LegacyGT.com

Let’s talk about power on STOCK block

STOCK BLOCKS ONLY

how much power are you making on your stock block?

What are your mods? Turbo specifically

5MT or 5EAT

How long have you been running it?

What type of dyno did you tune on?

Looking to find people who are making decent power on their stock block with some sort of reliability. I want to bump up to 400 but have my concerns

I’ll start

306/375

FBO

VF52

1050x injectors

340lph pump

5EAT

Tuned on mustang dyno

Running it for 500 miles. Don’t really drive the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

use a different dyno. you'll get bigger numbers. dynojet will make you happy.

Otherwise I dont understand the question. You could tune a 1000hp on a stock shortblock. It probably won't run very long, but it's been done. Anyone who's interested in decent reliability isn't running 400hp on their stock block.

Also, 306/375? Dyno chart? boost level?

use a different dyno. you'll get bigger numbers. dynojet will make you happy.

Otherwise I dont understand the question. You could tune a 1000hp on a stock shortblock. It probably won't run very long, but it's been done. Anyone who's interested in decent reliability isn't running 400hp on their stock block.

Also, 306/375? Dyno chart? boost level?

Which is why I asked if anyone was running that with any sort of reliability.

20 psi.

He never gave me my chart. I was last of the day and I emailed them and they didn’t respond. Kind of gave up after that. I should probably call them to get it tho

He never gave me my chart. I was last of the day and I emailed them and they didn’t respond. Kind of gave up after that. I should probably call them to get it tho

You got tuned or just dyno run? Either way, I'd ask for your money back. A dyno run without a printout, isn't really a run.

You got tuned or just dyno run? Either way, I'd ask for your money back. A dyno run without a printout, isn't really a run.

It was tuned. Why would a piece of paper or a lack thereof make me want to ask for my money back?

It was tuned. Why would a piece of paper or a lack thereof make me want to ask for my money back?

Idk, you seem like you had a less than stellar experience. no dyno run prinout, no response from tuner, you want to make more horsepower than you have, etc.

did you tell them up front you wanted 400hp? Any decent tuner, given a set of parameters, can tune your car to match or help you assemble the parts to reach your goal.

If you just wanted a dyno queen, why didn't you get a bigger turbo?

Idk, you seem like you had a less than stellar experience. no dyno run prinout, no response from tuner, you want to make more horsepower than you have, etc.

did you tell them up front you wanted 400hp? Any decent tuner, given a set of parameters, can tune your car to match or help you assemble the parts to reach your goal.

If you just wanted a dyno queen, why didn't you get a bigger turbo?

No I didn’t tell them I wanted 400. After a little of driving tho u want some more. That’s all it is. They were actually awesome aside of the no dyno printout. If I called them I’m sure I could get it. Assuming they keep it on file which I think they do. I just never did.

On a DynoJet, I'm making 271 WHP and 320 TQ. I've got a VF46, stock fueling and 07 LGT clutch assembly, and a few light power mods like a turbo inlet and TGV deletes. 213K on the stock block and it's starting to go for reasons unrelated to being run over factory power.

the race wagon under its previous owners only used stock blocks. I believe the highest number was close to 400hp. I got it when the engine failed with 90 minutes of track time.

If you are using an automatic and the tune is not optimized to match it, you'll be down on power. If you like having all your power at the upper end of the rpm scale, you won't have much power in the range you typically drive in. Getting re-tuned to power where you can actually use it might save you money.

My wagon is 310/335 tuned on a mustang. Its makes that from 4000-7000rpm and I drive in 3rd or 4th gear, so Im always at max power. I have an overbuilt block because I did alot of track days. On the street, it's more than enough.

Before spending a bunch of money, put on lightweight 17x8 wheels running a nice summer tire. Michelin Supersports has been my favorite for years. You might find you don't need more power, just less unsprung weight.

^x2

280/300 on a mustang back in Aug 2011

vf52

stock fueling

162,000 miles on the vf52

150,000 miles on the ej257

The car is so much fun to drive and reliable too.

It's really not about the HP its about how the car drives on the street.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

290/330 @ 20psi on EFI's dyno tuned by Calvin.

05 OBXT 5EAT with 19 sti EJ257 with rebuilt heads and 25k on the tune since new engine. Car is a blast to drive!

JMB 16g turbo with billet wheel

ID1000

TBE

TGV deletes

Big TMIC

KS Tech 73MM CAI

Perrin Turbo inlet

Grimspeed EBCS

Transgo JR shift kit

Aux thermostat controlled transmission cooler

ARP headstuds

296HP / 318TQ on a VF52 w/ DW 740CC \Walbro 255 pump. 5MT. Protuned on a Mustang (heartbreaker) at Cobb Surgeline. Ran this set up for numerous years as a daily driver and as well as track car during the summer months. Finally cracked a ring land and replaced with a forged motor / JMP Custom 16G / 1050cc / DW65c pump. Confident I Would not have blown the motor if not for many many days of track abuse. It was my time on the merry go round, especially not running a proper AOS. After a lotta years with this platform, my opinion is 350HP is the most you should go on a stock block (and that only with a good tune) and absolute strict maintenance. Anything over that and you’re on borrowed time. Also depends on how you drive. You could tootle around in a 450HP monster for years if your just babying it but if your actually pushing the car as intended on a regular basis, 350 to the wheels would be my max... Edited by shralp

06 LGT wagon 5eat

285/317 Dynojet tuned @ Precision Tuning

20psi

BNR 16g evo 3

1050x top feed conversion

TGV delete

AEM 340 pump

Aeromotive FPR w/ Parallel fueling

G/S TMIC

IAG AOS (Comp)

Stock intake to turbo except AEM panel filter

Stock bpv

2018 ej257

Heads rebuilt w/shimmed springs (Headgames)

ARP studs

Transgo vb kit

Fluidamper

The tuner explained that it’s making that power easily and safely so I can enjoy the car without concern of blowing it up. I definitely enjoy the car!

The way I understand it the amount of loss through the subaru automatic drivetrain can be as much as 30%+. That said an automatic car making 300whp could be making ~430bhp. So for the sake of longevity 300whp might be the right place for stock internals on an auto LGT.

Reason for the printout is so you can analyze the power curve. Ideally you’d want smooth power delivery right up to redline not a spike of power then drop off (dyno queen).

Don’t forget with the hot weather we have right now here in NJ your butt dyno might be reading a little low on power.

06 LGT wagon 5eat

285/317 Dynojet tuned @ Precision Tuning

20psi

BNR 16g evo 3

1050x top feed conversion

TGV delete

AEM 340 pump

Aeromotive FPR w/ Parallel fueling

G/S TMIC

IAG AOS (Comp)

Stock intake to turbo except AEM panel filter

Stock bpv

2018 ej257

Heads rebuilt w/shimmed springs (Headgames)

ARP studs

Transgo vb kit

Fluidamper

The tuner explained that it’s making that power easily and safely so I can enjoy the car without concern of blowing it up. I definitely enjoy the car!

The way I understand it the amount of loss through the subaru automatic drivetrain can be as much as 30%+. That said an automatic car making 300whp could be making ~430bhp. So for the sake of longevity 300whp might be the right place for stock internals on an auto LGT.

Reason for the printout is so you can analyze the power curve. Ideally you’d want smooth power delivery right up to redline not a spike of power then drop off (dyno queen).

Don’t forget with the hot weather we have right now here in NJ your butt dyno might be reading a little low on power.

Yeah I’m working on getting it. I was supposed to have it by end of day yesterday. Never arrived. I know they are crazy busy at the place I go so I’ll try again today

Finally got my graph. So apparently the power they told me wasn’t exactly right on. Idk why they told me different but it didn’t make 306/375. It made 300/364. Which isn’t really that far off but not sure why they told me different

176065b266070d4ce9988c34c3815e62.jpg

He may have backed it off a bit to be safe.

Either way, I'm sure most of us would be more then happy with what you got.

Now, is the car fun to drive ? reliable ?

If yes, be happy and move on.

I would suggest you send a oil sample off the Blackstone Labs and see how things are doing. Pick a good oil and filter, do the proper maintenance keep an eye on oil usage.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

He may have backed it off a bit to be safe.

Either way, I'm sure most of us would be more then happy with what you got.

Now, is the car fun to drive ? reliable ?

If yes, be happy and move on.

I would suggest you send a oil sample off the Blackstone Labs and see how things are doing. Pick a good oil and filter, do the proper maintenance keep an eye on oil usage.

You’re right prob should just leave it where it is. More power would be fun but idk if it’s worth risking it. It actually runs great. Fun to drive. 0 knock. No issues it all. Doesn’t consume oil. Although I prob wouldn’t notice oil consumption cause I only drive it once and a while anyway. I actually did a sample about 1500 miles ago. That was when I only had Cobb stage 2 but everything was perfect.

Good, remember what I've learned about these cars. They like to be driven for long distance. My Spec only gets driven a few times a month, but when it does it for at least 10 miles highway one way to Saturday night dinner.

You need to get the oil hot enough to boil the moisture out of it.

Good, remember what I've learned about these cars. They like to be driven for long distance. My Spec only gets driven a few times a month, but when it does it for at least 10 miles highway one way to Saturday night dinner.

You need to get the oil hot enough to boil the moisture out of it.

Yeah I’m the same way. I have a nice cruise route I go on. It’s prob like 15 miles each way

From the looks of that torque curve you may be able to feel the torque rolling off after that peak. Looks like it hits really hard but then rolls off somewhat sharply. As it comes down its still in a very respectable range but your butt dyno may feel that and you may perceive it as not pulling as hard as you expect it to. Do you feel like it pulls hard all the way from stomp to redline or do you feel like there’s a kind of plateau in the power? What I’m getting at is you may not need more power but an adjustment to the way it’s delivered.

From the looks of that torque curve you may be able to feel the torque rolling off after that peak. Looks like it hits really hard but then rolls off somewhat sharply. As it comes down its still in a very respectable range but your butt dyno may feel that and you may perceive it as not pulling as hard as you expect it to. Do you feel like it pulls hard all the way from stomp to redline or do you feel like there’s a kind of plateau in the power? What I’m getting at is you may not need more power but an adjustment to the way it’s delivered.

You can feel the difference but you def still feel it pulling. It’s not too bad to redline.

Thats good. I figured it can’t be that bad because you’re still making good torque. I just figure that sudden bump might the feel off a bit. Bet that pull to the torque peak feels wicked.

Oh it does. Throws you back. Makes the car feel faster than it really is lol