LegacyGT.com

What's on your mind at this instant? -- Volume 13

ammcinnis

Anybody here gone down the high quality chef knife rabbit hole?

I have a cheap but decent $25 victorinox chef knife that has served me well for the last 10 years or so, but looking to upgrade.

Tons of options to consider. Western or Japanese style? Carbon steel, stainless steel, various proprietary alloys? Single bevel, double bevel?

Anybody here gone down the high quality chef knife rabbit hole?

I have a cheap but decent $25 victorinox chef knife that has served me well for the last 10 years or so, but looking to upgrade.

Tons of options to consider. Western or Japanese style? Carbon steel, stainless steel, various proprietary alloys? Single bevel, double bevel?

You're likely not going to notice a difference in western vs Japanese style knives.

Forged vs stamped too. If you're looking for a quality knife, that's relatively easy to get, and to find a deal on, Henckels will likely treat you well. Go forged. Pro or Twin line usually are made in Germany. The ones made in Spain are still decent knives for sure. The pre-sharpened serrated edges are cheaper and sharp as hell, but i'd pass. There's really no way to keep the edge on them. They are meant to compete with lower end knives. Most of the decent Henckels are carbon stainless.

Usually "Zwilling JA Henckels" knives are the higher end knives... They have the logo with the twin stick figures. They are often made in Germany, though most of my zwillings are made in Spain. The regular or more entry level knives are JA Henckels. Those are typically made in Spain, and aren't as robust.

Wusthof is also a nice knife, but I don't own any.

We have a couple Mac knives that are amazing, but they're like $150 a piece. We also have a Lamson carving set. Amazing knife. Made in the USA too. Not cheap either.

Tldr. I wouldn't worry about the marketing specs too much. Get a nice quality forged knife. Preferably made in Germany, Japan, USA. Keep your edge maintained, and sharpen periodically.

I need to get a knife sharpened and ended up down the youtube rabbit hole last week.
That's what started me down this knife rabbit hole.

Haven't had my knife sharpened in 6 or 7 years....roommate at the time did it.

Ordered a few grits of whetstones, plus a honing steel to keep them cleaned up, and a stone fixer for maintaining the whetstones.

Thought about an electric sharpener but decided to go the old school route.

This is my knife. There are many like it, but this one is mine....