LegacyGT.com

upper coolant hose swelling

As the title says, this is weird because

1. I have a new OEM rad cap

2. new radiator (not oem but new)

3. new oem thermostat

4. new oem upper and lower coolant hoses

I just did a cross-country drive from Maryland to Utah in about 3 days. Car ran awesome. Never got really hot (max 213F). But stayed closer to 198F or so for most of the time.

I just noticed the upper hose swollen when the engine is hot. AND I noticed that the overflow tank coolant level is not really changing between cold and hot. So looks like coolant is not going there. Why?

First, I thought the culprit was the 5000 miles old oem rad cap. But I just changed it again this morning and it is still doing it. I also checked the two small hoses from the radiator to the overflow tank to make sure there was no debris in them. Nothing.

Any thoughts?

Engine has 170K. Runs great.

Important Edit: I believe I did not change the upper hose after all! See post 24.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

The top hose on my wagon has a nylon mesh over it. So I'm guessing your just noticing something that has always been there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Is it getting real big ? A little swelling is normal.

I gather its the whole length of the hose.

The two different caps are in the correct positions. I know your good with these cars. I'm just thinking of things to ask.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

It does get quite big. Not super crazy large, but still abnormally large and hard. You can't even really press on it.

And yeah, caps are at their right location, and both OEM. I can clearly see that the coolant does not get to the overflow tank when the engine is hot. Its level does not change. But I know it should.

So you have the cap with wings on the turbo tank and the round, wingless cap on the radiator (just wanting to be 100% sure)?

When you say "overflow" tank do you mean the turbo tank or the overflow bottle by the driver's side headlight?

I've never had the upper radiator hose so hard that I couldn't squeeze it fairly easily.

Yes. cap with wings on turbo tank and (brand new) round cap on radiator.

The overflow tank I am referring to is the one next to the radiator and DS headlight, yes.

Weird :confused:

And remember, I did 2300 miles like that, pushing boost in canyon drives and stuff :spin:. I did have BtSsm running at all times and everything was just fine. I even modified the timing when I had to switch to 91 from 93. But that's unrelated.

Yes. cap with wings on turbo tank and (brand new) round cap on radiator.

The overflow tank I am referring to is the one next to the radiator and DS headlight, yes.

Weird :confused:

And remember, I did 2300 miles like that, pushing boost in canyon drives and stuff :spin:. I did have BtSsm running at all times and everything was just fine. I even modified the timing when I had to switch to 91 from 93. But that's unrelated.

Cool, just wanted to double check as you had mentioned in the first post about "checking the two small hoses" and that's the turbo tank :-D

When it's cool, what are the levels in the radiator and turbo tanks, are they full?

Cool, just wanted to double check as you had mentioned in the first post about "checking the two small hoses" and that's the turbo tank :-D

When it's cool, what are the levels in the radiator and turbo tanks, are they full?

The two small hoses I am referring to are the ones essentially linking the radiator (at the cap) to the overflow reservoir.

As for the levels, the radiator seems full. I did not check the turbo tank though. Maybe I should. Then again, I know something is up because the coolant overflow level is not bulging from cold to hot.

I don't have help. I just wanted to say you came to utah and didn't say what's up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still there :). Enjoying 104F in Saint George. In the process of moving and debating where to stay.

Saint George UT, A buddy and I got told by the local Police to "leave and don't ever come back" once. We were on our way out of town heading to Michigan back in early summer 1979. Every now through out my life, that town keeps popping up. LOL

I'm also wondering about those two small hoses...?

maybe that radiator? The koyo/tyc oem brand is under 100 bucks. Or maybe try another hose, they are like 15 bucks.

That's the one (radiator) I have installed on that car. Did it last year. Also installed the same one on the 05 around the same time. No issue on that one. Hose is essentially brand new. Can't be it. I feel there is a restriction somewhere. I will inspect the hard line connecting the turbo reservoir to the overflow reservoir next to the radiator.

Saint George UT, A buddy and I got told by the local Police to "leave and don't ever come back" once. We were on our way out of town heading to Michigan back in early summer 1979. Every now through out my life, that town keeps popping up. LOL

I'm also wondering about those two small hoses...?

Changed a lot since 1979. Beautiful place. I love the outdoors. So, perfect place, except super hot right now.

the coolant is becoming heated. theres too much pressure, thats why the hose is swelling.

was the new thermostat tested before installed?

Right. Too much pressure due to some restriction somewhere not letting coolant going to the overflow tank. That's my thinking anyway. On the 05, I can tell the hose does not swell like that.

Did not test the thermostat before install. But when I burped it, I could tell it opened at the right temperature point. Coolant temps on this car are just fine too.

if its blocking on the top, and the thermostat is working, I would guess the coolant isnt pushing through the radiator fast enough. Could be just a defective part as well. Or maybe there was air in the system somewhere, or its getting in there somehow. Edited by Tehnation

do you have air compressor? I would drain the coolant and push some air through it, might be a blockage or some crud somewhere in the system.

I have an air compressor, but it is in the POD in MD, while I am here in Utah in a hotel room :).

if its blocking on the top, and the thermostat is working, I would guess the coolant is pushing through the radiator fast enough. Could be just a defective part as well. Or maybe there was air in the system somewhere.

I would think if air was trapped, it would affect the coolant temp no? especially throughout the long 2300 mile drive I just did. But coolant temps were fine.

I am not sure which part would be defective at this point. Radiator? That would be strange.

maybe you just got a sh** hose! I've gone through a bunch, you can get one at any autozone or most auto parts stores, costs like 10 bucks. All you need is a screwdriver. I would change it and see if it returns, only 10 bucks and like 15 minutes of work.

To make it tool free you can get a set of band clamps with the tabs so u can tighten by hand.

You know what guys? I looked back at my purchases and I believe I am mistaken: the upper hose has NOT been changed when I installed the new radiator last week. I did install a new lower hose, and thermostat but did not replace the upper hose. So if it is the original, then it is probably failing even though it still looks good on the outside. Car has 170K now.

I guess I got confused because I had to do this job twice within a month, because both cars had their oem radiators fail around the same time! And I did change the upper hose on one car. I know that.

Dang it, I just wasted 22$ for a new radiator cap.

Did you actually remove the hose? the feel is a lot different installed with coolant vs in your hand, especially when you compare it to a new hose, it can be deceiving. Those hoses go quickly, I would change that asap. Any auto parts store should care one, its standard size subaru part across a lot of models so its always in stock. Edited by Tehnation