LegacyGT.com

Towing with an outback XT

Don't lug the engine and just be smooth. If it feels weird, slow down a little. Stopping distances will be longer so give yourself plenty of space.

You'll be fine, just take it easy and stay aware.

Definitely not I mode. I don't like the throttle feel in S# so I tow in S mode. Stopping distance increase is extremely noticeable. Don't be afraid to let it rev high. I was shifting around 4-5k rpm.

There's not really a way to tow and make it "easy" on the car. Ideally your maintenance is up to date. Trans, diff, and engine oils. If you try to baby the car you'll never make it up a hill.

I pulled 3200ish lbs over the mountains with my 08 OBXT 5mt. You'll be fine but I wouldn't advise it for regular heavy duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure you adhere to the 200# tongue weight, you don't want to bend your subframe. I have a 2.5i 4EAT OB so its different, but I leave in it Sport shift mode, because it shifts at higher rpms and delays my shifts. I have towed with my 5th Gen GT and 2.5i 6MT, I shift at higher rpm, and was liberal with down shifts.

Make sure you adhere to the 200# tongue weight, you don't want to bend your subframe. I have a 2.5i 4EAT OB so its different, but I leave in it Sport shift mode, because it shifts at higher rpms and delays my shifts. I have towed with my 5th Gen GT and 2.5i 6MT, I shift at higher rpm, and was liberal with down shifts.

Where is the tongue weight for the unibody? I have a class 3 hitch and I'm pretty sure it has a tongue weight of 350.

Where is the tongue weight for the unibody? I have a class 3 hitch and I'm pretty sure it has a tongue weight of 350.

It is in the manual (section 8 for 2009). The limiting factor is the frame not the hitch. I have seen report of owner bending the body from exceeding the tongue weight.

Subaru recommends 8-11% of the towing weight be the tongue weight. It warns that the 8% of the tow eight could exceed 200# and that the limit is still 200#'s. Thinking out loud a dual axle trailer could probably allow that scenario.

You could probably could away with only 6% of the tongue weight if you kept your speeds below 50mph. 6% at highway speed is a disaster waiting to happen.

Subaru recommends 8-11% of the towing weight be the tongue weight. It warns that the 8% of the tow eight could exceed 200# and that the limit is still 200#'s. Thinking out loud a dual axle trailer could probably allow that scenario.

You could probably could away with only 6% of the tongue weight if you kept your speeds below 50mph. 6% at highway speed is a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm going to be pulling a dual axle across country. That's mostly why I'm wondering about it. It'll probably end up around 2500-2700lbs. Nothing else in the car.

I'm going to be pulling a dual axle across country. That's mostly why I'm wondering about it. It'll probably end up around 2500-2700lbs. Nothing else in the car.

I have only towed single axle trailers. It seems like you could distributed the weight so that enough weight is before vs after the axles but does not exceed the 200#'s. I am not 100% on that though.