in there to really block sand the flange. Any have any ideas on the usability of these headers given the condition of the DP flange? I ordered a 2014 WRX Oil Control Valve to see if maybe that will fit in the other head.

421271732_OBXTsmall3(4of5).thumb.jpg.5e5b9a1e0130b1569c96ad4059c5dd5c.jpg

1116972854_OBXTsmall3(2of5).thumb.jpg.b143b51ea7b2b357bdff02320faefc56.jpg

1083966558_OBXTsmall3(3of5).thumb.jpg.865c2ac141c734d4e0ff4774218805fe.jpg

672252211_OBXTsmall3(5of5).thumb.jpg.181229bfa28feb51604fd317f9f3f59e.jpg

Edited by ViscousSquirrel

I put red RTV on the DP gasket let it tack up for 15 minutes, lay it on the DP, put more red RTV on the other side of the gasket, let it tack up then put them together.

Your sure thats the Dp flange...looks like the up pipe flange on the manifold...?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I put red RTV on the DP gasket let it tack up for 15 minutes, lay it on the DP, put more red RTV on the other side of the gasket, let it tack up then put them together.

Your sure thats the Dp flange...looks like the up pipe flange on the manifold...?

Yeah... I was thinking the red RTV route might work as well but I REALLY don't want to go that way... :( .

Yeah it's the downpipe flange on the exhaust manifold that bolts to the downpipe coming from the turbo.

I think you are overthinking it big time. It's the exhaust, that's why they have thicker gaskets. The gasket will eat up all the discrepancies! Sealant on the uppipe? Wait there is some confusing terminology going around. The picture you showed is the end of the header which connects to the uppipe, the downpipe is the back of the turbo. At no point would I use sealant on either. The turbo is in between the downpipe and uppipe, pipe between the exhaust manifold and turbo is the uppipe and the pipe after the turbo leading to exhaust is the downpipe. Uppipe meaning its the upstream, the pressure which moves the turbine, and the downpipe is the downstream or final exhaust.

The exhaust side of turbo is solid metal, if you need some type of sealant between the downpipe and turbo something is wrong, the exhaust is a physically bolted and stabilized system, there is no slack, why would you need sealant, no way are the surfaces that bad where the gasket can't compensate, if so you shouldn't use that part. I can understand maybe some copper crap like the stuff on o2 sensors but sealant doesn't make sense to me, the exhaust pressure isn't enough to need sealant imo. Edited by Tehnation

Yeah it's the downpipe flange on the exhaust manifold that bolts to the downpipe coming from the turbo.

Downpipe doesn't connect to exhaust manifold, that's what's confusing me! I don't understand this sentence lol, something is wrong with it.

Exhaust manifold -> uppipe -> turbo -> downpipe.

Got the intake installed today. I was going to mount the exhaust but it was pretty corroded. I used a while wheel on a drill as well as block sanding to get them to this point but the down pipe flange is looking like a lost cause. The head shields are 170k miles of "rust welded" in place by the exhaust bolts and I can't get in there to really block sand the flange. Any have any ideas on the usability of these headers given the condition of the DP flange? I ordered a 2014 WRX Oil Control Valve to see if maybe that will fit in the other head.

the only fix for this is KillerB's holy headers coated. sorry. its a real bummer

Well, a friend is sending me a set of factory manifolds with good mating surfaces so I can put my exhaust issues to bed. I am really not a fan of headers on street cars.

I picked some new Grimmspeed gaskets and I grabbed the double thick one that hopefully will prevent a leak from the factory manifold to the aftermarket catless uppipe. Thanks for the tip on the thick gaskets BTW, I appreciate it.

Is that a thrashed Banjo bolt next to the heat shield? What's the story on that, it looks gruesome?

No those are just the nuts and bolts from the heatshield and or dp to turbo.

That is the bracket that mounts to the top two turbo/dp bolts that holds the heatshield.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the detailed parts descriptions ViscousSguirrel. My long block is at the shop and this rebuild thread is going to help me a ton when it gets back. Also inspiration on which hoses I want to replace while I am at it.

Mahalo!

-Tim