LegacyGT.com

Back to stock boost?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I leave the air box and battery in and just scratch up my hands and forearms. Although, I'm not so sure removing them would make that much difference in the amount of beating the hands take.

I pulled my plugs two days ago to see how things were running and now have the little reminders all over my hands.

Good luck this weekend! I hope you have somewhere decent to work on it.

Also, to do the compression test, from what I have found online is:

Remove all plugs, remove fuel pump fuse/relay (and maybe ignition, one site said crank over and let the car die with the fuel pump fuse out), screw in gauge and crank over 5-8 time to build pressure. Repeat on each cylinder. Also, something about opening up the throttle plate?

Is that correct?

Also, to do the compression test, from what I have found online is:

Remove all plugs, remove fuel pump fuse/relay (and maybe ignition, one site said crank over and let the car die with the fuel pump fuse out), screw in gauge and crank over 5-8 time to build pressure. Repeat on each cylinder. Also, something about opening up the throttle plate?

Is that correct?

Dont really have to remove the fuses. When you go full throttle 100%, it kills the injectors and spark. Kinda like a “clear/flood mode”.

I do this after every oil change to build oil pressure and then crank the car on after.

So just remove the coil packs, sparkplugs. Screw in the compression tester and hold the throttle to the floor and crank it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont really have to remove the fuses. When you go full throttle 100%, it kills the injectors and spark. Kinda like a “clear/flood mode”.

I do this after every oil change to build oil pressure and then crank the car on after.

So just remove the coil packs, sparkplugs. Screw in the compression tester and hold the throttle to the floor and crank it over.

Good to know

Pulled the plugs so far. Getting ready to do the compression test. Those plugs are way down in there. Not too bad, but tight space. The compression test hose is a bugger to get started in the threads.

I think there is a small valve cover leak especially on the passenger side. The top of the engine is just barely damp. I’ll wait till the timing belt needs replaced in 8k or so to have that done.

5ef6894fcc45b4a7fbffe16d51f857b2.jpg

95ff1471ecc50806287e804da91ee9fd.jpg

Good news, all 4 cylinders are between 140-145psi. Putting it all back together now. And swapping the coil pack on #2 and #4.

You using any fuel additives? Plugs seem orange in the photos.

But they look good anyways.

Report back on the coil pack swap then

No additives. They have about 38k on them. I’ve had the car for the last 30k.

I reset the ECU then fired it up. No issues yet. It’s raining, so I’m going to wait till it stops for a test drive.

Also checked for boost leaks and found none.

Edited by Falcor

No additives. They have about 38k on them. I’ve had the car for the last 30k.

I reset the ECU then fired it up. No issues yet. It’s raining, so I’m going to wait till it stops for a test drive.

Also checked for boost leaks and found none.

Try doing the dam relearn procedure before doing any pulls to see if your dam goes up to 1.

Try doing the dam relearn procedure before doing any pulls to see if your dam goes up to 1.

Did a test drive and everything was the same. Swapping the coil didn't help. Link to the log is attached. I'll try to do the DAM relearn tomorrow.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NpjD7X_sLAl5DFzioNboUHX5jw0ZKhnSQQzt4eI5zBE/edit?usp=sharing

Ok, so I decided to try the DAM relearn tonight instead of tomorrow. I went through the procedure and it went from .812 to .875. I pulled over, shut it off, turned it back on and it was back to .812. The log after that is below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mvjNg_fSt5RzDhJV7t0mKyPE0kt5RYFtsVgqRwJIvOM/edit?usp=sharing

I'm doing some research and so far back in November the DAM was .812 in a picture I took. Looking farther back. Also, could it be bad gas? It has 100 or so miles left on this tank. I got it from a place that I have gotten gas at before. I'll get gas at the BP by work. Never had a problem there and they have 93 octane.

With good compression and stuff, I honestly don’t think it’s mechanical.

Try unplugging the Maf sensor and see if it’ll increase dam or if your boost will go back to normal. Dont worry, your car will run on the ecu parameters with the maf unplugged. Just expect to see the cel, cruise and brake lights on the dash when you drive.

This’ll determine if it’s the maf going bad.

Found a pic from November 28, 2017. The starting DAM was .812 then also.

dcd7816fdf88e53507f0b8695bc34b66.jpg

Yes, OTS maps from cobb start at .812

Unless your protuned/tuned and your tuner sets it to 1.

Those plugs do look oddly orange. Did you check the gap on the plugs?

I looked through the log and it doesn't look like your knock is related to boost and your fine knock and knock aren't coming on with your boost either. I forgot, are you getting a check engine light?

I would reset the computer (have you done that yet?) and maybe check and clean your grounds. Seems like a funky issue that may be resolved with a restart of the parameters.

Those plugs do look oddly orange. Did you check the gap on the plugs?

I looked through the log and it doesn't look like your knock is related to boost and your fine knock and knock aren't coming on with your boost either. I forgot, are you getting a check engine light?

I would reset the computer (have you done that yet?) and maybe check and clean your grounds. Seems like a funky issue that may be resolved with a restart of the parameters.

Didn’t check the gap on the plugs I removed, but the new plugs were right about .027 out of the box. There has never been a CEL on the car since I’ve had it. I have reset the Cobb OTS map a few times since this started. Have not messed with the grounds.