LegacyGT.com

Let’s talk about power on STOCK block

My car was tuned on the stock motor, when the VF52 was installed to replace the original turbo. I don't have any printouts since it was the former owner who did that. All I have is the tune itself and the Cobb AP.

Later, the piston ringland let go and destroyed the short block. Of course it may have been lean up top perhaps, I have no data, and it was done by an apparently reputable shop. But made almost exactly 103K and goodbye engine.

It'd be nice to know what it's doing, but I'm sure I won't be impressed considering it's still stock intake/exhaust. But the shortblock is built with STi everything basically, and forged CP pistons.

I just need to fix a few minor things and move on from this car. It's in such perfect shape but it's an Auto trans (boo).

Wonder if there's an AWD dyno event somewhere around here where I could get a quick run at it. I bet the curve would suck down low, it's a dog, might be the TGV stuff. But it sings up top pretty good for what it is.

For the OP...... enjoy it while you can. But if you stomp it a lot even if it's not driven a lot, depending on how many miles it already has..... it could let go near redline in fantastic form like this one did apparently. Then kaboom. Luckily, on this one the turbo and heads were salvageable/rebuildable. It's always better (I guess?) if there isn't enough run time to circulate trash through the oil enough to destroy cams and the stuff

Edited by jp233

Just wish it were MT, is the first thing.

I've already spent enough money on this car.

If I fix the TGV codes soon it will probably be for sale. It's mint for the age and I've kept it that way. Bought from an old friend who really takes care of his stuff.... was his now-ex-wife's and she blew it up. The engine rebuild was fun, it's ready for someone to mod it out.

I just really like the body style of the 05-06 LGT. If I were going to keep it, sell other vehicles, and go stupid on this thing, it'd be FMIC, non-turbo hood, remove useless spoiler, and make a nice sleeper making probably 100 more hp than it does.

Just wish it were MT, is the first thing.

I've already spent enough money on this car.

If I fix the TGV codes soon it will probably be for sale. It's mint for the age and I've kept it that way. Bought from an old friend who really takes care of his stuff.... was his now-ex-wife's and she blew it up. The engine rebuild was fun, it's ready for someone to mod it out.

I just really like the body style of the 05-06 LGT. If I were going to keep it, sell other vehicles, and go stupid on this thing, it'd be FMIC, non-turbo hood, remove useless spoiler, and make a nice sleeper making probably 100 more hp than it does.

Wish mine was an mt too but the autos had way lower miles when I was looking. Wasn’t too keen on buying an mt with 180k on it lol. I got mine at 100 so it gives me a little peace of mind.

I don’t worry too much about getting on mine. I know my afr are on point and I monitor my knock religiously. Always check fluids before driving even though I don’t put any miles on it really. I guess if it’s gonna happen it’s gonna happen anyway but she seems good for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, it will seem good right up until it doesn't... Even getting misfire codes and such have long-been looked at when some of the time it's the first sign of an impending disaster. Just save some bucks along the way and figure on min $4,000 if you need a whole built shortblock, heads and turbo rebuilt.

You may have heard of a saying, "its all in the tune".

There is a reason some of us only recommend two Tuners.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yep, it will seem good right up until it doesn't... Even getting misfire codes and such have long-been looked at when some of the time it's the first sign of an impending disaster. Just save some bucks along the way and figure on min $4,000 if you need a whole built shortblock, heads and turbo rebuilt.

4k for shortblock, heads, and turbo? $1800 for basic (untouched) shortblock from subaru, bare heads are $1300, turbo is $800-$2500 depending on new or rebuild. Assembly and all the nit picky parts tends to come in around $2k.

got car with 19k miles 2nd owner

oh man heres an old video when it was first tuned by Sti Mikey @56,201 miles

must watch for mod list in description :lol:

current setup now and still stock block

recently bought a DD and debating on whether or not to finish build or sell

steamspeed stx 71 (gtx3071r) turbo blanket/GS heatshield

ID 1000s/dw65c (have dw300 on hand)

GS thermal coated TMIC,

perrin ELH ceramic coated, grimmspeed up w/ turbosmart 40mm ewg

invidia catless dp w blanket, q300 w/vibrant resonator

inlet, kstech cold air intake, gs 3port ebcs, cobb ap v3

ngk 1 step colder, APM 5 speed blast plates, act HD streetlite FW, group N motor trans mounts, mishi rad, sti steering rack, spec b interior too many to list

e85 etune by Sti Mikey (Botti)

141,526 miles to date

MAY2020LGT.csv

Edited by tocinoman25
mileage

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

You may have heard of a saying, "its all in the tune".

There is a reason some of us only recommend two Tuners.

Well I used junior barrios jrtuned. So I’d say I’m fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

No idea what numbers i'm running, but I do keep up with evo 8's and i did a highway pull on a 5 series BMW (not an m5) as well as an evo 10. I was faster than both of them.

New Shortblock

rebuilt heads

cheap ass rockauto gasket kit. I know. i know. my headgaskets are on borrowed time.

ARP headstuds

DIY TGV delete

vf48

EBCS

FMIC Racerx

ELH

catless uppipe

3" catless DP

Water Methanol Injection running alaska washer fluid (because alaska has garbage gas and 90 octane is the best we can get)

Stock clutch, also bought off rockauto. it slips when i launch hard, but only in 1st and i'd rather have that be my weakest point than my transmission.

Tuned by https://www.shinjituned.com/ I can't say enough good things about this tuner. He's tuned 3 of my cars and he will tune my next one.

I want to say Romraider told me i was getting just over 260 HP, but i really don't know how to use the dyno portion of that. Perhaps it was doing it wrong, or maybe i'm not and that's where i am. I just know which cars in town i'm faster than. And isn't that all that really matters?

Edited by bobglaub

I guess I’ll put my 07 GT recent protune up.

220k body, 86k motor rebuilt/headgasket

Vf52 with upgraded internals, billet compressor wheel and ported. (Done by mysef)

Tgv deletes

Secondary air pump delete

Cnt ewg uppipe

Tial mvs ewg

Invidia downpipe

Greddy catback

Processwest TMIC

3” Turbo inlet

K&N intake

Synapses DV

ID1000cc injectors

DW300 pump